Hello Everyone New Sleever

Faith70
on 1/3/15 3:12 am

Hey Advice on anything you have heard is good to bring to the hospital. Heating pad, pillows ect. Any Advice is Helpful. I will be Sleeved the 9th of Jan and will be traveling alone. I may come in a day or two early to take advantage of the trip . Any one else coming early and would like to meet up ?

Thanks Sharon 

Kathy S.
on 1/3/15 4:23 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your surgery date!  

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

If you have not done so already, please post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

thefuture2015
on 1/3/15 4:43 am

Hi All..

I am in the process of doing my research regarding the "sleeve".  I have a question- If I am a compulsive overeater will I continue to eat when not really hungry and spend a lot of my time being sick ??? I have lost and gained a million times and have about 50lbs to loose. I am 60 years old and tired of doing this up and down and killing myself at the gym.  Any thoughts or commets are welcome

Rae

STB
on 1/3/15 5:46 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I am five months post op RYN so not sure how to answer your question. I don't necessarily want to eat large amounts of food anymore - I am satisfied with what I eat typically don't get hungry. Having said this, sometimes I do crave things that I know I shouldn't have and have to work at not eating them. Folks can "undo" the surgery in terms of gaining back what they lose so I think your mind set as well as a good support system is essential to success.

SHARON  

thefuture2015
on 1/3/15 10:28 am

thank you for your feedback.. I am just starting the process and am very uncertain.. I have about 50 lbs to loose and not sure I will be able to do it due to sugar and craving that never seem to stop.. which concerns me.. I am seeing the therapist for the first timet this week.. what is the RYN ? 

Gwen M.
on 1/3/15 5:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist?  If not, I really recommend that you add one to your team to address the compulsive overeating issues.  All the surgery in the world won't fix our heads - so that's a pretty important thing to address on its own.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

STB
on 1/3/15 5:54 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I wouldn't bring much. I spent my time sleeping or walking the halls. I wore loose sweats and a tee to the hospital that I also wore home. I also wore slip on shoes so I could get them on and off easily at the hospital to go for walks - not a sandal but a canvas shoe. I'm a reader but was leery of bringing my IPad as there was no way to lock it up so I brought a couple of magazines and that was more than enough. I brought a nightgown but never wore it - johnnies the whole time and they gave me one to put on backwards for a robe. I have heard others say chapstick and a pillow for the ride home but I was fine without either. I have a high pain tolerance. They provided a toothbrush and toothpaste. I brought my own hair brush. If you have long hair you may want something to put your hair up with. You say you are traveling alone. I hope you have made arrangements to get home with help. I don't think I could have driven. I live about 30 minutes from the hospital and had RYN. Good luck! Let us know how you make out!  

SHARON  

Faith70
on 1/3/15 7:47 am

Thanks for the advice . I will be flying in from Florida .I will be making sure I have some type of pain meds to go ? Do they do that ? Hopefully enough for my flight.

STB
on 1/3/15 8:31 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I would call Monday and ask. I think you need to be off narcotics for 24 hours prior to discharge but not sure. That does not preclude a prescription for pain med to take with you. Some hospitals have arrangements with local pharmacies to fill the prescription so you should do that if you can. You don't want to be sitting in pharmacy waiting for a refill. I would also contact the airline about assistance so you don't have to trek the airport. They can have a porter meet you with a wheelchair at departures and bring you right to your flight. I would also ask for a seat in the very front where you will have more room to stretch your legs and move a bit. How long is the flight? Let me know how you make out once you feel up to it.

SHARON  

hollykim
on 1/3/15 5:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 3, 2015 at 11:12 AM Pacific Time, Faith70 wrote:

Hey Advice on anything you have heard is good to bring to the hospital. Heating pad, pillows ect. Any Advice is Helpful. I will be Sleeved the 9th of Jan and will be traveling alone. I may come in a day or two early to take advantage of the trip . Any one else coming early and would like to meet up ?

Thanks Sharon 

you might post this on the Mexico forum ,also.

Most Active