Recent Posts

MARTHA C.
on 11/19/07 11:25 am
Topic: 4 yrs and keep gaining
Im sick to my stomach but Ive gained 30 lbs. I can eat pretty much anything I want. I go to bed every night saying I'm going to cut my calories and do just protein tomorrow but tomorrow never comes. Plz help. Has anyone else had this problem. I dont get full.
Happy Mommy
on 8/5/07 1:09 am - Southern, OR
Topic: RE: Need some help....
Dear Pegi, I know you wrote this post a long time ago. How are you now? I found that no hair cure is good for the long run, once you quit it is back to the drawing board.... Trim your hair and go as short as you can, the shorter, the thicker it is. Eating avacado once a day helped me. I had a baby girl in 2006 and had even more hair loss. I just keep it trimmed up and flush out the hair so I dont have to look at it...... it is finally coming around now. I take B12 shots and never have had a bad test result. After the baby I ran into iron deficency issues and took IV iron treatments and am okay now. Keeping your protein up seems to be the core of staying healthy. Your hair will come back I bet, just is taking time as all things worth waiting for do. Big hug and let me know how you are. Liz 280/120
Happy Mommy
on 8/5/07 1:04 am - Southern, OR
Topic: RE: hungry and reverting to bad habits
HI Donna, I know that this is months later but this is a forever on going process, right? I go back to protein and cut way down on carbs when I get the munchies.... I find I want carbs and the wrong drinks. Even milk is packed with carbs. Count calories and get back to protein...... seriously works and cuts out your cravings. If you are into sugar and sweets, get some jerky, protein bars or shakes and get your fill of protein and top it off with 1 mini candy bar a day........ hugs and let me know how it is going. Liz RhnY 2003
patti72
on 6/3/07 4:21 am - MA
Hi Donna, I am almost 4 yrs out of surgery I hv lost 130pds and I too am hungry all the time I find that myself binging between meals its a habit I cant break. I feel if I hv to eat then eat fruit. I havnt gaind anything but it is becomming hard.
Elaine J.
on 5/15/07 12:14 am
Topic: RE: Advise Please !!
I just found this Oct 2003 site and I have been looking for something like this for a long time. I am in the same situation as everyone here and I thought I was alone in gaining a few pounds back. Also, I sure wish I had lost more in the beginning. I think it was my fault, I should have tried harder to lose as much as possible the first year. It shouldn't be so hard to lose weight even now..with so much less intestine removed!! I sure don't feel like I have a small stomach anymore, though. I hope more people log in and we can get a regular support thing going on here. Thanks for listening !!
ballou78
on 5/7/07 4:52 am - Upper Marlboro, MD
Topic: RE: regular posters?
Hello everyone. I haven't been on the boards for awhile either. I used to stay on hours at a time in the beginning. It was good reading your posts and seeing that I am not alone in my struggle. I had my surgery on October 23, 2003, starting at about 270. I got down to 185'ish, which was good for me. I was wearing size 12 and 14's comfortably and really had no desire to be a 7 or 9 ever again. I did well for years with few fluctuations. However, the last few months have felt like I have not had surgery at all. Talk about grazing. While if I eat a meal, I fill up fast. I have taken grazing to a new level. I was eating Hershey's symphony candies (chocolate, toffee and almonds) which is the only sweets I really like and back to my old demon of salty foods. I was taking a bag of UTZ Kettle cooked chips to bed and sitting there eating almost the whole thing. I was also finding that I could go to McD's or Checkers and eat a whole burger (not really the fries though) and a diet soda. Long story short, I hit the 200 mark that I promised I would never see again and got up to almost 212. I nearly died and thought I was a total failure. Seeing all of your posts lets me know that I am not alone. There is some good news. This Saturday is my 47th birthday and a couple of weeks ago I made up my mind to get rid of the extra pounds and get back down to 185. I have been eating well the last couple of weeks and want the scale to say anything but 200 on May 12. It can even say 199.5!!! and I will be happy. However, it is scary to find out that the weight does not just drop off like it did in the beginning and I am actually have to work at this. I am craving chips and bread like crazy. Glad I could come here to vent with people who actually understand my plight. The regular board is full of newbies that have little in common with me. Take care, stay the course and someone answer soon!!
kristen M.
