Hiatal hernia

Blithe1212
on 2/28/14 8:06 am
VSG on 03/05/14

I am scheduled for my vsg march 5th.   I just found out I have a hiatal hernia. Will this get repaired during surgery? Should I ask the surgeon to repair it? Anyone else have one? Thank you

Lpsmom
on 2/28/14 11:17 am

I am also having surgery on the 5th and my surgeon is repairing my hiatal hernia at the same time.  He said it would only take one or two extra stitches.

MsBatt
on 2/28/14 1:13 pm

Hiatal hernias are VERY common, especially in the obese.And yes, your surgeon should repair it when he does your Sleeve.

Stacey-in-Syracuse
on 2/28/14 3:49 pm - Jordan, NY
RNY on 12/20/12

My surgeon knew about my hiatel hernia, but he did not repair it at the time of my surgery.  I had just barely been having symptoms before surgery, and have had absolutely none now.  If they are willing to fix it, go for it!!

RNY on 12/20/12 at 307.  Highest ever 326 pounds.  Goal weight 180 pounds.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/28/14 3:58 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

With a VSG the surgeon will fix it for sure. Tell him about it though. I had one that was unknown to me and my surgeon saw it when he went in there so he fixed it, saying that otherwise my sleeve could end up in my chest cavity. So yeah its good to have it taken care of at the same time. Think the RNY anatomy is not the same so that may be why the previous poster did not have her HH fixed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Blithe1212
on 2/28/14 8:20 pm
VSG on 03/05/14

Thank you everyone! 

AnneGG
on 3/2/14 1:02 am

I had mine repaired at the same time as surgery.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

catgirl0100
on 3/3/14 12:00 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I went into surgery knowing I had a hiatial hernia. The surgeon said he would look at it and if it needs to be repaired he'd fix it. He said not all need repair.  If they need to repair it prepare for severe swelling. But keep going because it will be worth it.

Lindzie98
on 3/3/14 12:10 am - Crum Lynne , PA

I got one about 6 mo post op thinking of getting it fixed idk. Yet confused

Most Active