Did I just have a baby or have a VSG?

michellebrad
on 2/25/14 6:27 am - Eastlake, OH

Wow.. my hormones are insane.. or I am.. one of the two ;)  Today is 6 days Post-Op!  Yesterday, I spent the whole day worrying and the whole evening crying like a baby.  I was also really scared to be home by myself because I thought something bad might happen and I didn't want my kids to see it.  UGH!  I feel like a total emotional MESS!  Last night, the first night I decided NOT to take Roxicet and I couldn't fall asleep.  My heart was beating a million beats a second it seemed... like it was going to beat out of my chest.  My left shoulder hurt (of course, I thought OMG, chest pains) and I was completely restless.  I finally caved, took some roxicet and finally slept.  I think I'm having some crazy anxiety!!  Anyway I called the surgeon (who is the BEST ever..) and they asked me to come in where I was asked all kinds of questions.  We basically eliminated everything together, just chalking it up to either anxiety or the sudafed I was taking.  UGH!  I feel like an idiot for having to go in there, but I do feel better now.  I swear, this is more of an emotional rollercoaster now than any physical issues.  My pain is near nothing, I'm tolerating water and liquids okay... but WOW the hormones are crazy... I feel like I did after I had my kids! :)   Hopefully, this phase will pass quickly, or else I'm gonna freak myself out even more.  Although.. now I have some meds to help with the anxiety so we'll see how that helps.

On a funnier note... I had a CRAZY dream last night.  I went to a family function and I took a bite of a cookie and went OH NO I CAN'T have that...and spit it back out.  Then I was like OMG I can't believe I forgot about not eating, then I picked something else up and took a bit..spit it out and was like HELLO?!??!  Do you remember you had WLS?   I then for some reason went back to a cookie and was like NO, I'm NOT eating it.. .I can't!  I felt so victorious that I remembered... lol.  OY.. I hope the next few days are easier for me emotionally. :)

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

Sweetish
on 2/25/14 7:46 am
RNY on 12/12/14

I know some people say that after surgery they are on an emotional roller coaster the first couple weeks as their hormones are affected due to the surgery.  I am pre-op, so I can't really speak as an expert, but that is what I have read a lot on here.  I can tell you that I had to go to the ER last week for what I thought was a heart attack.  I, also, am taking Sudafed.  They did a bunch of tests and everything turned out normal.  It is some potent stuff.  I am allergic to everything it seems and that is the only thing that helps with my head congestion.  I thought my heart was beating so fast and  I did have chest pain on my right side, hence the ER.  I always read on here that if something doesn't feel right to get to the ER.  The ER doc said I should do a treadmill test (?).  I don't know what that is.  Just, curious, did the anxiety come after surgery?  I wondered about that because it seems like I am always thinking about food and wondered if it caused it.  When you feed a family it seems like you're always thinking about what to make all the time for everyone.  My allergist put me on ZyrtecD-no Sudafed.  She said it takes a week to feel it working so I am keeping my fingers crossed.  Seems to be doing the trick so far.

michellebrad
on 2/25/14 9:06 am - Eastlake, OH

Hey... thanks for the idea about Zyrtec D -- that stuff always worked for me right away, but it also made me super sleepy. 

I have a history of anxiety and am on Zoloft but I think I just panicked a bit more I guess.  I know after surgery I was shivering, and everyone kept asking if I was cold.  I was never cold, so I attributed it to anxiety.  They gave me a shot of ativan (I think that was it...) and I was better.  So I'm thinking it may have been the sudafed exacerbated the anxiety I had... I don't know.  I still feel a bit jittery but not nearly as bad as earlier.  I'm sure the emotions will still be going nuts though :)

southernlady5464
on 2/25/14 8:16 am

Hormones are stored in your fat...as you lose fat, you dump the hormones into your system.

It DOES calm down about 2 years out or when you reach goal weight. But until then, it's like PMS on steroids!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

michellebrad
on 2/25/14 9:06 am - Eastlake, OH

OMG 2 years?!?!  I may have to find a new family by then... lol ;)

southernlady5464
on 2/26/14 2:42 am

OR when you reach your goal weight. For me it was about 8 months. But some are still losing their excess at 2 years out.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Gwen M.
on 2/26/14 2:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

TWO YEARS?!  OMG.  I thought it only lasted 6 months or so!!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

southernlady5464
on 2/26/14 2:43 am

OR when you reach your goal weight. For me it was about 8 months. But some are still losing their excess at 2 years out.

Gwen M.
on 2/26/14 3:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Aaauuugggggghhhhhh. My family will kill me before I even get close to my goal. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

southernlady5464
on 2/26/14 4:16 am

TRY having both you and your spouse doing this at the same time...my dh is 5 weeks ahead of me. BOTH of us had bad cases of PMS during the weight loss phase.

Most Active