How many times do you eat a day?

MrsD68
on 5/21/14 8:44 pm

I spoke with my nut for my first post op phone call.. she was "concerned" when I told her I eat 3 meals, and 2 snacks.. If my protein is still short, I drink a protein shake or a cup of Fairlife milk for the last boost. I am staying around 600-770 calories a day. I focus on protein foods, because I am still "post op" since 4/15. I a, down 24# in a little over a month, and the scale is moving steadily down... I am taking all my vitamins, and supplements. I aim for 64oz of water a day... I explained to her.. I am NOT a grazer.. never have been.. but if my tummy is GROWLING, and I feel HUNGRY, then I eat a snack, usually a piece of string cheese, or 2 oz of meat. No junk food, I only drink water... I am work out almost daily. I have a very busy job.. so not really sure what to take away from that phone call. I asked her if she had any ideas on "WHAT" to eat.. she just said, "sounds like your eating ok".. Not very happy with the nut I got for my post op. I am NOT a chef.. I see some of the "food and menu" posts.. I GET that most people are farther out, and probably have a wider variety going. But I dont have the ROOM for anything more than 2 oz pf protein at a time.. so limited choices. ANd if I choose veggies, or anything other than strict protein.. I lose my protein grams for the day. I just wanted her to give me more guidance, but it seems that she was just doing a generic check in. Oh well.. at least I knwo SOMEONE on here might have a better response. I am getting really sick of eating yogurt, cheese and meat EVERYday. I am thinking of adding a protein shake JUST so I can vary up the menu.

poet_kelly
on 5/21/14 8:58 pm - OH

I eat six or seven times a day, most days.

In the early days, all you'll have room for is protein.  That will change in the future.

If you feel your nutritionist isn't helpful, you might want to consult a registered dietician. A RD has a degree in nutrition and is licensed by the state. Nutritionists don't have to have a degree, although they might, and don't have to be licensed.  So you may be seeing someone that is not very qualified to be advising you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 5/21/14 10:07 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I eat every couple of hours, trying to focus on something of protein value and 2-3 substantial meals.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 5/21/14 10:12 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You will be post-op for the rest of your life :D

I eat three small protein forward meals a day, plus a shake. My meals are 2-4 ounces each, depending on the food. My shake is 8 ounces and around 30g of protein. 

My surgeon's plan is three meals with no liquid calories, but I don't reach my protein goal without the daily shake, and I don't want to work at making my meals larger in order to do so at this point. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

bubbylucy
on 5/21/14 11:31 pm - Raleigh, NC

I eat every 4 hours through the day. I do much much better if I do not let myself get that hungry feeling.

Audra

MrsD68
on 5/22/14 12:21 am

Thank you guys so much for the reassurance... She made me feel like I was going to be some big FAIL at this. SHe actually told me to TRY to eat ONLY 3 times a day. I was like are you KIDDING me?? 6 oz of food for the ENTIRE day??? That would be about 300 calories.. But I am, going to work on the menu thing, and get some food ideas this weekend when I am off. I seen someone posted about a cauliflower crust pizza.. just something for the future.

jastypes
on 5/22/14 3:45 am - Croydon, PA

I eat 6 small meals every day.  I love my food plan, which I worked out with my surgeon's dietician.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

MsBatt
on 5/26/14 4:41 am

You can make a high-protein pizza crust using shredded mozzarella and eggs, and you can add spices too.

I eat about every three hours. Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night and eat. My weight bounces up and down by about five pounds, and it's been this way since I was about 18 months post-op.

MrsD68
on 5/26/14 5:07 am

Thank you for the idea!!

dreamer56
on 5/22/14 4:54 am - Vienna, Australia

I eat every time I want but small portions. I try to eat protein. I like eggs and chicken breasts, they are full of lean protein that is very good for body. and BTW proteins make me feel full for a long time.

Most Active