Body Odor Changes Post-Op?

cathey9338
on 8/28/12 1:12 pm - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with
So I smell funny... It's a fact. I do.

I thought it had to be because I had a kidney infection but I've been tested multiple times and all is good.

My PCP is not concerned.  However I can not figure out why I smell funny.  Is it just different because I'm losing so much weight?  Is it different because my hormones are changing?  Is it different because I'm not eating as much?

All my pores have this new smell but areas specifically where I perspire are stronger than others.  It appears to have little to do with how often I shower.  I'm very aware of it but everyone I've asked ("Hey - Will you smell me?  Do I smell funny to you?!") seems oblivious.

Anyone else have anything similar?  Any insight?  Surely I don't just stink because I stink!!!  :)

PoohHag
on 8/28/12 1:28 pm - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 Yep, we stink.

It has a lot to do with ketosis.  All those waste products from burning old fat are coming out in your pores, your sweat, your urine, and even your breath.

Many of us had to change deodorants to stronger versions or at a minimum a different brand.

I've got the armpit and breath thing under control, but I can't stand the way my urine and privates smell.
akr9911
on 8/28/12 1:32 pm
VSG on 06/20/13
Just a guess... I wonder if it has to do with eating a high protein/low carbohydrate diet? I recall back in the day doing Atkins and that was one of the 'side effects" - if you were doing it right, you'd go into ketosis, and that would likely be accompanied by a slightly foul smell.
Michelle T.
on 8/28/12 1:57 pm - OH
...i don't have a body odor issue but i do with my breath. drives me bananas! i always find myself reaching for breath mints, listerine or even gum.
i just chalk it up to the surgery and go on with my day. (although i do tend to talk to people from more of a distance now!) but i make sure i'm 'kissable' ready at all times!
:)~

m ~
cathey9338
on 8/28/12 2:22 pm - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with
You guys are awesome!!!   Thank you!!!  I just looked up ketosis and sure enough!  That smell is what I've always attributed to kidney issues and it looks like I was in the right ballpark - although not exactly correct.

I love my deoderant but I think I might try using a little more.  It's my urine that kills me - SO GROSS!  Even immediately after getting out of the shower - I can still smell the ketosis all over me - again SO GROSS.

But I guess it will go away once I've stopped losing weight and start eating more balanced meals. (So only 16 more months to go... hehehe)

Thanks again - you guys are the best!

Onelifetolive
on 8/28/12 7:37 am, edited 8/28/12 7:45 am - TX

I can sad to say relate, I have yet to have surgery ( 10/1/2012) but I noticed that my chemistry is off.  It started once I got up in the 200's and has yet to go away.  I'm paranoid because if I can smell it I wonder who else can. My doctor states that everything is fine down there, no infections etc, he also states that the stinch is minimal and barely there, which I beg to differ.  Even my man friend says that I'm just tripping because I smell fine there as well.  So to be on the up n up I now have developed OCD on my baths    because I DONT WANT MY MONKEY TO STINK.  I hope this doesnt last for too long after surgery.  Great post, thanks

FoodAbuser
on 8/28/12 2:50 pm
it is also from all the chemicals, preservitives and such leaving your body.
I found going to the gym and sweating it out in a steam room or sauna also helped :)
FoodAbuser
on 8/28/12 2:51 pm
your body is actually going through detox :)
shygirlxoxo
on 8/28/12 4:39 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12
I dont want my monkey to stink either :(

-Anna  HW: 401 | SW: 377 (12/04/12) Blog: http://notfattabulous.blogspot.com

Onelifetolive
on 8/29/12 7:14 am - TX
A stinky monkey is a terrible thing to have.  It reminds me of that episode on cops where these two people were having sex when they broke in and the police said it smelled like animals had been slaughtered in there barns or something.  LMAO
Most Active