your WLS years from now

berrixblonde
on 4/9/11 11:11 am - NY
 is it just me, or does anyone else think about what will happen to their new digestive systems & bodies 40, 50 years down the line? I havent found anything stating we live shorter lives, but does anyone have any insight/research? just wondering!
Elizabeth N.
on 4/9/11 11:15 am - Burlington County, NJ
I intend to continue as I am now, eating a high protein diet, taking my supplements and getting regular lab work done. We shall see what "old age" brings. I know I wouldn't have had an old age otherwise, so I don't spend any time worrying about it. I figure I'll be contributing to data for the next generation :-).
Ma2jenna
on 4/9/11 11:21 am - Fleetwood, PA
I no longer worry about a heart attack killing me at any moment or having a stroke from high blood pressure.  even if they would tell me WLS may take some years off at least the years I have left are worth living - the way I was before I was worthless.  
Sandra                                       MY WL themed Blog:  MA2JENNA

KathyA999
on 4/9/11 11:32 am
I will be 100-110 then, and don't plan to stop dancing long enough to worry about my stomach, LOL!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Kathleen W.
on 4/9/11 11:40 am - Lancaster, PA
We don't know what will happen in 40-50 years with our new bodies.  But I'd rather chance that then dealing with certain death because of diabetes, stroke, or heart attacks.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

YeahItsCase
on 4/9/11 11:59 am
great question and i'll be interested to see the answers. This is something I have been curious about, especially since I am 23 and will be getting the surgery this year..i have a long life ahead of me and really an concerned about the long term! The many posts about osteoporosis have me a bit freaked out at the moment, i'll admit.
pinkypromise93
on 4/9/11 1:50 pm
That is a great question  I think we all wish we could see in the future and know, but there are chances with everything. I agree with the prior responses as well; stay like I am and risk stroke, heart attack, etc. Or take my chances and enjoy a healthy life for however long that will last. I like to read everyone's responses; everyone adds so many ideas! I love OH!

Beautifully_Broken
on 4/9/11 2:45 pm - Manistee, MI
My surgeon told me that an average RNY patient can expect to live 15 years loner then they would have without surgery. I have no idea about other surgery types but I would think it would be the same.
            Michol  Dragonfly                          
Don't recall seeing any studies posted on that ... with the sleeve since they only reduce the size of the stomach, therefore,  I don't think there would be much happenings down the road.  However, even though we didn't have our intestines re-routed I think you can have some organs twisted up when you lose a lot of weight (regardless of surgery type). 

I try not to worry too much about the "tomorrow" factor.  While there are things that we can control to improve our health (exercising, eating healthier, annual physicals, etc), when our time comes, it is really out of our hands.  I had a friend at work, Debbie (she is the one that tagged me The Incredible Shrinking Woman), and although she was never morbidly obese, she had maybe 40 lbs to lose.  For 6 months she was eating healthier and getting in exercise and lost maybe 10-15 lbs in thet time.  While on vacation December 2009, she had a massive heart attack and died.  She was only 45 years old.  Moral of the story, life is way too short and we need to enjoy each day like it is our last.

Great question...... however, I don't think we will ever know the answer (and I am sure the medical community with have 100 different views!)

Nancy
"Learn from Yesterday.  Live for Today.  Hope for Tomorrow" - Albet Einstein

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/11 9:51 pm - GA
VSG on 06/08/09 with
I was 59 when I had my surgery, so that was very much on my mind and played a large part into the type of surgery I chose.  My mom had a couple of strokes in her later years (she was never overweight), and she had a lot of difficulty eating after that.  Had no appetite and had difficulty swallowing.  Clearly, much of how we will live with this long-term depends on luck.  I have a friend that had a stomach staple 20 or 30  years ago, and she is doing great.   She's in her 60's now.  Never gained her weight back, and has no physical problems related to her surgery that I know about. 
Most Active