Absolutely no restriction...I dont' thing surgery worked

Donna L.
on 12/5/15 1:37 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I felt absolutely no restriction until five months out, and even now I don't have restriction massively aside from eating meat protein. Otherwise, I just get sick/nauseous/throw up randomly.  All of us have a different experience.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

nakitah1
on 12/5/15 1:44 pm

Thank you, that was helpful

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/5/15 1:51 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Use the search feature, its the magnifying glass icon on the upper right hand side & input the word restriction or any variation & you'll see there were plenty of people who felt as you did & its totally normal. Nerves have been cut, you won't feel much of anything right now.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

nakitah1
on 12/5/15 1:54 pm

That's a good idea, thank you

MickeyDee
on 12/7/15 6:20 am

You need to read more:  this site has a lot of posts saying people just don't feel hungry,

Nothing is wrong with you, or your surgery, or your recovery.  If your surgeon didn't give you amounts to eat, then follow the "runny nose" rule and STOP EATING.

Be kind to your new little pouch.  I can tell you from personal experience that there is nothing more unpleasant than the foamies, which is when you overload your pouch and have to let it come back up to relieve the discomfort.

Don't eat more than 1/2 cup at a time.  Hell, when I first was post-op I was lucky to get 1/4 cup of pureed soup into myself.

If you didn't ask we wouldn't have told you.  Just because you don't want to listen it's not OUR problem.      

peachpie
on 12/5/15 10:28 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

This is a classic case of all because you can it doesn't make it a good idea. I left the hospital with strict instructions from my team to not eat any more than 2oz once I got to purees.

You should limits you portions because not knowing a true serving size is is what got us obese in the first pace. Remember the goal is to meet protein goals, and you can do that eating 2-4oz a few times a day... 2 cups is just excess. 

nakitah1
on 12/6/15 4:23 am

I didn't ask about portion control.  My written instructions are to eat until I fell full.

suzyq584
on 12/9/15 11:09 am

Those instructions are silly since you can't "feel" full right now.  Not your fault...some surgeons just don't give the best advice. 

My advice, follow what many are saying here.  Measure your food and only eat 2oz at a time at your stage.  Once you start eating dense protein and eat it first AND your nerves have healed up, you will feel the restriction. 

I had the same concerns as you but since I started eating dense protein and gave myself time to heal, I feel the restriction.  It's hard but just be patient...you'll get there too. 

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

kathkeb
on 12/5/15 12:15 pm

As others have said,your nerve endings were cut, you will not have normal sensation for a while.

You really need to eat by instruction ... It would be better to eat 1/2 cup more often than eat more at 1 sitting.

You should have some activities that distract you from eating and not even think about finding out how MUCH you can eat.

It would be better to focus on how LITTLE you need to eat.

Kath

hollykim
on 12/5/15 1:11 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

are you getting 64 oz of liquid a day? If u can eat 2 cups of chili you can get lots of fluid. Dehydration masquerades as hunger sometimes. leave your pouch quickly like liquids do. 

Also purreed food is much like liquids and will leave your pouch quickly. 

The reason you have lost only 5 pounds could be because you are eating too many calories. Do you know how many calories are in two cups of chili?

Most Active