Will I be able to do this?

Jenn77p
on 7/7/15 3:50 pm
RNY on 08/07/15

Hi everyone!!  New to the site. My RNY is scheduled for Aug 7 2014. I have already cut the soda. No soda for three months. I am trying so hard to decrease carbs, sweets, McDonald's but I'm having a difficult time. Some days I wonder if I'm going to be able to do this?  I want to succeed 100%.  I have to do this surgery to save me from my comorbidities. Has anyone experienced a difficult time cutting carbs prior to surgery?  Is it easier once we have the "tool" to help?  I already cancelled surgery once (three years ago). I have to do this for me!!!!  Any advice please? 

Jenn 77 p

Poodlemac
on 7/7/15 4:10 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Once you start eating clean, you'll realize how crappy that junk food makes you feel. I would literally rather starve than eat at McDonald's. But I've always felt like that. Nothing tastes as good as feeling good about yourself for a change.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/7/15 5:09 pm - OH

Yes, it will be easier after surgery.  It isn't a magic fix, though, for years of poor food choices and bad habits, and you probably will struggle for a while.

beign able to eat so very little DOES help, though.  Do the best you can now, and give it a good, honest effort, but don't beat yourself up over it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sor09
on 7/7/15 5:16 pm

The honest truth! The "tool" a lone will not get you where you want to be or it is not a device solely for weight loss. You will need a mind set of coping skills, and begin before the surgery on what it really is going to take to win the war against obesity. Learn as much as you can. There are free sites and free information that will help you understand what's gonna happen and to be prepared both physically and mentally. The mental part is the biggest, since it is what got all of us here working towards better quality of life. Even if you only learn one tiny thing from them, you will have learned something than with out them, so go to the all classes, and do the home work. Surgery ok, you will loose while your body is recovering, that is serious, and if you do not understand the real deal you could hurt yourself. Not sure if you are journaling but it helps to keep you on track and honest about WLS and what you are trying to achieve. Think of a three legged stool, with one of those legs gone, the seat does not work. To make it through this you will need knowledge and education, understanding what you are eating now and work on eating cleaner. Drinking at least 64 ounces of water daily, vitamins for bariatric people, physical activities at least 30 minutes daily, and yes house work counts for exercising too. The more you know the better your results will be. I am RNY since Feb-27-2013. Best (really) wishes.

Jenn77p
on 7/7/15 5:58 pm
RNY on 08/07/15

Thanks for all the advice. Tomorrow is a new day with a new mind. I have been journaling. I have learned that my trigger foods are pastas. So I am done with pasta. I have also listed 10 things that make me happy. My plan is to do one of those 10 things when I feel the need to eat carbs. I have been eating better than I was. However I have a lot of room for improvement. You all have inspired me to eat clean from now on. Thank you!!  

Jenn 77 p

sor09
on 7/7/15 7:21 pm

Hello again... forgot to tell you. You Are Worth it! Have a wonderful journey, and it's not a race but a new road to quality of life, just waiting for you.

Lovely_Z
on 7/7/15 10:43 pm

Jenn you are definitely not alone, I've been struggling with this for quite some time myself. Everyone was cooking BBQ and eating potato salad...I only had a protein shake in my hand.i felt like pulling my hair out! On the way home all I could think about is all the foods that got me to be insecure a me to obesity. I passed like all of my fast food spots, so I went out and bought the groceries from my doctors list and stayed home! This might seem too extreme but it worked for me. 

Just know that you're not alone because it's hard for me too and I pray this brings you comfort.

Lovely_Z
on 7/7/15 10:52 pm

Oh and did I mention that McDonalds isn't my only vice...I had to say goodbye to all of them. TacoBell, Popeyes, Burger King, Captain D's, IHOP, Yasins, Cookout Grill, Sonic, Dunkin Donuts... Smh and YEA these spots all have fairly decent things on the menu but I can't be trusted right now. So in a few days I will have the tool to be stronger and soon so will you! Stay strong 

Doingrightin2015
on 7/8/15 2:48 am
RNY on 03/10/15

You can do whatever you want to do! I love sweets (carbs) one of the reasons I went with R&Y because I might have an issue with sweets (dumping) so far,  I don't want to even test it, I don't want to take the chance to dump! I do find it easier to say no to the bad stuff.

We camp every weekend and we just had a pig roast where we camp at over the weekend. OH, my the food that we had there. Was very proud of myself. I picked the health things we had on the table and left the bad carby things alone. My plate still had a lot on it. I ate very little and covered it over with another plate and took back to our camper and put in the fridge. Next day had another meal off the plate and then pitched it. I find it much easier with my tool to not over eat! Yah me!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

crystal M.
on 7/8/15 9:42 am - Joliet, IL

It might be easier than you think. 

Like you, I drank soda and ate fast food (I ate it every single day).  I would eat frozen pizzas and chips and cookies.  But I don't anymore.  I don't eat at fast food places at all anymore.  I stopped drinking soda almost 7 years ago.  It was hard at first....but I don't miss it at all. 

I drink tea now...instead soda.  Instead of fast food...I bring my lunch to work or I make my dinner.  Chips and cookies have been replaced with nuts and apples.  I really don't miss it at all

Most Active