8 Years and going strong!

geniene
on 5/16/13 5:25 am - Maspeth, NY

I will be celebrating my 8th anniversay tomorrow from the best decision I ever made in my life!  I lost a total of 140 pounds in the first year but then put back 20 and have kept off the 120 pounds for 7 years.  I do work hard at it and see it can come back, after five years I saw myself gaining it back fast.  I put on about 15 pounds and was able to pull myself back before it got too late.  I go the gym at least 3 to 5 times a week and try to watch what I eat most of the time. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/13 8:28 am
RNY on 05/23/13

Congratulations Geniene! Such an inspirational story to hear! I am going in for my WLS next week and stories like this make me even more excited! I applaud you on your hard work and I hope I can do as great as you are doing!

Congrats Again!!

xo,

Cass

geniene
on 5/17/13 6:20 am - Maspeth, NY

Thank you and I wish you all good things.  I remember the night before the surgery, I had it open too, I cried, I was so scared.  I also remember thinking that I felt like a failure and I couldn't believe I made this happen to me.  BUT.  In the end, I knew I had to work hard at it after too.  My surgeon said to me "I fix the stomach, not the brain" so true.  Our old fat mind wants to eat.  And I do eat, I now watch all week, gym and weekends I eat good stuff and drink a few glasses of wine and enjoy life.  Doing things I never dreamed I would.

All the best and keep me posted!

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/13 3:13 am
RNY on 05/23/13

Thank you! I'm a little nervous, but no really embarrassed. Maybe embarrassed to tell others, but I know this is a wonderful step in the direction of success. I will be working hard and I will not turn back! Thank you,

Cass

I will keep you updated! :)

mylastchance
on 5/16/13 9:13 am

Geniene,  Congratulations on 8 years....you have inspired me with this post.....I have been looking through the entire OH site looking for help.  I will be 3 years out on June 2 and have been regaining and eating the wrong foods and just losing control and have to get a hold of myself and reading your post has helped.  I am realizing that I really need to join the gym and put myself number one again.  Thanks again for posting this....though it was a post celebrating your 8 years...it has helped me greatly.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

geniene
on 5/17/13 6:25 am - Maspeth, NY

Mylastchance, I dont like that user name, lol!  We have chances everyday!  Everyday you wake up and you can change your life.  I have to say there was a period where I thought Oh God I am going to gain this weight back.  I remember learning what foods I can eat and how much of them I can have.  The fat brain is very slick.  PUT yourself first, I have two kids, 14 and 23 and I work one full time job and one part time.  I found i can only go to the gym at lunch at my full time job.  No other time.  So my point, you got to do what you got to do.  For 5 years I got up at 5 am and went before work - it did get tired from not sleeping but I had to do it.  Food wise, that is the brain you have to play with so now I do this.  I tell myself, I have to drink 1.2 gallon of water before lunch.  Yes -- because I HATE WATER.  So I have my breakfast and my coffee.  Then from 10 to around noon I drink the water, run to the bathroom alot but do it.  YOU CAN DO IT, keep me posted.

mylastchance
on 5/17/13 9:47 am

I love my user name.....at the time I joined OH and decided surgery was for me I felt it was my last chance to finally lose the weight I needed to.....I am no spring chicken and have been overweight as long as I can remember and growing up my mother and brothers reminded me of it often, so that is why the name.

I appreciate your reply and will put some of this to use....thanks again for your help.

5' 1"

stratusphr
on 5/16/13 9:56 am - Plano, TX
I'll celebrate 3 years on June 11th. I'm not having a hard time maintaining, I've been doing it for 2.5 years. Tell me, does something change at around five years or did you just get complacent? This is really scary, I think it's what we all fear. Congrats on getting back to it!!!
mylastchance
on 5/17/13 9:53 am

I know it is just me.....forgetting I am not "NORMAL".....I have let this get out of control and now working on getting back on track.  I let myself fall back into old habits and am seeing the light and turning it around.  Thanks for your post and continued good luck to you.

5' 1"

stratusphr
on 5/16/13 9:57 am - Plano, TX
Most Active