on 3/4/07 10:20 am - Long Sault, Canada
Hi, Donna. I'm sorry that I don't have any tips, but I'm in the same boat. Last summer, my husband and I moved in with his parents, and the savings is starting to run out. I still drink protein shakes, but DH's mom is ALL ABOUT serving lots of food at every meal. I try to eat less than I do, and she tries to not take it personally if I don't eat a lot, but it's difficult for both of us. Add to that the fact that she's not so strict about things that are 'sugar free'. As in, she thinks all fruit is edible in any quantity because it's sugar free and has no calories. She also insists on making me try (or trying to make me try) desserts that she makes. When I ask if they're sugar free, she lies and says they are, just to get me to try them. I don't dump instantly on sugar anymore, if at all, so there have been times when I ate a bowl of pudding or a couple of cookies and not realized until later that I'd been lied to. Trust me, you don't want to root through your mother-n-law's garbage can for the pudding box to see if she's lying to you. It doesn't turn out well, either way! I need to get a t-shirt that says STFU AND GIMME COTTAGE CHEESE. My husband's mother won't let me bring my own food to the dinner table. I thought family dinners were supposed to be a positive experience, but being a WLS patient is causing them to be otherwise. I think it would be easier for me to resist the bad habits and all the temptations if I had more control over the situation, but that won't happen until we find our own place.
dpnna
on 2/27/07 1:35 am - w. orange, nj
Topic: hungry and reverting to bad habits
anyone hungry all the time and eating way more than we should and reverting to bad eating habits like before surgery?? its been 3 years for me and i lost 187lbs had my tummy tuck with a hernia repair but boy am i hungry all the time now!! any tips for me??
Amy Y.
on 11/22/06 4:32 am - Augusta, GA
Topic: RE: Need some help....
Pegi, I'm doing horribly. My surgery was 10/22/03. I managed to lose 145 lbs before stabilizing. Nothing I did, not more exercise nor a further reduction in calories, would let me lose more than that. No matter, though. I was happy and far, FAR healthier than the 402+lbs I was before surgery! Fast forward to 3 years and 1 month (today, as a matter of fact!) later and I'm back to over 300 lbs, essentially having regained nearly 50 lbs. I'm disgusted with myself. I love food entirely too much. I'm so disappointed in myself and depressed over letting both myself and my surgeon down. I seem to have ZERO self-control and I have no idea what it feels like to be "full"/satisfied - I don't think I ever learned, to be honest . I've had my pouch size checked (in April this year) just to make sure and it's not all that larger than it was right after surgery. So why can I eat as much as I do? I don't know. And why do I make the crappy choices I do? Another good question! And the only answer I can think of is that I have no self control whatsoever. As for the hairloss, I, too, tried Biotin with little, if any, result. You might try Redken's CAT protein restructuring treatment. I LOVE the stuff! It helps improve the strength of your hair by as much as 65% - and I figure if the rest of our bodies need protein, no doubt our hair does, too! Sure couldn't hurt. Also, around the time I began losing my hair (approx. 4-5 months post-op) my hairdresser recommended a good OTC (like from Walmart) prenatal vitamin - that way, she said, I'd get all the extra vitamins and minerals my post WLS body needed PLUS the stuff my hair needed to grow back. I can honestly say that it helped me A LOT! Best of luck to you in your continued post-op journey. Keep us informed! Oh, and here's wishing very Happy Holidays to you and yours! Amy Y.
PegiF
on 11/11/06 9:37 pm - Lexington, NC
Topic: Need some help....
Hi all... I have a question. A serious one. My hair is STILL coming out!! What can I do? I have tried the Biotin before with no change. Granted I have a lot of hair, but this is ridiculous. Every (and I mean EVERY) time I run my fingers through my hair, I get a handful. It is always on my arms, shoulders, clothes. The shower is awful and so is my pillow. The surgery/post op life has never been easy for me. My original doc made an absolute mess of me and I was reconstructed in June of 2004 to the best of the new docs capabilities. I have lost around 150 lbs. I weigh 134 this morning. The last bloodwork showed my B-12 was the only deficiency I had and it was in the floor. I have always dumped, but on any red meat and all breads and a few sugary foods. I still do 3 protein shakes a day and take all my supplements like a good girl. I just am at a loss with the hair. Can anyone help? I surely would appreciate it. I hope all is well with everyone. How is everyone doing here at past 3 years post op? How do you deal with life and all of our struggles? Pegi 283/134
Most Active
Recent Topics