COUNSELOR appointment done and.....

epre361706
on 4/8/14 8:01 am
RNY on 01/09/15

Thanks everyone for the support, I finished my appointment without a hitch. But she told me that insurance is doing away with both lap band and the sleeve!!  Has anyone else heard of this?  Thank you

SunnyGal14
on 4/8/14 8:25 am
VSG on 08/06/14

Congratulations! 

I'm still preop too.  I'm can't imagine insurance doing away with the sleeve.  My insurance just started covering it for ppl with a bmi under 50. Interesting! I'm anxious  to see what others say.

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/8/14 8:45 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Congrats! Maybe it's your insurance that's doing away with the band & the sleeve? I heard that a lot  of people have complications with the band & it doesn't last, erosion of the band I think, the sleeve might just be too new as a stand alone procedure for some insurance companies to cover.

poet_kelly
on 4/8/14 10:19 am - OH

I don't know why they'd be doing away with the sleeve.  I think they should stop paying for the band, though, since it has such a high complication rate and also a high failure rate.  I don't know why they'd bother paying for it.  Many surgeons and hospitals no longer to band surgeries, anyway, for those reasons.

Check with your insurance company, though.  I'm not sure a counselor would be very up to date about what insurance polices cover what procedures.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/8/14 10:41 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

The sleeve has been approved by the asmbs as an approved stand alone effective procedure. That is why almost every insurance covers it. I would think they are wrong. Many therapist do not even know what all of the surgeries are. The lpa band I can see because it showing to be very ineffective.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/14 1:18 am - OH

My insurance dropped the band at the beginning of the year.  Too may complications and additional surgeries.  It covers VSG and RNY for everyone and DS with BMI over 50.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

AnneGG
on 4/9/14 8:07 am

My insurance covers the sleeve finally (it didn't at the time I had surgery), and covers the lap band also.

I guess it will depend on your particular insurance re: what they cover. 

Glad your counselor appointment went well!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Jules78
on 4/9/14 8:16 am, edited 4/9/14 8:17 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Haven't heard this but I do know that my surgery center, Emory Bariatrics, no longer offers the band. 

Most Active