Loose skin and

TinaInTexas
on 11/14/14 9:05 am

Highest weight was 323, I am 5'8, now down to 293 ( can't remember how to update my tracker ) .... how many people had issues with loose skin when you lost your weight. My doctor said that everyone grows more skin as they gain weight .. not just stretches ...

Would love your input... thanks  Tina

Gwen M.
on 11/14/14 9:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I have loose skin, but I wouldn't say that I have issues with it.  It's just.. there.  Chances are you'll have it too - skin, once damaged with stretch marks, is basically "broken" and it won't bounce no matter what exercise, creams, or potions you use.  If the loose skin will bother you, it's best to start thinking about your plastic surgery savings fund now.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 11/14/14 10:49 am

Genetics, age, and how long you have been overweight will be the biggest factors in determining how much loose skin you will have. Rate of loss, exercise, creams, magic potions have little effect. If you have ever been in a large group of people who have had weight loss surgery, look around. The majority of us seem to have it to some degree.

I am 5'7" and 48 years old. I have gone from 340 to 140. I had a ton of loose skin. Most I had removed with plastic surgery. I have made peace with what is left (if I ever win the lottery it will also be removed, but I do not worry about it anymore).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

TinaInTexas
on 12/2/14 9:22 am

You look great, I need to get into some serious weight lifting as I HATE cardio, but my doctor said I should be doing at least 60 min a day... I need to ask him if that has to be all at once or does it count all through the day .... 

Racewalker48
on 11/14/14 11:17 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I am 10 months out and have loose skin, but haven't decided what I plan to do about it.  It's also too early for me to even consider plastics, since my weight has not stabilized.   I was a lightweight (232 lbs, BMI 36, 5'8"), so didn't know what to expect with regard to loose skin, and quite frankly didn't care at the time I had surgery.  Most of my flabbiness is on my thighs and abdomen. My arms were huge, but the skin seemed to snap back more than in any other place once I lost weight.  I can see areas where the skin as stretched (stretch marks on thighs), and where the skin has grown (no stretch marks, just loose skin on abdomen).   I had no idea until reading this forum that you can actually grow skin to accommodate weight gain, but it makes sense to me now.  

TinaInTexas
on 11/16/14 4:26 am

My doctor told me about growing the skin and thanks to everyone for the feedback !

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/14/14 11:34 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

My bariatric team warned us in the first ED class about loose skin and hair loss, I've taken the advice of many posters and started saving for plastics if I should want or need them after surgery and insurance doesn't cover it. If I don't want, need or insurance covers it, well then I'll get a crossfire in screaming ruby red. 

Valerie G.
on 11/14/14 11:53 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have loose skin after losing 145 lbs.  Lycra shapers make me feel confident until one day I might afford plastic surgery.  

One piece of advice is to not fall victim to snake oil salesmen.  There is no cream, lotion, potion or exercise that will tighten loose skin after the damage is done.  Youth, genetics and luck are your main variables here.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Bette B.
on 11/15/14 10:44 am

Let's not forget my FAVORITE lie: that you can get free plastic surgery if you donate your excess skin to burn patients. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

TinaInTexas
on 12/2/14 9:19 am

Now that one I had not heard but glad you said it ! 

Most Active