8 Years and going strong!

Member Services
on 5/16/13 11:34 am - Irvine, CA

Happy 8th anniversary!!!!  Congratulations on all you dedication and hard work.  Thanks for sharing!

Member Services
on 5/17/13 10:14 am - Irvine, CA

What a great job you have done!!!!  

CColeman
on 5/17/13 11:02 am

Congratulations. I love to celebrate my surgerversary every year. I am now three and one half years out and have lost 135 pounds. So far *crossed fingers* I have gained only four pounds. I am glad to hear from someone who is much further out and doing so well. Your journey is very encouraging. Please keep us posted.

chicagomo
on 5/17/13 11:41 pm

congrats! You are an inspiration. I am one year out and I love reading long term success stories. It's my fear that although I have been successful and lost 127# I will regain!Two close friends of mine who had RNY have regained, so I am determined not to follow their lead. Thanks for sharing.

DoryAnne2
on 5/18/13 5:31 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Thank you for your encouragement.  I only had my surgery 6-1/2 weeks ago, but it's good to hear from people who have been successful in keeping their weight off long-term.  I'm committed, after going through all this, to learning how to change my relationship with food and reach a healthy weight.  Thanks again for sharing. 

mermaid55
on 5/20/13 11:25 pm - Brimley, MI

I will be  9 yrs in December and I have no regrets. I have lost over 200 pounds and doing good. I have gained a few back but when that happens I get strict and go back to basics and it helps.

Member Services
on 5/20/13 11:36 pm - Irvine, CA

WAY TO GO!  CONGRATULATIONS  

nursygirl
on 5/20/13 11:53 pm - San Jose,, CA

I, too am 8 years out and like you, it was the best ( and only) decision that I could have ever made.  At the time I started preparation for the surgery, you had to be under a doctor's care for 2 years.  I had to walk 10,000 steps per day and call in the number EACH DAY to my doc.  If I didn't, they could have removed me from the list!  Talk about motivation!  A little more than 18  months into my journey, I was diagnosed with acute liver failure. That was in late February 2005.  The docs didn't think I would live for very long.  I was 257 lbs and 5'5' tall and very sick.  Thankfully, I was in the home stretch of my prep program and just 2 weeks later received a telephone call from the surgical team.  Because my sister was getting married in July in NY, the team felt it best to wait until after, so that I could travel.  At that time, the docs couldn't guarantee a problem free trip only 6 weeks after surgery.  So, on July 6, 2005 I had an open procedure that changed my life.  Immediately after surgery I felt like I had been hit with by a mack truck, but I wasn't sorry and I can honestly say that in all these years, I have never said "I wish I hadn't done that".  I have been an active participant in my children's lives (much to their dismay at times....lol) and an active participant in my own life with my husband by my side.

It is not easy.  I watch what I eat,  I make decision about what to eat and when, I struggle to drink my water and I am human.  The surgery fixed my stomach.  Only I can fix my brain.

I have lost 110 pounds and I maintain a 105 pound weight loss.  The hormone thing (I am 47) makes those 5 lbs appear and it is my job to help them disappear!

Congratulations on a job well done!  Here's to another 8 and another 8 and so on!

Anjanette

"Never let the fear of striking out get in the way of trying" George Herman "Babe" Ruth

No excuses....just do it!

carpink72
on 5/21/13 12:09 am - East Orange, NJ

Happy Surgiversary!!!  I am seven years post op and have lost a total of 143 lbs, I've gained about 20 lbs and lost 10 of the 20 lbs I've regained.  It is a work in progress and at least we recognize to get back on track when we start seeing those signs of weight gain.  Congrats on a job well done.

Patm
on 5/21/13 4:36 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thank you for posting. I am 15 months out and just trying to figure out maintenance. It is so inspirational to hear someone doing so well after 8 years.

Most Active