New to this Site and Looking for some Support

Miss-O-Matic
on 6/25/12 12:49 pm - Burbank, IL
 Hello everyone:

I'm Missi and I just signed up lastnight for this site.  After two years of working out and eating right anod not getting the results I want, I have decided to check my options with weightloss surgery.  I've always been the girl who didn't see herself as big.  But after looking at some pictures, enough is enough!

I have Humana Select HMO and have requested a list of suregons in my area.  

The stories I have read in the past shows that this is not an easy journey, and it takes time.

LIke I said, I am just looking for people going on the same journey as I am.  So please, add me as a friend and send along some encouraging words.  I promise I'm a great person to know :)
larra
on 6/25/12 12:59 pm - bay area, CA
Hello and welcome!

The best advice I can offer is to research ALL your surgical options thoroughly, not just whatever the first surgeon you see offers, not even what your insurance covers. If you decide that what is best for you is not covered, there are ways to appeal.
     So research everything - though in good conscience I can't recommend lap band to anyone, given the poor results and high rate of reoperation. That stil leaves you with (not necessarily in this order) gastric bypass, duodenal switch, and sleeve. I had the DS and have no regrets. You can find a lot of great information about it at dsfacts.com, or feel free to pm me with any questions.
     Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Larra
Miss-O-Matic
on 6/27/12 1:48 am - Burbank, IL
 Yeah, I am slowly learning that there are a TON of options out there that I didn't even knew existed!  I am seeing that a lapband, while is less invasive, won't give me the results I am looking to achieve.  Go big or go home!  LOL  Anyway, I am about to contact my doctor to get a referral to a surgeon and go from there!  In the meantime, I'll be researching!!!
larra
on 6/27/12 1:56 am - bay area, CA
Lap band has been marketed as "less invasive", but it's all major surgery. And lap band has both poor results AND the highest rate of reoperation of any wls - about 40% (some articles say more) or patients have their band removed by 6 years out, either because of complications or because it didn't work. And removing it isn't always easy because of the adhesions (scar tissue) that form around it. It's lower risk on the day of surgery, but has a lot of longterm risk, as well as crappy results.
     If you are at all interested in the DS, check the list of DS surgeons at dsfacts.com - any lists you find here are likely not accurate, and a surgeon who doesn't do the DS is unlikely to recommend it for you. So it's important to do your own research and learn as much as possible about all your options before making this important decision.

Larra
Diminishing Dawn
on 6/25/12 1:02 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Welcome.   The best thing is to research and read everything you can get your hands on.   There's a huge learning curve.  Wls for dummies is an excellent first book.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Miss-O-Matic
on 6/27/12 1:49 am - Burbank, IL
 Thanks for the book recomendation!
ChorizaNicole
on 6/25/12 4:44 pm - CA
RNY on 06/20/12
Welcome,

I believe you had a good idea by looking fpr the advice of indivduals in the same place as you. Indeed research all the WLS and look into which you feel will be best for you and your lifestyle. Indeed this life change is not easy however it is achievable with dedication and faith. My best wishes to you

SandieMc49
on 6/25/12 9:29 pm
Hi Missi - welcome to the boards!  Indeed you will have lots of questions as you research your WLS options. 

Is the journey easy - nope, it's not.  Does it end once you are goal, absolutely NOT.  Any decision regarding WLS requires a life-long commitment.  And there are many success stories on here for you to learn from.  And even peoples' "setbacks" can serve as learning moments for all of us on here if we pay attention.

I'm coming up on my 4 year anniversary next month (wow, really????) - and I'm so much healthier (wealthy and wise will come later I hope  )

Best of luck to  you!

Sandie
Miss-O-Matic
on 6/27/12 1:52 am - Burbank, IL
 Happy almost 4 year Anniversary!  I am not one of those people who think this is a an easy road.  One of my best friends in highschool had her gastric bypass about 10 years ago so I've seen her achieve and I've also seen her struggle.
crw4bama
on 6/25/12 11:28 pm - Chattanooga , TN
RNY on 06/13/12
Welcome to the boards. It is definately not a journey for the light at heart. It takes a lifestyle cheange and it is not a quick fix. I am still a baby so to speak in my journey as I a will be 2 weeks post op tomorrow.
Christy

Most Active