Embarrassing subject but....

radujoki
on 7/15/11 4:49 am
I am wondering what am I doing wrong here. I am batteling the dreaded constipation all the time. This is a problem I have never had in my life and am now, all the time. I take my dulcolax, fibercon and eat lots of grains and veggies and still am having this issue. I am getting to the point where I am having to use the dreaded pink little pill often and I don't want to have to get dependant on that. So is there something that I am not doing or should be doing here? Anybody???

Apologies if this subject grosses some of you out but where else could I get some answers without going to the doc.

Thank you for letting me embarrass myself and ask this.
Just Me         
Cindy T.
on 7/15/11 4:57 am, edited 7/15/11 4:57 am - Newaygo, MI
 How's your water intake?  I know that if I don't drink 80 -90 ounces a day, I get plugged up too.  And I take Benefiber and a stool softner (not a laxative) daily, too!!  

Up your water...that should help. 

P.S. Don't be embarrassed...that's what this board is all about. Sharing info and supporting each other!! 
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

radujoki
on 7/15/11 5:12 am
Oh gosh thank you so much. I know I don't get that much water in and that could be what the problem is. I will definately up that immediately!

Thank you again.
Just Me         
Cindy T.
on 7/15/11 6:04 am - Newaygo, MI
 Well, at a minimum you should be getting 64 oz daily....my registered dietician encourages more than that, not just for ease of movement (lol) but also because it helps in so many ways.  Just remember not to drink any for at least 30 min (or longer) after you eat! 

It's a challege to get it all in, but now that I'm in that (good) habit, it's not so tough.  I do try to get the majority of it down before 7 pm, otherwise I'm up peeing all night!! 

Good luck!
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

beemerbeeper
on 7/15/11 5:12 am, edited 7/15/11 5:13 am - AL
Constipation.  Awful.

I take Magnesium Oxide with every Calcium dose.  That works great for me and is all I need but I eat a lot of fat because I malabsorb it.

I think Colace is safe to use daily.

Here is VitaLady's UNconstipation plan:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4276854/Vita-Ladys-constipatio n-program/

And I know of one person who had to switch from Calcium Citrate to Calcium Hydroxyapetite:

www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp

Constipation is nothing to fool around with as it can quickley lead to fissures.

Edited to add:  I drink well over a gallon of water a day also.

Good luck!

~Becky

Mia H.
on 7/15/11 5:17 am - OH
 I don't know if you are allowed to take it, but you can check with your doctor.  Mirolax - my son suffers from chronic constipation and this really works.  It's not a laxative, but a stool softner.

jenysez1
on 7/15/11 6:59 am - LA
My son takes the miralax too.  CHeck and see if it is ok for you, it works rather well.  I would assume after having your guts rearranged that being plugged up must hurt something awful.  I hope I do ok on that issue.  Good Luck

Jenny

radujoki
on 7/15/11 8:03 am
Thank you all for your responses I very much appreciate it and they have been very helpful!

Have a great day!
Just Me         
spedcon
on 7/15/11 10:28 am
I use Mirolax every day...generic store brand. I mix 1 capful with a packet of sf koolaid and a bottle of water. Mirolax+Koolaid="poo-laide" LOL!  I also take a probiotic every day along with 2 stool softners. So far, it seems to work well for me. Good luck!      Connie
Proudtobaloser
on 7/16/11 1:35 am - Fayetteville, NC
LMAO @ poo-laide. you should market that connie.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Most Active