Recurring Hernias?

Ruth S.
on 3/19/15 9:01 am - Orlando, FL

Anyone having recurring hernias?  I had my original surgery 10 years ago.  A revision 3-4 years ago.  I had a hernia develop a 1yr and half and had to wait since I had no insurance.  I had that surgery June 2014.  It was 3 small ones which he put together as one big one and had to open me up.  7 Months later I developed another one and I had it 3 weeks ago.  In the midst of all that I've always constipation instead of diarrhea which is what I'm supposed to have since I have shorter bowels!! Nope..constant constipation. ...Ive had medicinal "bombs" to move things (luctalose, castor oil and magnesium citrate - one after another) and minimal reaction.  Well, I've been recovering from this lastest hernia when I noticed that in my pelvic area I have a bulge.  I wasn't happy because it's protruding though he said it's just swelling and also thought it was a seroma (fluid collection)...I do have a seroma (which he didn't detect) in my upper abdomen but the bulge in my pelvic was missed by the radiologist doing a new CT and my primary dr didn't catch it either.  This is ALL frustrating to say the least.   One more visit to this surgeon and I'm off to a new one..I can't take it any more!! Augh!!

Ruth S.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/19/15 9:29 am - OH

Most people have more trouble wth constipation than with diarrhea even with a bypass, so I'm not really sure why you believe you should be having diarrhea.  Much of that is determined by what you eat.

I truly don't mean this to be insulting, but are you following the post-op restrictions on exercise and lifting? If not, that can cause recurring hernias.  Are all of these incisional hernias or something else?  Some surgeons use mesh to ensure there won't be a recurrence of a hernia, but scar tissue can form on the mesh and cause other problems (which can also require additional surgery).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ruth S.
on 3/19/15 9:58 am - Orlando, FL

The reason I say "diarrhea" is because I'm short (either 150cm or 75 cm) which is bypassed so the consistency should be diarhea as with the short bowel syndrome plus the dr said I would have that vs constipation.  The constipation has been there since my revision which is almost 3 years.  The hernia are just happening...I'm a Admin. and I do no heavy lifting that would cause the hernias which are all in the bowel area.  Neither the one in June 2014 nor 3 weeks ago.  The one I assume is pelvic in nature just occurred or may have occured from this surgery because it was NOT there before I had this surgery 3 weeks ago.  The dr has checked on adhessions and scar tissue and per him he said there are no or should be none...smh....

Ruth S.
JB1114
on 3/19/15 11:41 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I had a hernia before surgery and had it repaired.  After surgery I developed another one and had it repaired in 2012.  I'm seeing another bulge in the same place as the last one and wonder if it is a hernia.  I've never had any pain with the hernias.

I've had problems with constipation all my life, but it was so much worse after WLS surgery.  I have had less problems the last couple of years by using Fiber Gummies (4-6/day), Miralax a few times a week and a fiber powder I add to my shakes.  Someone posted on OH they take Sennekot at bedtime so I have purchased a bottle and will try that. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

mother1991
on 4/1/15 8:41 am, edited 4/1/15 8:55 am - Atascadero, CA

You keep have recurring hernias, have you thought to see a geneticist for something called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome or other connective tissue disorder?  It is a collegan and connective tissue disorder that is genetic.  Hernias are more common with disorder and also affects the Gi system skin blood vessels ect.  I was diagnosed with it in 2010.  here is couple of links that may help and one of the links is a pdf file entitled so you think you have eds?

Info on Ehlers danlos Syndrome http://www.ednf.org/what-eds

So You Think You May Have EDS? http://www.ednf.org/images/stories/leaflets/soyouthinkyoumighthaveeds.pdf

If have more info you would like feel free to ask

Most Active