stomach cancer

worrier
on 9/18/11 4:15 am
Does anyone know anybody who's gotten stomach cancer since having gastric bypass surgery?
worrier
on 9/18/11 4:19 am
Thanks I'm really trying not to worry but it's very hard not to when every time you eat the pain is pretty bad. Thanks again for your understanding
AnneGG
on 9/18/11 4:42 am
Ah, love, I hear how scared you are. I hope you didn't feel like I was making light of that. Of course you are scared, not knowing what is going on.

See if you can't take gentle care of yourself between now and having the tests done. Worrying is only going to agitate you, nothing else. You will find out when you find out.

Hugs to you! Keep breathing.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

worrier
on 9/18/11 5:49 am
Thank you for taking the time to help me try to get thru this.
martitalinda
on 9/18/11 4:54 am, edited 9/18/11 4:54 am
 I do not know of anyone who has gotten stomach cancer since having gastric bypass surgery however my husband's best friend and close friend of our family was diagnosed with stomach cancer over a year ago (he had no WLS whatsoever) .. he is undergoing treatment at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.  So far he has been responding well to treatment and has a network of loving and supportive family and friends.

The thought of cancer of any type is so scary to me ... I freak out each time I have to have a scan or another follow-up mammo because of my history... the good thing is that nowadays with advances in medicine and treatment options early detection helps a lot...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

worrier
on 9/18/11 5:51 am
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Please everyone keep me in your prayers.
cedarstar
on 9/18/11 6:10 am - Manitoba, Canada
 Before my RNY I researched and I researched. I read a lot of negative and positive but I cannot recall ever reading anything about stomach cancer after bypass. My thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless! 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

Emily F.
on 9/18/11 6:13 am
I have never read anything that found a correlation between stomach cancer and wls. ?

Deep breaths.
glzgowlass
on 9/18/11 6:50 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I have never heard of any connection between stomach cancer and bypass.  Perhaps it is an ulcer.  these are far more common.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Elizabeth N.
on 9/18/11 7:08 am - Burlington County, NJ
I've read a lot of literature about WLS and have never seen any correlation between RNY (or any other WLS) and stomach cancer.

I suppose if someone developed GERD and it got bad enough to lead to Barrett's esophagus, there would then be THAT risk of esophageal cancer.  Do you have GERD? If not, then I doubt that's a worry. 

I have not read about the pain you're having (will go look up what you've written here about it), but there are LOTS of things that cause belly misery. I wish for a speedy diagnosis and resolution for you.  

Most Active