band related?

traceyls57
on 10/28/11 1:23 pm
Ok, so I have had my band for over 2 years, and this has happened 3 times. Not sure if it is band related or not. I feel like I am being strangled, and my face turns red. I feel like my head is going to explode and eventualy it gets better. Feels almost like I am having a allergic reaction. So, is this band related? I had about 5 crackers around 5 and then drank some water at 7 30. I have been having alot of gas and bloating,and not able to eat much, but now I am not eating anything cause I don't want this to happen again. Any help would be much appreciated.

Gp/weight.png[/img]
://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wp3oOyK/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

MARIA F.
on 10/28/11 4:07 pm - Athens, GA

I have had my band almost 2 years. I would think that the first problem is prob. band related, but the gas and bloating I think would not be related. Just my opinion though. You might want to visit the failed band group and see how many of them have had the same problem.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

phred
on 10/29/11 12:15 am - CO

Sounds like you may have partial blockage of the carotid arteries.  Have your medical team do an ultrasound, and get them reamed out.  If a clot breaks loose, it can cause a stroke!

Good luck,

Fred

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

traceyls57
on 10/29/11 12:39 am
That sounds really scary, is this something that has happened to you? I have blood work done every 3 months and I am on blood pressure and cholesterol meds. The blood work checks out. Is this something you have had happen and you know this is what is happening. It has been a year since the first time this happened.

Gp/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

phred
on 10/29/11 3:48 am - CO

No, this did not happen to me, but it did happen to a friend who was in his late 70's.

I didn't mean to scare you, just think you should follow up with your medical team.  The probability of this being the cause of your symptoms is very low, but it doesn't hurt to discuss it with your PCP.

Good luck, and hugs,

Fred

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

Stephanie M.
on 10/29/11 12:25 am
Call your PCP ASAP!  This could be anything including cardiac or vascular issues.  Don't wait.   Let us know what you find out.  This doesn't sound like anything I have ever heard of that is band related.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

traceyls57
on 10/29/11 12:41 am
Ok, I am really scared now. The first time this happened was almost a year ago. I have regular blood work and check ups done everything seems fine. I will call my doctor on Monday.

Gp/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Stephanie M.
on 10/29/11 12:47 am
Don't be scared...just see your doctor to make sure this isn't a serious issue.  My doctor said (when I was having left side pain in my chest, radiating up to my jaw) that anything that lasts 5 min or less generally isn't anything serious.  My pain was occuring at night, waking me from sleep, but when I got up and walked to the bathroom, it would go away.  My bariatric surgeon thinks it is the tubing touching the vagus nerve and setting off this reaction.  It only lasts a minute or two, and I have had a full cardiac workup, esophagram, and abdominal ultrasound (had gallstones) recently so the docs aren't concerned about this occasional discomfort.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

traceyls57
on 10/29/11 8:05 am
I have all kinds of work done blood, cardio, I would have thought they would have caught something like that. I will call my doctor on Monday and see what he thinks, thanks for the information.

Gp/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Nic M
on 10/29/11 3:45 am
Hi Tracey,

Oh boy, this is a tough one! I hope you can get an answer from your doctor, for sure.

As to the gas and bloating... oh my gawd... when I was banded, it was out of this world. I mean, my stomach would be hard as a rock and painful, so you're not alone with that.

As for the facial flushing and pain, it kind of sounds like a vasovagal response to me.  Here's some info:

Among people with vasovagal episodes, the episodes are typically recurrent, usually happening when the person is exposed to a specific trigger. Prior to losing consciousness, the individual frequently experiences a prodrome of symptoms such as lightheadedness, nausea, the feeling of being extremely hot (accompanied by sweating), ringing in the ears (tinnitus), uncomfortable feeling in the heart, fuzzy thoughts, a slight inability to speak/form words (sometimes combined with mild stuttering), weakness and visual disturbances such as lights seeming too bright, fuzzy or tunnel vision, and sometimes a feeling of nervousness can occur as well. These last for at least a few seconds before consciousness is lost (if it is lost), which typically happens when the person is sitting up or standing. When sufferers pass out, they fall down (unless this is impeded); and when in this position, effective blood flow to the brain is immediately restored, allowing the person to wake up. Short of fainting a person may experience an almost undescribable weak and tired feeling resulting from a lack of oxygen to the brain due to a sudden drop in blood pressure. Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary.[3] describes this as the "feeling of impending death" caused by expansion of the aorta, drawing blood from the head and upper body.

I had damage to my diaphragm from banding. It caused my Vagus nerves to go all wonky. I get physical responses like you would from bad anxiety... but I don't feel anxious, logically. My body reacts as if I am, however. And I really think it's from those nerves being irritated. It can also cause nonstop hiccuping, sneezing, fainting, etc. I don't think we've realized just how sensitive the Vagus nerve system can be in regard to lapbanding, personally.

It might not be caused by your band at all, though, so it's best to get checked thoroughly. You don't want to miss something that might be really important to your good health.

I hope you get some answers and never experience this again.
Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active