Protein intake?

Jazloseit
on 1/4/15 5:40 pm

Getting back to the gym grind and this time I want to do it right. Unlike the other times where I wouldn't eat and gym it for 2.5hrs.

can I get some protein intake tips? Like how much protein a day? How? What foods? 

food schedule maybe? 

Anything would help! 

Highest weight: 240

Before surgery: 228

current: 164

goal: 135-140

STB
on 1/5/15 12:20 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I track all my food and exercise. I start every day with a homemade protein shake - 1 cup light Greek Yoplait yogurt, 1 cup water, 1 scoop protein powder (Zero Carb Isopure), Truvia. I blend it for just a bit to limit the air in it and then pour it over ice. This has 38 grams of protein. I was told 60 - 80 grams of protein per day and under 50 grams of carbs per day. High protein foods include nuts, cheese, string cheese, deli turkey or chicken are a good snack, obviously chicken, fish and turkey for meals. Tuna fish with low fat mayo. I eat breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack and supper. Treats are a cup of hot tea with milk and Truvia or no sugar added hot coco with light whipped cream but that is only once a week or less. If I need crunch I will have a half a pack of the 100 cal snack packs of pretzels but only if I can have them and keep my carbs under 50 grams/day. I will also bake a chicken breast or thigh with 1/2 c of tomato sauce (under 7 gms of sugar) and top with cheese. I bake it covered. I will make turkey meatballs as well. Eggs  have protein and once again you can melt cheese on them. 42 - 60 ounces of fluids/water per day and bariactric vitamins. Hope this helps.

SHARON  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/5/15 12:39 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Sorry to ask but are you a girl or guy? I can't tell by your post, usually guys have a higher protein requirement than girls. Also what type of surgery did you have? Those who have had a malabsorption surgery versus those who had a restriction only type of surgery usually need more protein since they're not absorbing as much.

Do you still stay in contact with your dr/nutritionist? They can probably give you better answers since they take into account where you're at since surgery. 

Since I'm a female & I had the vsg & I'm still in weight loss mode, my nutritionist said to aim for 80 grams of protein & mentioned that other people go as high as a hundred. I get my protein from a combo of protein shakes, mostly Chike coffee, I really luv that stuff! The rest is from dense protein like beef, chicken & fish, also eat cheese for snacks.

Food schedule? Hmm doesn't work for me, I work a rotating 12 hour shift, so my schedule is all over the place. Uusually I start the day with the Chike coffee & start drinking water since it's all liquid, after the first 46oz, then have dense protein, wait an hour, work on water again, then have a snack, wait a half hour, water again, then dense protein with a snack, wait an hour, water again, go home have a meal. That's how its been more or less.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 1/5/15 1:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I do all of my exercise in the morning - if I'm doing less than an hour, I tend to not eat anything pre-workout.  If I'm doing more than an hour, I eat breakfast (which is a protein shake for me) before working out.  

My plan has me eating three meals a day with no snacks.  I do over 10 hours of exercise a week and, so far, I haven't had an issue with this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 1/5/15 2:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Jazmine - most women should get anywhere from 64-80 grams of protein per day.  That's for anyone who isn't malabsorping (I have no clue about those levels!).  I'm not sure which surgery you had so here's a typical day when I was in weight-loss mode: 

B - 1 egg w/1 T. cheese; protein shake on way to work (always 30-60 minutes after brekkie) 

S - greek yogurt w/chia seeds 

L - 2-3 oz. protein, bite or two of veggies 

S - string cheese and almonds - or - jerky - or - peanut butter w/celery

D - 2-3 oz. protein, bite or two of veggies 

S - (if needed to meet protein goal) babybel cheese, hardboiled egg or extra protein shake

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active