Looking for protein ideas...

Tia T.
on 8/20/12 11:40 pm
I am still a ways out from surgery but trying to get ideas for when my day comes...
I eat very little meat, limited to ground turkey and small amounts of shredded chicken and do NOT like seafood. So, what will I use post-op for my protein intake? I have heard of using the veggie burger patties, but any other ideas?
Thanks all!
                                Looking for my inner peace

Ladytazz
on 8/21/12 1:24 am
 Well, there are protein powders that you can make shakes out of as well as adding to other thing. I used a lot of unflavored whey isolate in anything I could. There is also Greek yogurt, chili, cheese, nuts, beans, cottage cheese, ricotta, milk, eggs to name a few things. There are websites like Bariatric Foodie and Eggface that have lots of different recipes.
I found that getting in at least 100 grams of protein and at least 100 oz of fluids everyday really helped me lose weight good.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

velma001
on 8/21/12 5:54 am - Tustin, CA
 I think you can increase protein intake by taking protein shakes that are low in fat and calorie. Further, you can also include  high protein like oatmeal, pancakes, simple tuna and bean salad. In addition, you can take protein supplements also.
poet_kelly
on 8/21/12 9:07 am - OH
Oatmeal and pancakes are not usually high in protein, though they are high in carbs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

imautobot
on 8/21/12 7:19 am - Oklahoma City, OK
On a typical day I start with a Chobani Yogurt (16g), then over the next 2 hours I drink 2 servings of skim milk (14g). For lunch I have pureed pinto and or red beans seasoned with various seasonings like taco, fajita, guacamole. I add "natural" flavored Genisoy to the beans, and I estimate that has at least 20g of protein. I don't fret too much about dinner. But I do use EAS protein shakes on occassion. Zone protien bars are also good, but are only about 10-12g each.

As I said, that's a 'typical' day, my weekends, consist of whatever I feel like eating.
In a world where we are told we can be anything we want to be, the
one thing that remains most elusive is the ability to be ourselves.
Huneypie
on 8/21/12 7:27 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Feralgirl
on 8/21/12 8:15 am - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12
I like some Greek yogurt (fat free, unflavored) and I add a teaspoon of sugar-free jam to it.  I can't take in chicken (tried every which way, always comes back up), but I like to get lean slices of deli meat (watch the salt), and edamame too.
Or try some protein bars after a few weeks (moving into solid foods), I use the Simply Bar (gluten free, low carb/sugar, and sits good inside), but you may need to try a bit of different things to find what works for you.

RNY Date - June 29th 2012

Gall Bladder out Jan 17 2013

Dave Chambers
on 8/21/12 8:41 am - Mira Loma, CA

You know what your food preferences and food dislikes are before surgery, BUT, as a post op, usually your tasted "changes" and your fav foods may not be tolerated at all.  Seafood is a high protein source for a diet choice, and it may be to your liking post op.  Some post ops turn into vegetarians since they have issues tolerating meat.  I really like bison burgers, but their cost doesn't allow me to have them as much as I like.  Lowest price I can find is $9.50 for 3 of the 1/3 pound patties. I cook one patty in my Sunbeam Rocket Grill, and cut the cooked bison patty in half. One slice of whole wheat toast, spread with mustard, add a little onion, half the bison patty, and I have a small burger.  So the 1 pound of bison allows me to have 6 high protein burgers that I enjoy.  Shrimp is on my diet too. Often my local Stater Brothers market has them on sale, about 40% off, or has sales "buy 1 get 1 free" several times a year.  I took my wife to see her bariatric doc after a 3 year "no see doc" basis.  Wife noted I liked shrimp, and the doc said that shrimp was a very good source of protein.  I asked doc about my protein labs, and she said my Albumin was 4.5 (scale of 4.0 to 4.8) indicating good protein intake. My wife has issues with eating enough protein, and her albumin level was a 4.0.  Quinoa or amararanth are grains high in protein, lentils offer good protein too.  You'll likely need whey isolate protein shakes to supplement protein intake for sweveral months post op. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 8/21/12 9:06 am - OH
I don't eat any meat at all.  I get about 90 grams of protein a day.  I eat dairy products, including Greek yogurt, cheese, and raw whole milk, I eat beans, I eat veggie burgers and other Morningstar Farms Meat substitutes, I use protein shakes and bars sometimes, and occasionally tofu though I'm not really a big fan of that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active