You success factor after WLS

Srg2
on 2/24/13 9:40 am - CA

Since I am having surgery in less than 3 weeks I thought it would be good to ask: "What was your key success factor other than the surgery?"

Do you feel the biggest help to meeting your goals was the protein, the exercise, weight training, etc.  I know all are important but we all have one key ingredient that really makes a difference.  I am interested to know - what was it for you?

Karen8268
on 2/24/13 9:45 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
For me it was having an amazing support system. My husband and I had RNY 4 weeks apart. It is hard to mess up with someone living in the same house watching you! Lol
Family, friends, a great surgical support group or even coming here as often as you need to will help keep you on track and let you vent and ask questions.
Good luck on your journey!!

Laura in Texas
on 2/24/13 10:31 am

My key to success is believing I am worth the effort it takes to lose the weight and keep it off.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Laura in Texas
on 2/25/13 4:55 am

Thank you. The mental part is definitely the hardest. I work hard to stay at goal because I know I deserve it. No excuses.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

happydsr
on 2/24/13 11:04 am

my key success factor was adhering to the DS (duodenal switch) life - high protein, high fat, low carb.  The weight dropped off quickly over 12 months as I lost 200 pounds, maintaining that loss now for another 4 years.

I also make sure to have my blood work done regularly and tweak my vitamins based on my body's needs.

MsBatt
on 2/24/13 2:36 pm

I give ALL the credit for my success to my choice of surgery type. I went with the DS, and it fits perfectly with how I want to live---and eat. (*grin*) Unlike every diet I've ever been on, the DS doesn't ask me to do anything that's contrary to my nature.

Mary Catherine
on 2/24/13 3:18 pm

Lots of protein shakes, no bread, rice, pasta, white flour, sugar, pastries.  Flaxseed meal muffin in a minute recipes.  I just decided to eat only healthy foods and to enjoy them

Mom4Jazz
on 2/24/13 11:07 pm

For me it was measuring and tracking my food. I still do this.

Measuring: we have lying eyes and under-estimate our portions.

Tracking: keeps me accountable and seems to encourage me to make good choices. I log everything, even when I slip. I find myself not eating things because I dread logging them. Strange but true.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

vanessamorris
on 2/25/13 12:00 am - columbus, OH

find someone that lives close to you who is at same level you are at.they are out there. talk daily. seriously you will need each other. there will be things you can not prepare for.

TXKashmir
on 2/25/13 1:07 am - Grand Prairie, TX

Believe it or not, I contribute a lot of my success to these Obesity Help message boards. The folks on here know their stuff, have been there/done that, and are always there with a gentle nudge or swift kick in the rear as needed!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Most Active