Sleep study

ShadowWolf3
on 4/29/14 11:22 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I know I have sleep apnea severe.  Was diagnosed a long time ago and was told I had to wear a cpap machine. I only had it for a few days and it made me feel worse.  So I had to sign a paper refusing to use it and Dr refused to treat me saying I would be lucky if I lived two years.  Well its been over five or so years not sure offhand and here I am.

My question is because I can't wear one will it affect me getting my WLS? I have two more medically supervised diet before seeing surgeon and just wondered if anyone else has had same problem?

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

burghblonde
on 4/29/14 11:39 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

I don't have sleep apnea, however I can imagine that it would take anyone a bit of time to get used to.

I'm not sure which CPAP you tried but there are a lot of alternatives out there. If you had a full mask, perhaps ask to try it again with something different? There are other applications which deliver the positive airway pressure. It may be worthit to have the test done again and try a new technology.

I am not sure if it would hinder things with WLS. I do know, however, that my insurance is adamant about a sleep study clearance.

Best wishes to you. I hope that you can get it all sorted out for the best.

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

ShadowWolf3
on 4/29/14 11:58 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I tried both the nasal and full face mask.  It just made me feel worse.  I would wake up with severe headaches from it plus sore throat.  I even had the moist heat cpap machine.  I just hope all works out.  I do have the letter from that Dr and will show the surgeon to see what she says.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

Mary Gee
on 4/29/14 11:47 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I had to have the sleep apnea test, and of course, the results were positive.  The doctor said it was very mild and she wouldn't normally put me on a c-pack, except for the fact I'm having surgery.  I hate the darn thing and it doesn't make me feel any better.  But I have to wear it until I get the surgery, because my use is monitored by a modem.  

May I ask how the machine made you feel worse?  I hate the mask - I feel like I'm being smothered.  I've read where some people rejoice in how much more energy they have -- hasn't happened to me.

Your surgeon may make you see a cardiologist - because sleep apnea can cause heart problems, including heart attacks.  If the doctor told you that you may not be alive in two years, I'd suggest making a committed effort with the machine again.  Just because you've made it through for five years doesn't erase the fact that sleep apnea can cause heart problems.  And after surgery, it resolves for many people.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question specifically.  Good luck with your appointment with the surgeon.  Hope all goes well.    

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

ShadowWolf3
on 4/30/14 12:05 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

It gave me horrible headaches and sore throat. I tried both methods nasal and face mask.  I already have an appointment with cardiologist for clearance because in 1999 I had a very mild heart attack while chopping wood.  Didn't go to hospital for it because wasn't sure that was what I had but ekg I had for cardiac clearance for when I was supposed to have WLS in 2000 showed changes and cardiologist asked when I had one.

Sandy M.
on 4/30/14 1:33 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I think your question is best answered by your surgeon.  But as someone who had severe sleep apnea for years, I do suggest that you try the CPAP again.  If you're getting a headache and a sore throat it could easily  be caused by dehydration and/or being a mouth breather.  A full face mask could help with that, or you could also try a chin strap to keep your mouth closed.  And make sure that you're getting at least 8-10 glasses of water a day.  There are also dry mouth rinses that you could try just before you go to bed to help with the sore throat.

It took me about six weeks to finally get used to the CPAP to the point I could sleep through the night with it.  After that I felt I couldn't live without it.  In fact, last summer when I had a repeat sleep test and was declared cured, I had a very hard time sleeping without the CPAP!

I assume that you already know this, but untreated sleep apnea can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, automobile accidents caused by falling asleep at the wheel, diabetes, depression, and other ailments.  Probably why your Dr. tried to scare you into treatment.  

Sleep is also vital to weight loss.  A chronically sleep deprived person has a much harder time maintaining the compliance necessary to be successful.  For myself, carb cravings are worse when I don't have a good nights sleep.  And I tend to self medicate with food when I'm tired.

You should definitely talk to your surgeon.  At the very least, he needs to know so that they can take extra precautions with your airway during surgery, and have extra monitoring after surgery while you're still waking up.  And remember, pain meds tend to depress your breathing too, so all members of your care team need to be aware.

Good luck to you!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

ShadowWolf3
on 4/30/14 3:59 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I  am a mouth breather which is why they gave me the moist air cpap machine so my mouth would not dry out.  I do drink a lot of water so dry mouth is not a problem normally for me.

As for the nasal ones he did not think it would work well for me because I have a deviated septum and my insurance company at the time refused to pay for it to be corrected so one nasal is partially blocked.  He wanted to fix it plus cut part of the back of my throat to open it up back there.  But insurance refused.  I am glad in a way.

baepage
on 4/30/14 8:08 am - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

I had to have a sleep study done before my surgery.  I ended up with sleep apnea.  I had to take the machine with me while I was at the hospital, if I didn't take the machine with me they would refuse the surgery.  The girl I shared a room with in the hospital had hers too.  3 months after surgery my sleep apnea was gone, and now I am machine free. 

Barbara

Cunning_Pam
on 4/30/14 8:17 am
RNY on 12/18/13

My husband was diagnosed with OSA, and has had his CPAP for almost a year now. It took him a good six months to really become comfortable with it, and that took a lot of tweaking and adjusting. Now that it's "right" for him, he can't stand sleeping without it, and will even put it on if he takes a nap for an hour or so.

You may end up with a problem due to your not using the CPAP. My apnea was very mild, so I hadn't used my machine in years, and I had a struggle with the hospital moreso than the surgeon over it. Now that I've lost some of the weight I need to my apnea has cleared up, but not everyone is that fortunate.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

ShadowWolf3
on 4/30/14 8:21 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I guess I will wait and see what happens.

Most Active