A Little Victory

kahlana
on 4/24/11 5:41 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
So this is only related to weight loss in that i need to be unaddicted to coffee before I have surgery according to my pcp. She put me on a plan to step down since i was drinking a pot or 2 everyday.
Today as of right now I have only had 2 cups of coffee. I have been trying for a month to get it down somedays were better than others but today I don't even feel the need to have anymore coffee.
Now to quit smoking....

My Blog My Facebook

terilynn112
on 4/24/11 6:04 am - maryland, NY
My surgeon requires you to be blood tested negitive for nicotine for 6 months pre op. Coffee, we can give up much closer.

If you're down to 2 cups a day, and feel as though you can give it up. Attempt it. You can always have one if you need. I was a bigger coffee drinker pre op than now. You will often see me carrying it around, because it's warm and I'm cold

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

kahlana
on 4/24/11 6:08 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
i don't know what my surgeons requirements will be as far as nicotine but I have been on Welbutrin for a month now hoping it will help with the smoking since nothing else has so far.

Personally I would tackle the smoking first.  I used to be a smoker (2 packs a day) ..... yeah,apparently  I never got that "moderation" thing with food OR smoking!  However, I successfully quit 20 years ago.  The first 60 days was extremely hard, however, it got better over time.  I did it cold turkey, however, maybe the patch or something else can make it a bit easier???  Do you smoke menthol?  I know this may sound silly, however, remember those binaca blast things that had a minty taste?  When I craved a cigarette I used to spray it in my mouth .  it helped a little (plus my breath was just so fresh!)  :)

Smoking can be detrimental to healing after the surgery, so that is why I really think you need to concentrate on that first.  And I heard others on the board state that their surgeon's required them to quit smoking prior to surgery (not sure what the required timelines are).  You may want to check with your Surgeon about their particular requirements. 

As far as the coffee is concerned are you drinking caffeine or de-caf?  If you switch to decaf would that be okay?  I know caffeine is frowned upon since it is a diuretic and also that it supposedly increases your appetite.  

Nancy
"Learn from Yesterday.  Live for Today.  Hope for Tomorrow" - Albet Einstein

kahlana
on 4/24/11 7:15 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Oh I have tried literally everything else out there to quit smoking and this is my last attempt. If it doesn' t work then I will need to find a cave somewhere away from people for at least 60 days so i can quit and not kill anyone.
As far as my coffee goes it has always been full on caffeinated dark roast. :D Loooove my coffee but I am trying very hard to be good and get rid of it. I figure if I just can't live without the taste I'll start taste testing different ones to see if i can find one i like. I've never found it to increase my appetite though. if anything i eat less when I drink coffee all day possibly because i am filling up on the coffee. I am also one of those people that I can fall asleep and stay asleep after having a cup of coffee before bed :D

My Blog My Facebook

Jolly Rancher
on 4/24/11 7:34 am
I will not have a popular answer.......I quit smoking at midnight before surgery......yeah, you read that right. I started back about 2 weeks post op. I don't know why. I had complications....maybe from smoking...who knows....anywho, I couldn't eat or drink and my nerves were shot. To my mind, the only thing that would help was smoking. Easy for a smoker to justify. So, I picked them right back up and to this day am still smoking. I've quit a couple times over the years, for a year or more at a time. I've always gone right back to them....it's too easy. I really hope you can overcome this. To me, it is WAY worse than overeating!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
kahlana
on 4/24/11 8:01 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
i have done the same thing.. the night before my hysterctomy i smoked half a pack lol... i was scared and worried and smoking kept me from killing anyone who said anything to me the wrong way.. I am hoping though to beat it this time even if i have to do it with the help of a pill. i know that my health is going to be better and i'm saving a TON of money by quitting as well. Not that that makes much of a difference when i need a cig though lol.

My Blog My Facebook

beemerbeeper
on 4/24/11 7:52 am, edited 4/24/11 7:52 am - AL
I quit smoking and gave up a HUGE diet coke (with caffeine) habit prior to my surgery.  I don't regret either.

I have had caffeine via diet coke since surgery, but more than a couple of sips give me horrible leg/foot cramps at night. So I pretty much drink flavored water.  A LOT of flavored water.

I haven't had a cig since June 3, 2009.  Go me !  I have only had one cold since June 3, 2009 as well.  Now THAT is amazing.  I used to be in the doctor's office sick as a dog at least four times a year.  Next to getting my DS, stopping smoking as been the best thing I have ever done for my health.  And I smoked for over 30 years.

Now my chocolate addiction is another issue entirely.

~Becky

kahlana
on 4/24/11 7:58 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Becky have you not seen the studies out there they say that chocolate is good for you??? Addiction?? what addiction? i see only a necessary nutrient to survive... jes' sayin'

My Blog My Facebook

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 8:28 am
My husband quit coffee cold turkey and it messed up his blood pressure. When you quit do it gradually otherwise headaches will be likely...
Most Active