Struggling to get my mojo back.

kathylovesred
on 6/24/11 1:19 am - Helena, MT
I am two years out - experienced great success.  Lost about 150 pounds.  Last summer, I hit my low weight of 148, and I was loving it.  I felt little and sexy.  I wore a size four pants, small tops.  I worked out daily.  All was good.

In the fall, I had varicose vein surgery, and developed a deep vein thrombosis.  Kinda scary, but one side effect was that I was not allowed to work out.  And I had been walking an hour every morning.  That all stopped.  Plus we had a miserable winter, which just now (finally!) is turning into 75 degree days. 

I know what I'm doing wrong.  About the only rule I follow is not drinking with my meals.  I snack - on all kinds of things and at all kinds of times I shouldn't.  I rarely dump, unless I really go where I shouldn't, then I'm so far beyond miserable, you wouldn't believe.  But this morning, I got on the scale, and I weigh 173 pounds.  

That means that I've gained 25 pounds in a year.  If I can do that the second year out from surgery, that tells me I can gain it all back within five.  I'm scared out of my mind.  I know that I have got to collect myself, set my mind against the temptations, and just do it.  Rules, rules, rules!  I have got to mentally start saying:  I eat protein first, and make sure I get enough daily.  I don't drink my calories,   I don't drink half an hour before and an hour after meals.  I exercise daily.  I weigh myself weekly.  And then I've got to do those things.

I need support.  I need accountability.  Don't send me off to the Graduates board.  There are so many fewer folks on that board.  I know there are graduates out there *****ad the main forum.  I used to be on OH every single day, but  that's fallen off too.  We don't have an in-person face to face support group here, so I feel a bit out on a limb by myself.  It sure is easy to go off and enjoy your new thin life, but I'm sort of watching it slip away - due only to my own lack of diligence.  Help!

Kathy!
(Pre-op: 5'2", 292/277/148-Highest/at WLS/Current)
kathylovesredsmallcard.jpg picture by lynnca1972
Let God's presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom 
to sing, dance, praise, and love.  It is there for each and every one of us.

mkbeany
on 6/24/11 1:40 am
Hi Kathy. I was wondering where you were.
Glad to see you back.
And happy to see you grabbing control before things get worse.

I don't have the magic bullet. I wish I did. I white knuckle it most days myself.

But you know what to do, girl!

If you stopped tracking- get started. I track every bite and every sip in Sparkpeople...every day.
No exceptions. No excuses.

Carbs below 100. Protein above 100.

The carbs were harshing my mellow...big time!
We had to come to an understanding, me and them.
No place for the white foods in my life. They are just no good for me.

The 5 day pouch test helped shock me back to reality a couple of weeks ago.
10 pounds have come off. The cravings are gone...for now.

And I come here, every day 365. It helps.

Sending positive thoughts your way. You can do this!
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
kathylovesred
on 6/24/11 2:16 am - Helena, MT
Thanks so much - I didn't log my intake when I was doing well - didn't need to.  It's like I had it all together.  I ate appropriately and burned calories appropriately.  I was in balance.  When I fell apart last fall, I didn't just move the bubble a little to the left or the right, I went right back to all-out bad behavior.  Somehow, working out makes me behave better on food intake.  I think I'd better start both working out AND logging my intake. 

And thanks for the encouragement.  I want to report ten pounds lost, too.  And then another ten.  Soon, I hope.

Kathy!

Laura A.
on 6/24/11 2:01 am - Manteca, CA
Hi Kathy...you've been missed... 

I'm right there with you though.  I feel like I struggle every day to stay on track with the eating and the exercise.  The first few years seemed easier...maybe because it's new and exciting...but now, gosh I have a hard time staying on track seems like.

Like you, I never missed a day of some kind of exercise...and now I have so many excuses why I can't walk today....too hot, too cold, got up late, need to go to bed early, gotta run errands at lunchtime, going out to lunch with friends.....and on and on and on....

