More on WLS and kidney stones

sassyscorpio
on 8/31/12 5:26 pm
Patients who underwent  popular forms of weight loss surgery developed kidney stones, a painful and recurring condition, at almost double the rate of obese patients who didn’t have the operation, according to one of the largest studies to examine the rate of complications from bariatric surgery.

I made a new post because it seems like posts don't get much of a response if they aren't on the front page. I copied and pasted this after googling kidney stones and weight loss surgery. My urologist told me that I probably got the kidney stones because I had WLS.

I drink so much water now, I don't see how I can drink anymore.I drink a min. of 64oz of water but usually more than that.  I am always drinking. I only drink crystal light with Stevia once per day, cause that helps me get a little  more fluid in.. Does it have to be plain water?

I read the responses to my  post yesterday, asking if I take cacium citrate. I had band surgery 5 years ago, and revision to sleeve, over 3 years ago. I've never taken any calcium other than calcium citrate. I'm pretty freaked out that I have to have surgery to remove the large stone in my right kidney, and I am not even sure what he's going to do about the one in my left kidney. I have to wait until 9-12 to have this large one removed. In the mean time, I am on pain pills. Besides the pain, I can't afford these surgeries!!

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

Ruth S.
on 9/1/12 7:03 am - Orlando, FL
Best of luck to you...I have been noted as having a small kidney stone on my left side as well but at this time they have no concern and I have no pains so Im not worried as I have other things that I need to focus on...which is neurocarciogenic syncope which to me is alot worst.
Ruth S.
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/1/12 7:09 am
 Sorry you have to deal with that. They either don't know or the docs choose not to tell us much about possible complications post op WLS. 
Hala

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Huneypie
on 9/1/12 1:43 am, edited 9/1/12 1:59 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

sassyscorpio
on 9/1/12 10:21 am
Thank you very much! That's what I would like to find out more about. I want to avoid making more stones.

I do what I am supposed to do, such as drink water until I am practicall drowning, and take calcium citrate not calcium carbonate. My urologist told me to take more calcium citrate. He doesn't think I'm absorbing it .

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

Huneypie
on 9/1/12 3:52 am, edited 9/1/12 3:52 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Many have recommended this as being good calcium http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Bone-Booster-Complex-with-M CHA-Vitamin-D

I'm using calcium from Vitalady at the mo.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Hislady
on 9/1/12 4:22 pm - Vancouver, WA
I've had stones on both sides and passed them both. Oh my lord I've never had that much pain since I did natural childbirth many years ago!!! At least then I got a kid out of it with these all I get is more pain. You have my sympathies!
Mike R.
on 9/1/12 7:06 pm - Warner Robins, GA
I only have anecdotal evidence to back my claims but cranberry pill supplements have kept me kidney stone free for the past 15 years.  Two instances when I developed a stone was when I didn't take the cranberry for 6 weeks - once when I ran out one Thanksgiving and thought since I hadn't had a stone for 5 yrs I didn't need them anymore; WRONG - 2nd time for the 6 wks post-op RNY.  Fortunately, I've been able to pass my stones but it was not a pain that I would wish on my worst enemy.  I will continue taking 2 cranberry per day as religiously as my multi-vit & calcium for the rest of my life!

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

virgdan1
on 10/2/12 7:08 am - Warren, MI
I had a duodenal switch in 2002.  Since then I've had approx. 10 kidney stones, with two surgeries to remove large ones.  I've recently had an abnormal 24 hour urine test and am now scheduled to see a nephrologist to see what stage kidney disease I'm in.  I don't drink as much water as I should, but avoid soda.  As soon as I drink a cola, I can feel a stone coming on.  My calcium is in the normal range.  My vitamin D has finally been in the normal range in the past year now that my Endo has switched me from prescription vitamin D to liquid D drops.  All other bloodwork is normal.
Most Active