DR. OZ says.......

freeme31
on 4/12/11 3:13 am
HOPE NO ONE ELSE HAS POSTED ABOUT THIS TOPIC - IF SO SORRY i AM LATE 

Hello All,

I was watching Dr. Oz the other day and he was talking about vitamins and when to take them.  He mentioned that taking CALCIUM CITRATE at the same time you take your MULTIVITAMIN is no good.  The CALCIUM CITRATE  does not allow the MULTIVITAMIN to be absorbed by the body.

His advice is to take your MULTIVITAMIN and CALCIUM CITRATE at different times in the day.

Have a great day all,
Sam

Sam

M M
on 4/12/11 3:20 am
 Yep.

That's the standard advice.

AVOID VITAMINS THAT MIX THEM.
M M
on 4/12/11 3:26 am
  Check with the ASMBS standards found here - 
ANGIE0502
on 4/12/11 3:21 am
That's not entirely complete info.  If you are taking a multi w/ iron (and most of us do) you should space your calcium to about an hour before or after (2 hours doesn't hurt either).  It's the iron that interferes with the absorbtion of calcium.  But, it's not to the point where you don't absorb any at all. 
Angie
"Assumption is the root of many problems"

Paul C.
on 4/12/11 4:07 am - Cumming, GA
As the previous poster stated it only applies if you take a multi with iron.  I believe the wait period is more on the order of 2 hours between clacium and iron and while it does not prevent 100% blockage of absorption, remembering some numbers I had seen it can be significant enough that it is worth waiting.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Baby Blues
on 4/12/11 7:35 am - Roy, UT
I take Walgreens Silver (their version of Centrum Silver) Multi with no iron. I don't absorb it anyway so it's pointless for me to take iron orally. So I take my multi twice a day (breakfast and bedtime)  with my calcium.

I get an iron shot once a month.
I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst...then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.     ---Marilyn Monroe
Most Active