Need help with post op diet.

serendipity2121
on 12/3/11 8:07 am - Memphis, TN
 I had my RNY on Monday, I've 5 days into my "new stomach" and have been having the absolute worst gas pain. I have a child and did not experience anything like this in my pregnancy ... it's a sharp stabbing pain that won't let up. It doesn't seem to dissapate, and i end up having to take a lortab and go to sleep. it's so painful!!! I take Gas X softgels multiple times a day to help, to no avail.

it only happens to this degree when i eat Unjury Protein powder. I don't understand because I drink it with unsweetened soy milk, and have always done well with it. I trusted that it would be great after surgery because it is supposedly designed for bariatric surgery. So I'm supposed to have 2-3 ounces of protein every hour, and couldn't take it anymore. so, yesterday i ate normal pureed food ... like refried beans with water added to make it soupy. and pureed Progresso Chicken tortilla soup. Both of those were ingested easily, and at least the gas I got did not sit there in stabbing pain. I'm not certain what to do at this point. I don't want protein shake anymore.... it hurt so badly. But, that's the rule I am supposed to be following right now. This is such a bummer. I don't want to screw something up at this point after my surgery.

I've only had 2 servings of protein shake today. I just don't want to eat if it is gonna be that bad.

elmersvillegirl
on 12/3/11 8:56 am
I had my surgery Wednesday and had really awful, painful gas pains around my diaphragm, seemed like chest pain.  I was told to get up and walk as soon as possible, so I did right away.  Too much pain the first time, but two hours later, I was able to walk and I walked every time I had pain meds, about 20 minutes after taking the pain meds.  That took care of the gas pains.  Now I just have this horrendous, stabbing pain in my left side that is making it very difficult to walk or do anything with two hands, since I am constantly holding my abdomen to alleviate that pain.

Paula F.
on 12/4/11 2:56 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Usually the pain you have on the left side is from the incision they used to pass the majority of the instruments through and therefore sustains the most trauma.  It took a little over a month before my discomfort in that area subsided.

Hope you're feeling better soon,
Paula
Dave Chambers
on 12/3/11 9:18 am - Mira Loma, CA
It's likely you still have surgical gas in your body. This typically stays with most post ops from a few days up to 2 weeks post op.  To me, this was the worst part of the surgery.  I had horrible discomfort in the hospital and needed 3 shots to help me get some sleep the 2nd night in the hospital. BUT, walking will help this issue immensely.  You should try mixing the protein with water, or even try a different protein.  If it eases your mind, call your surgeon on Monday, or if have a "hot line" to his staff on call, make the call about this issue.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Barb H.
on 12/3/11 10:00 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
 I'm so sorry you are having this challenge!  But I agree with the other posters that walking will certainly help if it is the surgical gas stuff.  And as Dave mentioned, you might also try a different protein powder and even use like half the recommended powder to the same amount of fluids to see if it helps.  Let us know what helps.  

Aloha,
Barb
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 10:21 am
PatXYZ
on 12/3/11 2:06 pm
Try making your protein shakes with water or unsweetened almond milk - there are a lot of carbs in soy milk. See if it helps.
sullysmom
on 12/3/11 10:48 pm
If you are using a blender to mix your protein try a ready to drink protein.  I found the air from blenderized protein was very painful.  I still find a yr later lattes w/extra air a little painful to drink sometimes.  After you heal try blenderized protein again and maybe you will be able to handle the extra air
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 5:25 am
Try Syntrax Nectar proteins and stop the soy milk for a while.  Just mix the protein with water.  Some people have a problem with soy immediately after surgery.  I still only mix mine with water.  My favorite flavor is chocolate truffle.  It has zero fat and zero carbs.  Good luck!  :)
elmersvillegirl
on 12/4/11 6:33 am
thanks, everyone, for all the tips.  the gas pains from the lap surgery went away within 24 hours, because i started walking right away.  this is more like a stabbing and "bulging" at the same time.  my walking is decreased because of it--i can only walk a short distance while holding my abdomen in that spot.  if i let go, i'm doubled over and it doesn't go away until i get at least a 90 degree bend at the waist or lay down.  i can sit up in a chair as long as my legs are up at least 90 degrees to my abdomen.

i like the options of protein you all are suggesting.  i don't think the pain is from my protein drink because i just started drinking it yesterday (kinda forgot about it when i came home from the hospital).  but i know that the bariatric advantage products i used before the surgery does have a lot of air in it.  i think i will try a ready-made drink.  they gave me some in the hospital that were not "airy" or "fluffy".

anyway, i called my surgeon and he suggested going to the ER, to which i said i'd rather not.  i'll just stay sitting or lying down till i can see him tomorrow.  i just wanna be sure it's not one of those more rare complications like an ulcer or a hernia.

Most Active