Tonya S.’s Posts

Tonya S.
on 6/12/10 12:18 pm
Topic: RE: OMG!!! It feels so good!!
Good for you! You must have really lost alot! I can only hope that in 3 months, someone will say that about me!
Keep up the good work!

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Tonya S.
on 6/12/10 12:03 pm
Topic: RE: It's been six days
I know all of us newbies are struggeling with this post op time. I can say that I am feeling better everyday. I actually went to the mall this afternoon, did not walk alot, but was happy to be out! We went to a few thrift shops, and I was suprised at how strong I am feeling. I've had many surgeries, and it does take a while to get back to yourself.

I did not have a drain, but my belly is a bit hard around the incisions, so hopefully all will be well there. No redness, and I keep cleaning it with hibiclens daily.

I start my protien drinks tomorrow. One other thing   :O   I weighed myself in the hall way at the hospital one day post op and I had gained 13lbs! (since day of surgery weight:) It's clearly all fluid, but I can't imagine what my 2 week post op loss will actually be???
Sharon- I tried to send a friend request, but it would not go though- something about your settings.

Hang in there!

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Tonya S.
on 6/11/10 11:30 pm
Topic: RE: Starting Protein
I'm 6 days post op- and I have to say that my 14 day diet was not to bad.  But every dr is different. I could have other fat free foods, like all veggie salad with FF dressing, ff cotage cheese, ff veg soup. So it was not to bad, just boering as anything. I lost 14 lbs on it.

Good luck!

Tonya S.
on 6/11/10 11:20 pm
Topic: RE: It's been six days
I had surgery the same day. I have terrible gas, I woke up yesterday and could hardly move with gas! I looked 9 mo preg. I also have diarrhea- like large volumes of it. I called the dr. yesterday, he said I could take chewable gas pills, I do think they help minimally. I have near constant nausea, but I just realized my dose of phenergan is very low. I know (as a RN) that people my size usually take 12.5-25 mg. THe ordered me 6.25! Now that I took more of it, it has helped me.
Drop me a friend request- since we have the same OR day.
I'm discouraged too, maybe some day in the future I'll be glad I did this- but today is not that day!

Walk and take the chewable gasX, I'm still on Clears till tomorrow- maybe that will help??
Tonya S.
on 6/5/10 10:03 pm
Topic: RE: working long hours, so when am I supposed to Exercise?
I work 3 12 hour shifts, so while at work, I try to exercise too. I walk the steps that are off my department (for no reason)- just up and back., a couple times a day. I also go to the gym that is in the hospital on my lunch break- only for 15 min, the eat the rest of the time. While I know this may not work post op.

At a previous job I walked the building on my breaks and lunch. Just little chances at exercise add up.

Tonya S.
on 6/2/10 5:37 am
Topic: RE: scared, scared, scared
God love you!

I put a post up yesterday (6 days pre-op and need enouragement to show up) Something like that. I'm rowing in the same boat with you- I just HATE surgery. (one major reason). Look up my post- and you will know you are not alone!

My surgery is monday- yes, I'm so scared, but over the last few days, its getting better. I saw a rainbow the other day! (when I'm about to crack- it always showes up in the same place) that is not random- that is GOD telling me it is ok..

Also get on you tube and look up this song- it will really help you. Phil Wickham "safe".

Please send me a friend request- I'll jump in before you- we will make it together!

Tonya S.
on 6/2/10 5:23 am
Topic: RE: Pre-Op Help Needed
My surgery is monday! I'd like to say, just go on the liquid diet now, not for 2 days before the appt.
My diet is 80 grams of protein shakes, and all veggie salad, with FF dressing and ff cottage cheese, ff vegtable soup. I lost 6 lbs in the first 4 days. I have not weighted since, but I can tell in my clothes it is really coming off. I had to add a banana to my shakes, because I was getting cramps. Don't forget a vitamin!

Good luck and congrats on the weight loss!

Tonya S.
on 6/1/10 11:34 am
Topic: RE: 6 days pre-op= I need courage to show up!
Thanks for all the well wishes! It is great to have support!  The surgeon is very good, and it's at the hospital where I work. I know alot of people who work at the hospital, the nursing supervisor is my friend and said she will check on me making *sure* everything will be great.

One positive thing- is yes, my hubby is the most awesome man. He is so good to me and will be very helpful to me. I just worry about not being able to come back to work.

I work in dialysis, and I've done dialysis on RNY patients who had kidney failure from the surgery- from my surgeon! But that was years ago- when he was new at it. I've not seen anyone go to the ICU in years. I know 2 people who work in the OR and said they would both have him do this surgery if they needed it.

I think the non medical person is concerned about statistics- these people have a face and a name to me and I still remember them. However my friend had the same surgery/same MD and she has been fine.

The support group really helped me, it was a room full of successful post op's. All I've ever seen was the one's who did not come out of it well.  So- all this said, some of my fear is irrational- based on my BFF's death, some is real- from experience.

I just can't wait for monday afternoon! It will be over then!
Thanks for the prayers!!!

Tonya S.
on 6/1/10 8:06 am
Topic: RE: 6 days pre-op= I need courage to show up!
My surgery is June 7th. People keep asking me if I am excited, well- HECK NO. I'll be excited to have it over with. The surgery it's self- no way, no how would I want to endure that, with all the risk ect.

I feel like adding, my BFF had surgery on June 8th- a kidney transplant. The hospital made many fatal mistakes, and she was killed that day. Since then I have a distrust of the profession I belong to (I'm a nurse). Every surgery I've had since then has just launched me into orbit- with anxiety. I just cry and cry, the last one I had they gave me so much sedation, I could not get woke up for a good while.

All that said, this surgery is the most risky I've ever chosen to have and it's only 1 day away from the 15th anniversary of my friends surgery death. Quite possibly, I should have changed the date, but I'm not doing that now. Maybe I'll make it through and stop having this fear in the future. I know I don't expect to die like she did,  it's an irrational fear, but real to me none the less.

My dr. know's about it and he said he would have anesthesia see me first thing to get me knocked out. Let's hope so, tears will be falling for sure.

I will be excited to be healthy and thin, I just hope I'm not one that has complications. I only have 4 weeks of sick time, and an unemployed husband.

Please pray for me on monday that all will be better than ok, and I'll be able to go back to work soon..

Tonya- in Cincinnati

Tonya S.
on 5/24/10 8:38 am
Topic: RE: Pre- op and STARVING- how to cope?
Does anyone have any suggestions for coping with the hunger while on the 2 week pre-op diet? I'm on day one!!! YIKES! I'm so hungry that I'm nauseated, any advise would be great!