Surgery was April 2, 2012 and I am not doing so well

I_must_be_crazy
on 4/25/12 1:19 am
I had my surgery on April 2. 2012,  that was 23 days ago.  I have been having a really hard time getting in all the protein and the water.  I am also having trouble finding stuff I want to eat since I am still on the puree part of the diet.  What makes this journey even more hard for me was eight days after my surgery my Mom died very unexpectedly, she just went to sleep and did not wake up, she was only 54.  I am doing my best and no matter how I try to explain what I am going throught to my husband or family members they just do not understand.  I went to my WLS support group to see if I could find sme help there but just clammed up and got no where.  I have already lost over 30 pounds but I am sure that is becasue not much at all is going in...   I need help with this from people who understand.   Thank you for reading.
Jackie McGee
on 4/25/12 1:31 am - PA
I am so sorry about your mom. Sending you great big hugs and good thoughts.

You have to be in the grieving process right now, which is so understandable, and will definitely affect how you feel about everything, including eating. If you aren't seeing a therapist/counselor for someone to talk to, I would highly recommend that.

With the surgery and your mother passing away, that is too much for anyone to bear on their own. If you need anyone to talk to now, feel free to message me.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

rainyone
on 4/25/12 1:34 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
You've been through so much these last 23 days! I'm a April 3 surgery  I can't even imagine what dealing with parents death during the healing process would be like. Sometimes it seems all I think about is drinking, getting my protein in, how to eat , taking my vitamins etc...

My dad died when he was 54 as well ( 12 yrs ago now)  He had a heart condition but it was really unexpected.    You need to take care of yourself , it's hard but you really do . Your stress level must be through the roof .... :-( hugs

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

bubbylucy
on 4/25/12 1:36 am - Raleigh, NC
WOW! That is alot for any one person to handle. Take a deep breath and know things with the surgery will get easier. The death of your mom is so fresh and painful, you have the right to feel anyway you want. Take it one day even one minute at a time.

As for your post op status, try and focus on just the most important things fluid and protein. If you need to drink it all without eating mushies right now to make it easier than try that. If the liquids make it more difficult try some easy proteins like lunch meat, ground meats and possible eggs. Continue to sip sip sip. Each day you will get physically stronger as your body heals. As for the broken heart for your mom just be patient with yourself and know she would be so proud of what you are accomplishing.

I pray you will find the strength,

Audra

46_11tobeme
on 4/25/12 1:49 am - NJ
 I am SO sorry for what you are going through. Losing your Mom right after surgery is so hard. I know after surgery my emotions were crazy (all that estrogen being released from the fat cells) so I  cant imagine having to deal with your grief as well. I lost my father several years ago and it was a long grieving process for me so please go easy on yourself and give yourself time. I saw a therapist for a little while after my father died and I would recommend finding someone to talk to if you can (therapist, friend, priest, grief support group - whatever works).  My husband did not really understand b/c he had never lost anyone. Make sure you take care of yourself and get in your fluids. Most churches have grief support groups that you can go to even if you dont go to the church (and they are not usually too religion based if thats not your thing). Sending prayers your way!

rhonda G.
on 4/25/12 1:58 am - East Liverpool, OH
my surgery date was march 29th. since then i have lost 23lbs. but im not sure if i am getting the right amount of protein either. but i have started t o gain my strength back, and no pain finally.. you have alot going on with you physically and mentally. just stay strong and one day at a time..
Cindy T.
on 4/25/12 3:12 am - Newaygo, MI
  Hugs to you...I can't imagine how tough the last 3 weeks have been. 

Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/12 3:27 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Oh my go**** must have been an absolute horror to lose your mom at this time. I am so sorry. Tell yourself that you Mom would be proud of you and just take one day at a time. 
MyLady Heidi
on 4/25/12 3:39 am
I am so very sorry, I lost my mom ten years ago on April 10 and it is still hard even all these years later.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to have surgery at the same time, I am sure you are like a walking zombie.  My heart goes out to you.  I know its hard to find things to eat, but you know you must and you need all the strength you can muster.  When I was early out I ate fat free cream cheese with splenda to taste whipped up with a little fat free or sugar free cool whip.  It tastes sort of light whipped cheesecake.  Seriously I lived on this stuff.  I used it for the basis for dips when I was allowed to eat fruit also, I even went as far as dipping my frozen chocolate wafer protien bars in it.  I hope you find something you can eat.  Any time you need someone to talk to I would be more then happy to listen.

Good Luck.
newme_38
on 4/25/12 4:20 am - Randallstown, MD
VSG on 06/12/12
Plenty of hugs   and prayers for your strength through this difficult time.
Most Active