Anyone over the age of 60?

gwenaj
on 8/17/15 6:12 am

Good morning!  I am a 62 year old lady, planning on Sleeve Surgery the end of October.  I'm just wondering if anyone is a little 'older' who has gone through this journey...  Don't know if there are any tips for someone like me...  Thanks so much :-)

HKT53
on 8/17/15 8:18 am - Toronto, Canada

62 is not old....I'm 62. I had gastric stapling in 1989 and twenty five years later on July 10...had a revision to RNY.  I'm doing great. I had to had the RNY because of issues with the sleeve. It was done differently 25 years. Ago and my stomach twisted and I was unable to eat any solids for two years. I'm refining my eating habits and happy and healthy. Not too late to teach this gal. All of us on the forum have lots of tips for you. Where would you like to start? What is your biggest concern right now? If you are worried if you have the strength to go through this...why I can tell you. Every day I am stronger and wiser. Now ask me how they used to do a sleeve 25 years ago compared to today's technology. Awesome!

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

gwenaj
on 8/17/15 9:11 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!  I don't think 62 is old, I just noticed a lot of younger people doing this procedure.  So glad to hear from some of my peers :-)  I am almost through the requirements to submit to insurance, only one meeting left.  I've done a lot of research and reading about this process.  I guess my biggest concern at this point is to prepare myself for the change in eating.  I'm concentrating on Protien right now...trying to learn what works for me.  The 'plan' for eating following surgery is a little scary to me...I'm hoping I can do it and not screw it up.  I'm a pretty tough cookie when it comes to being strong enough to handle things, but having people to talk to, offer advice, tips and encouragement is wonderful and so appreciated!!  Pleased feel free to share anything that may be helpful to me...I know I'll have lots of questions...  Thank you :-)

HKT53
on 8/18/15 2:37 am - Toronto, Canada

Preparing for new eating habits is an ongoing work in progress. Just when you read all you have to and think you got the plan down pat...some other interpretation comes into play. After surgery you have a tool in place that helps you with your new plan. A few days of liquids, followed by two weeks of full liquids (soups and protein drinks) and then graduate into puréed foods to minced foods. All the while not even feeling hungry. It is not hard. I find some things so entertaining. For example, read what you have to do every day when you get home from hospital. I read the booklet several times and came up with a different interpretation each time. My 39 yr old daughter read the booklet several times too...and was frustrated that she was getting it wrong. That's the funny thing, it's not wrong it's different timing but all the same protein intake in each day. That is also what is great about this site. So many willing to share. This week I have graduated to minced foods and chewing my food many many times so I don't feel uncomfortable. By the time u follow the rules of protein first and then vegetables. All the while not drinking when I am eating but drinking throughout the day...you would think there is no time to screw up. Well I sort of did. I visited my grand niece for her birthday. There was lots of stuff on the table. I didn't have anything except my water. I was good but everyone was pushing food onto me. After saying no at least 20 times, I started to feel nauceous. I did not eat but I threw up my protein drink that I had two hrs prior. Now I come back to table and I'm hungry...head hungry, emotion hungry whatever. I took a small piece of pizza and little by little chewed it very fine and ate it. I was not only amazed that I ate a piece of pizza but feeling guilty that it was not at all what I needed. There was no protein. How could I do that. I drank water the rest of the evening and called that small piece of pizza my snack. I have to be more diligent for the rest of the evening and for the next couple of days. I will be fine. The first slip since June and opti. Not bad at all. And we move on.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

gwenaj
on 8/18/15 8:56 am

Love your story and attitude, thank you for sharing.  It's so great talking to and hearing from you and people going through the same journey...   

Keep up the good work and have a wonderful day :-)

SandieMc49
on 8/17/15 10:59 am

Okay, so I was 59 when I had my gastric bypass and I'm 66 now.  Since that time I have zip-lined, white water rafted, and done lots of other active things I couldn't do before the surgery.  I'm a 36 year old in a 66 year olds body - lol!  That's my attitude and that's how I live my life. 

After my surgery, when I'd come on this site to see how other people were doing - my progress and experience was really no different from everyone elses.  My recovery mirrored theirs and I never really felt my age was a negative factor.

I think one of the main differences, however, is the decision to have plastic surgery or not.  If I was 20 years younger, I totally would go for it.  But, it doesn't really bother me all that much because it doesn't stop me from doing what I want to do.  And I've learned to be a very "creative dresser". 

Put the emphasis on the smile and go for it!  All the best to you.

Sandie

gwenaj
on 8/17/15 9:18 pm

Hi Sandie,

Thanks so much for your reply!!  Sounds like you are enjoying life, which is fabulous :-)  I don't think I would even consider plastic surgery, but I appreciate hearing your input.  So happy to hear your positive attitude with a big smile on your face...I hope to join you in your success!! 

Take good care...

gbsinsatx
on 8/17/15 11:06 am - San Antonio, TX

Please see my profile page if interested. I detail my RNY experience there.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

bac527
on 8/17/15 11:52 am

I was 62 when I had my RNY and I'm so glad I did it. I've had no problems. I have so much more energy, and I don't need to take the diabetic and cholesterol medications I was on pre-op.

Good luck on your journey!

gwenaj
on 8/17/15 12:05 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!!  I appreciate hearing from anyone, especially one of my generation :-)  Congratulations on your success and best wishes for your continued journey!!  You've given me encouragement and I'm so happy for you that you've had no problems, wonderful to hear :-)

Take good care...

Most Active