hungry all the time.

KIMMIKAK1119
on 8/4/12 1:05 pm
 I am hungry all the time and think about food every waking moment. never was like that before surgery or even after until recently.   
on aug 8 I will be 1 yr out and I still havent reached the first goal set for me.  We reset it for10 lbs more cuz found out I'm not as tall as I used to be. 
been in up and down mode for months on the scale. 
i guess I should focus on what I have lost since they werent sure I would lose at all due to health problems. icing on the cake to lose.   surgery was originally done to get my vitals stable so I wouldn't stroke out.  
still want to reach goal but more than that I want to stop feeling hungry all the time and when I do get full for it to last longer than an hour and to stop thinking about food all the time.    
down 90-95 back and forth.  can't get widget to change.  
God bless each and may your journey be successful. 
  KIMMIKAK                                                 
BethR311
on 8/4/12 1:12 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
I know some much wiser vets are going to chime in, but I think you need to go back to basics: protein, water and exercise. Maybe some new things to think about.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Linda_S
on 8/4/12 2:02 pm - Eugene, OR
 Yep - go back to the basics.  Are you eating too many refined carbs?  Crackers, bread, etc., can cause your blood sugar to fall.  Low blood sugar = carb cravings.  Vicious cycle.  Hungry all the time, crave carbs, eat carbs, want more carbs.  Eat protein, veggies, a few fruits.  Dairy if you tolerate it, and I mean dairy, not a cup of chemicals that says it's yogurt.  Add your own fruit, nuts, etc.  Exercise!!  It's a bear in this heat, but you've got to do it.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

lizlosjourney
on 8/5/12 10:58 pm - Temple City, CA
RNY on 06/20/12
 Hi, my name is Liz. I read your reply to another member cause you could have been addressing me. I feel lost. I am new. Had surgery, RNY, June 20 this year. I feel hungry. Can't seem to keep a structured routine. I have crackers and will stop. Even a few is too much for me. I feel panicked. I want to scream. Have knee problems so can't walk every day. Anyway I have to plan my meals better and stick to it.

I feel like such a failure. In two months post-op I only lost 19 lbs. I am 10 to 15 pounds under curve.  I lost significantly more pre-op!

Thanks for listening.  My sister had her surgery in April. I want to call her but it is too early. Gonna take a 30 minute walk (splitting my hour to avoid injury) after drinking 4 oz of my shake.

Pray for me. I am really scared.

Linda_S
on 8/6/12 1:28 am - Eugene, OR
 Hi Liz - you are not a failure.  The first thing you need to try to do is relax a bit.  Stress can really have an effect on your weight loss and, if you are feeling really stressed out, it's not going to help.  Breathe deeply.  Don't try to hit the exercise hard, just ease yourself into it.  Try to keep your diet more plant and protein-based.  Soup is good, just don't have the creamed-type soups.  Steer clear of the potatoes, crackers, bread, etc.  Sometimes weight loss doesn't start up all that quickly.  I think I really started to lose the most after about my third month out from surgery.  You're not quite there yet, so give it a bit more time.  Since your knees bother you, find something you can do while sitting.  If you don't have any hand weights, try using some canned goods, or maybe a couple of full water bottles.  Move and try to get your heart rate up.  You don't need to be an olympic athlete right off the bat.  

So many people think that weight loss surgery is the easy way out, but it's a tough row to hoe -- you'll get there, but it requires work.  You might want to try one of the free on-line sites like spark people or fit day and keep track of what you eat and your exercise.  It seems to help to have a journal, at least that's what all the research says.  Do not despair.  You're gonna be just fine.  We'll celebrate your success in a few months.

Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

lizlosjourney
on 8/7/12 11:46 pm - Temple City, CA
RNY on 06/20/12
 Linda thank you for taking time to reply. Have duly yours and others comments. Thank youneveryone. I do journal my food. I realize just how hard I am on myself. I have not been totally clean with my food. Nothing dramatic but I like to have a couple low fat trisquit type crackers now and then.  I recognize too there are days when I am just not satisfied. While I am mostly vegetariam, I have been craving something tastier like aa burger patty or the turkey. Eggbeaters became very unsatisfying. I actually craved a whole egg.  So I need to make adjustments.

Again, thanks to you and all for your words of wizdom.

KIMMIKAK1119
on 8/6/12 2:58 am
 Liz....hang in there.  the beginning is really scary.  I'm not sure if your original post was directed at my post, but if you face the health issues I do, then I know how you feel.  hang tough and remember you are barely getting started so be patient.  I started out so slow and even though I haven't reached my goal yet look at where I am.  90-95 lbs gone.  I hope you don't struggle with all the issues I do and if it is your knees and being hungry then you will be fine.   
i feel like you should be still pretty much eating dense protein first and then your veggies and fruits.  stay away from the foods that give you no health benefits and or that full feeling that lasts.  
i only began eating normally very recently and I am a year out.  only reason I even changed it do drastically is because of the IBS.  
so sweetie, get structured as you said.... it is definitely necessary especially in the beginning and if you ever need to talk just message me.  
and move as much as your body will allow. this is not the easy way as so many people believe it is.   but the journey is worth it.  
  KIMMIKAK                                                 
JJ_
on 8/4/12 7:17 pm
Which surgery did you have?

I had the RNY and find that when I have protein with each meal, I am fuller longer.  Especially denser protein, chicken, beef, pork.

Judy
Mary Catherine
on 8/5/12 12:55 am

Try roasting a turkey breast, cut it up and put in the refrigerator.  Eat as much as you want and as often as you want and nothing else for one day.  You will learn how easy it is to get really full on a small amount of protein  After that cut out most of the carbs and concentrate on eating protein.  You still have a lot of your honeymoon period left and you can easily lose more weight. 

You will stay full with dense protein until you start drinking liquids again. Do not drink with meals and hold off as long as you can after meals.  It will really help you to get and stay full.

You also will find a lot of help at an overeaters anonymous meeting.

KIMMIKAK1119
on 8/5/12 8:10 am
 thanks all.  I have tried all the stuff you have suggested except the one about eating nothing but turkey breast.  
i am sort of in a bad place because of the IBS.  I had a severe attack week before last that lasted 9 days so had to go on the IBS diet to get it under control and that diet is totally opposite of what we as gastric sleeve patients are supposed to do.  
having to find my triggers for the IBS and I know one bad one is coffee do gave it up completely.  another one bad for me is dairy so out goes my Greek yogurt.  

high protein is also on the list but think I am finding protein not to be one of my worst triggers thank the Lord. 
i exercise as much as I can but with all the structural issues and surgeries I have had for those. ( and they want to do one on neck and another one on my back) along side the osteo-arthritis in knees, neck, spine, and ankles, bone spurs, fibromyalgia, and the list goes on and on, I can't do the type of exercise I need to do.....but I try.   I walk (it's slow, but I'm moving) do stretch bands, my pt, light weights and stretches.  
i hope this is temporary.  never had this issueso its new to me.   never been a real over- eater (which I know some of you won't understand that----long story) so having to figure this all out. 
thanks for input and I'll keep all your suggestions in thought.  
thanks do much.  

KIMMIKAK                                                 
Most Active