Ouch Sudden Post Op Pain! Called Surgeon & I Pulled Abdominal Muscle?! Anyone...

Rachael Richardson
on 7/6/11 8:00 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
I know this may sounds strange.  I am two and half weeks post op and was healing pretty well. Then a few days ago I started to have deep and very sharp pain on the left side of my stomach near the incision.   It hurts to sit down, stand up and bend over.  The pain even occurs while sitting still and it hurts so bad  I have to breath through the pain.

The pain has been so bad I started to take the Vicodin again at night.

I decided to call surgeon's office today and was told  it sounds like I have a strained abdominal muscle. 
Apparently when you have abdominal surgery  your abdominal muscles are so weak it is very easy to strain the muscle or even "pull it" which causes pain. 

I was told I could have pulled the muscle just by getting out of a chair and there is nothing I did wrong. 

Anyone experience this during post op?

Donna

debbie13
on 7/6/11 9:42 am - Cossayuna, NY
 Almost everyone I know has had this. Our doctor said it is perfectly normal, that it is actually the muscles settling back to where they belong. Remember - when they do laproscopic surgery, the blow you up like a balloon and that stretches muscles. 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

acbbrown
on 7/6/11 12:21 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I had horrible pain right above my large incision - i had to go to urgent care 2 weeks post op bc it was excrutiating. I was told I could have pulled a stitch that was used deep inside. I'm almost 4 weeks out, and i still have a little pain but its much better now.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

sunnshine1012
on 9/3/11 12:54 am - WV
I am experiencing this same thing! For me It's soo much worse in the mornings. Was it the same for you? And how long was it so painful? I can't stand it!
Cuzican258
on 7/7/12 1:29 am - NJ
On September 3, 2011 at 7:54 AM Pacific Time, sunnshine1012 wrote:
I am experiencing this same thing! For me It's soo much worse in the mornings. Was it the same for you? And how long was it so painful? I can't stand it!
 I am currently experiencing the same as well...Two weeks post-op was doing great...I have been a nervous wreck with two 4 yr olds running around by me and was very jumpy so think I may have pulled a muscle my surgeon as well says its common to happen...The pain is just so excruciating, it took me two hours to get into a car for my post op appt...He says nothing he can do for me to just rest and I should start feeling better in few days.
Misspatstarr73
on 5/26/13 3:45 am - CA
I have the same issue with pain especially in the morning. I can't wait till this passes.
Most Active