Not easy looking for Bariatric Dr

browneyes65
on 6/10/13 3:02 pm - IN

It's not easy looking for a Dr, What did you look for in the Dr? I think I'm leaning toward Dr. John Schram he is in Holland Michigan Lakeshore Bariatric center and he is the only Dr I found that his practice is 100% Bariatrics , unless I'm missing someone. A friend had him as her surgeon and praises him. I'm not sure yet but he does take medicare and medicaid because I called and they said you have to have both. How long did you research your Dr, what all do you look for ?

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 6/10/13 10:20 pm

It first started out with recommendations from patients, then I looked for a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence.

I went to a few different seminars to compare surgeons......one I didn't particularly like--a few years ago he refused to do WLS laprascopically because he felt the patient wasn't committed unless they would commit to being cut open....(I thought that was a bit barbaric)

There are a few local hospitals which are all good, but I chose a surgeon who is farther away because it was just a good match....hope that helps......

mokee
on 6/11/13 12:31 am - OH

Went to 4 seminars.   Looked for bariatric surgeon of excellence.   Wanted one that had at least 100 sleeve surgeries under his belt.   His background had to be impressive.  Took me 4 months to find the one I wanted.   Down 70 lbs in 7 months.   Not a lot but I am 66 yrs old and still on insulin.   The loss has slowed down considerably.   I fight for every lb now.  It is a lot of work but definetly worth it.  

VSG  12-28-2012

Most Active