Cardiologist today and feeling really annoyed

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/13 12:11 am, edited 8/1/13 12:29 am

Oh, and the meds for depression... totally agree.  As long as you are proactive and working on those issues, meds are not always necessary.  But i will say, some drugs do assist with weight loss but if that isn't your way, that's OKAY!!!  You should never be pushed into drugs you don't want.  Not ever!

But you still have an eating disorder.  We don't get to be as fat as we are without one.  Oh, you can justify it however you wish.  We still don't get to over 300# with no food issues.  Life isn't like that.  And that's okay!

AndiT
on 8/1/13 12:44 am - Hillsboro, OR
VSG on 10/30/13

Ok, I gather the general consensus is that I 1. Am trying to force this person into doing something she shouldn't and 2. I am somehow in denial about my weight.  Or how I got fat.  I know how I got fat, just like you know how you got fat.

I in no way shape or form said this person should put their butt on the line and not do a stress test on me, what my *****ing was about was her saying was that there was no way a stress test could be done on anyone over 300 pounds, thats bull.  Her telling me I need to get down to 300 lbs first, was a frustrating comment, it pissed me off.  I have that right.  Clearly I'm trying to do the right stuff to get surgery that will help me lose the weight, so it just seemed kinda, I'm not sure what the word is... whatever.  I was also pissed off that a direct question as to HOW a medication she is prescribing would help me went unanswered.  I am not some idiot who just tosses pills down cause a doctor says, here, take this.  I want to know what it is, why, how it works, what its effects long term are.  Whether she knew or didn't or whether is was her arrogance that kept her from answering doesn't matter much, a patient being given a medication should be told, when asked, what and why.  Of course I need to get my blood pressure under control before surgery, again, I am not stupid.  I want my heart to be as healthy as possible.  I also am not very comfortable with a doc that sees a medication as an answer for every problem.  THATS MY CHOICE.  If some of you don't like that I feel this way, oh well.

My weight... I didn't like that the assumption was there that if I am depressed, then that must somehow be the issue with my weight and therefor I have an eating disorder.  Her assumption that I eat because I am depressed is crap and one I am sick of seeing associated with fat people.  While it most certainly is the case with some, it is not with all.  I am not "justifying" anything about my weight at all.

andi5
on 8/1/13 2:04 am - IA

It seems that sometimes these doctors have no class and have their noses stuck up in the air. You might want to consider getting a second opinion. Either that or speak with your WLS clinic to see how they feel about what she said about the stress test. It does seem a little strange that she can not perform a stress test unless you are under 300 lbs. (Like you said, lots of people over 300 lbs have had it done)

And not everyone with depression needs medication! There are many books and sites online addressing different ways to handle depression without medicating yourself. I take medication for depression, but that is my choice and I feel better on the meds. You know yourself better than anyone, and if you feel you are able to keep your depression in line with no drugs, then stand your ground. You have the right to say no, and depression medication should not be pushed on you if the depression is under control!

Good luck, and I am sorry for some of these peoples comments. Some of them really upset me the way they spoke to you!

TXKashmir
on 8/1/13 3:59 am - Grand Prairie, TX

A lot of assumptions were made based on your relatively short post. Personally, I thought everything you said made sense. A lot of us were in denial about certain things pre-op, myself included, and it's easy to project that upon others. In the end, we're all different, and that should be respected.

1. It is entirely possible to do a stress test on someone at 300 lbs+, but it may require special equipment that this particular cardiologist doesn't have access to. I can still understand your frustration with this - don't feel it's not ok to come here and vent - it's part of what we're here for! :)

2. I think it's quite responsible of you to balk at taking a medication that can't be explained to you, and agree there is something wrong when the doctor can't tell you how it works. That's either arrogance or ignorance on her part - both unacceptable. You may want to consider a different cardiologist, if that is at all possible. It will be important to get your blood pressure under control to keep you safe during surgery.

3. The idea that all obese individuals have an eating disorder and/or suffer clinical depression is irresponsible. There are too many factors that go into this issue to make such broad assumptions. You're obviously seeking help already for your mood issues, and not all people who suffer from these require medication. Good for you on advocating for yourself here - we could all take a lesson.

Anyway, best of luck to you - this journey is fraught with struggles throughout, but we're here for you, and, in the end, I will look forward to hearing all about your success!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

ajohnson201376
on 8/1/13 6:11 am - MD

" I want to know what it is, why, how it works, what its effects long term are."

You have to find a cardiologist that likes to take his/her time to explain things thoroughly to the patients. The cardiologist was probably prescribing the drug that she prescribes most often to her patients and has had the best success. She might not have known how to describe the drug to you in layman's terms. 

Would you have understood her if she told you, for example "Metoprolol /mɛˈtprlɑːl/ is a selective β1 receptor blocker used in treatment of several diseases of the cardiovascular system, especially hypertension" or "Furosemide, like other loop diuretics, acts by inhibiting NKCC2, the luminal Na-K-2Cl symporter in the thick ascending limb of the loop of Henle. The action on the distal tubules is independent of any inhibitory effect on carbonic anhydrase or aldosterone; it also abolishes the corticomedullary osmotic gradient and blocks negative, as well as positive, free water clearance"

Every drug has side effects. Some people do great with a certain drugs, other people do lousy with that same drug. Some people who have high blood pressure might need to take several drugs at the same time to control their pressure. 

Anytime you take a drug, you need to ask yourself  about risk vs reward. Are you better off living with the high blood pressure the rest of your life and risking a heart attack/stroke, or are you better off taking the drug and possibly suffering side effects.

We all eat junk foods that might cause cancer, obesity, diabetes etc but don't care about the consequences but somehow, when it comes to drugs "oh no, drugs are harmful I don't want to take any". If you think that drugs can cause harm and don't want to take any, then you should cut out the sodas, chips, candy, red meat, barbequed/smoked meats,  stay away from the beach etc

AndiT
on 8/1/13 6:16 am - Hillsboro, OR
VSG on 10/30/13

Thank you, clearly I was wrong for asking.

MsBatt
on 8/1/13 8:45 am

No, you weren't wrong for asking---she was wrong for not giving you an answer.

When I was over 300 pounds, my doctor wouldn't do a conventional stress test, either---but he did do a stress test that involved giving me an IV drug that simulated walking on the treadmill. All *I* did was sit in a chair and wear a monitor. Perhaps your (new!) cardiologist could go this route.

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/13 10:26 am
On August 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM Pacific Time, AndiT wrote:

Thank you, clearly I was wrong for asking.

Not sure, maybe drama works for some, not me though.

NOBODY suggested you were wrong for asking questions.  Read it again and digest it this time.

samsander
on 8/1/13 10:15 am, edited 8/1/13 10:15 am - CA
You were not wrong for asking AT ALL....
I too would be frustrated as heck with the answers and attitude you received.

Mary

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Most Active