I'm sure there are other 'oldsters' out there who'll join in....let's renew our support of each other and make a change for the better....

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

kathylovesred
on 6/24/11 2:19 am - Helena, MT
Thanks Laura!  I've often said that it takes a change of diet to lose weight, but exercise is what keeps it off.  And I've proven it to myself with my own progress.  Now I need to do both - again!  *sigh*

But you're right.  Some renewed support would be great.  I'm going to tie on my tennies right now and get fifteen minutes of walking.  Here I go.  You too?

Kathy!

Laura A.
on 6/24/11 3:37 am - Manteca, CA
Tennies on...I'm on my way....

I attended the WLSFA Meet n Greet in Las Vegas in mid-May...VERY fun, by the way...lots of wonderful, inspiration speakers.  One speaker told us that it is very possible to change our past:

Tomorrow, today will be yesterday and the change you make today will then be in the past.

I have held on to this phrase for many reasons....not just weight loss/maintenance related...just for living life itself!!

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

hollykim
on 6/24/11 5:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
You can do it. I agree to start logging everything you are eating bad and good. Once you see those totals it might help to shake you up a bit  about what you want and what you don't want. The 5 day pouch test is great for helping to detox from things that make you crave and get you back on track, WWW.5daypouchtest.com.

I also am so carb sensitive that even beans will keep me from losing. You might check out the WETOS thread or another like it ...they are all over the board,might be one on the RNY forum for accountability and support.
Visiting here every day an't be underated either. I also visit 365.
Good luck,
Holly
Just do it,start today,if you fall off the wagon one day,just get back on. The beauty of our surgery allows for that.

Kim S.
on 6/24/11 3:14 am - Helena, AL
OMG!  Kathy, I've missed you!  We had surgery the same month.

Sounds like your health issue is behind you and you can exercise again.  Here's your motivation:  Go to your closet, try to put on your favorite size 4 pants--in front of a mirror.  This reality check will show you where you've been--and you got there because YOU WERE FOCUSED AND DETERMINED.  YOU DID IT.  YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN.

Try to tap into that feeling you had in the beginning.  Post the rules on your wall at home.  DO NOT BUY CRAP FOOD.  Make a menu and have things readily available to eat like cheese, boiled eggs, grilled chicken, etc.  I literally "snack" on a grilled chicken breast every single day.

Log your food everyday-honestly.  Take your vitamins and drink tha****er.  Most importantly, get your hiney moving again.  The most important thing that will keep our weight off is exercise.  You've got to build muscle so your metabolism will work, otherwise (as you have learned) our bodies go right back to where they were....and quickly.

We are never cured of obesity--it is in our genes.  We will always be obese, just in remission.

Post daily.  I've never left these boards as they are my support.  I post a daily thread "whatcha eatin/ R U exercising" on the Alabama board.  Come be accountable with me (you do not have to be in Alabama!!)

I'm sending you a friend request.  I'll help you.  You must put yourself first--you deserve that.

I wish you much success--Kim

Cindy T.
on 6/24/11 3:31 am - Newaygo, MI
 We are never cured of obesity--it is in our genes.  We will always be obese, just in remission.

So true. 
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

mrsfrogdr
on 6/26/11 1:55 am
I am so happy to see your smilling face.  I got busy with my new job last Oct, stopped logging  food and working out...same results as you and I am just barely a year out...it is scary how fast the old habbits take over.

I have a few weeks off for summer and I am going to try to get myself back in the groove...but I am worried about going back to work at the end of july...I think I am going to need to find some support buddies who are interested in a  text messaging support group.

I think you are right about the role of exersize...it may not really make me lose if I do not make big eatting changes...but it keeps me more motivated to stick to the meal plan.

Diligence...that might be a word worth of tattooing on my hand so I have to look at it every time I take a bite....and I am not a tat kind of girl...hmm!!! 
Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

Most Active