Nervous

guymo4
on 12/25/13 11:27 am
RNY on 01/08/14

I am scheduled for surgery on 1/8. Getting nervous. Know that I need this to be able to have a long healthy life but all of a sudden I am a little panicked about the surgery.. Is this normal? I have had months of tests, nutritional, and prep for this and now I am getting cold feet..I have small kids at home so I am most nervous about something going horribly wrong. I have not had any doubt until the past day or so....Hope this will pass and is just part of the process...

Any advice is much appreciated.

Member Services
on 12/26/13 12:27 am - Irvine, CA

Good Morning,

We are excited for you!! Congratulations.  Being nervous is normal and if it would help make another appointment to speak with your surgeon and or any one on staff. That is what they are there for.

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

Regards,

Member Services

dragonlove
on 12/26/13 6:21 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Everyone has a bout of cold feet.  Different times, different lengths, and different strengths, but we all have it.  Mine was about 3 days before and I actually broke down in church realizing that this was a big scary thing.

Just consider if you have thought of anything new? If so, then study it carefully.  If you didn't think of anything new, and this is just your gut talking, then try to calm down and have confidence in your earlier planning, research, and resolve.  No one is going to make light of your fears and no one can promise you that nothing will go wrong.  Just remember your earlier security in your surgeon and the confidence you had last week.

Hang in there and feel free to chat on here.  What surgery are you having?  You can find direct contacts with people who are pre-op and post-op for your surgery on the forums set up for the specific surgeries.  Talking there might help you as well.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

guymo4
on 12/27/13 9:05 am
RNY on 01/08/14

Must be an omen you replied... I too am having the Rouen Y. I saw ur date was 11/20.. That's my birthday..:-) thanks for the kind positive reinforcement. I'm not one to look back or second guess myself so when I started getting those second thought feelings, I scared myself even more. My aunt had the surgery and she's been a rock for me.. I know I need to do it, I just need to put my mind where my spirit is..

thanks for replying

dragonlove
on 12/27/13 12:44 pm, edited 12/27/13 12:44 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Feel free to ask any more questions!  You'll often get a variety of answers - but that's because there is no one single answer many of the times.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Monica W.
on 12/26/13 9:18 am - xenia, OH
RNY on 01/21/13
Hello Just read your post..I don't get on to much but hope I can encourage you to go for it and try not to be nervous. Look at it this way....being obese you could have things happen to you such as a heart attack and many other health problems. I had the RNY 11 months ago. I just looked at a pic I had this time last year and I am so happy I had it done. I feel wonderful and have lost 116 lbs. I was worried about my age I was 60 when I had the RNY. It is normal to feel nervous, this time next year you will be amazed!!! I look and feel like a different person. I run into people and they dont even reconnize me and say I look great. So think of your children and the gift of being able to get around and be healthy. I have 3 grandchildren I could not hardly get around to have fun with now I can walk go to stores buy clothes, it is such an awesome feeling. I feel free. Hugs & prayers to you. I would like to keep up with you on your surgery and progress.
Sincerely,
Monica

Monica M.

guymo4
on 12/27/13 9:34 am
RNY on 01/08/14

Thanks so much! I have often thought about how nice it will be to sit in a booth and be comfortable. To fit in an airplane seat. To wear clothes that come from a store in the mall and not online... I am really happy for you that  you feel so good and have lost so much in a year. I can't wait for someone not to recognize me. I work with another manager who's blonde too... I'm the fat one and she's the skinny one. Hopefully next year, they will need to remember my name because we will both be skinny! Thanks for the encouragement... It's much appreciated.

Ness123
on 12/27/13 10:05 am

Did you have the operation, how did you go?

guymo4
on 12/27/13 7:21 pm
RNY on 01/08/14

Not yet... 1/8/14. New beginning date

Countryluvngal
on 12/27/13 1:13 pm

I just had the RNY (11/20/2013).  It took me a long time to decide to have the surgery.   There were many "moments" I questioned if I was making the right decision.  Honestly, the morning of surgery, I was so excited.  They couldn't get me into surgery fast enough.   I set my mind that I would rather have a few weeks of minor discomfort than the remainder o my life with the physical and emotional discomfort that comes with obesity.   I'm feeling better every day, and am looking forward to the journey.      I'm so glad I decided to have the surgery.  Feeling nervous is normal, but it is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself.   Keep us posted. :)

Most Active