30+ Day Stalls--What To Do?

Tish6918
on 2/20/16 11:48 am - Seattle, WA

Help! I'm about 6 months out and I'm experiencing my first major stall. For the past month or so, my weight has pretty much stayed between 271-274 pounds.  I'm not sure what I should do. Should I just wait it out? Eat more? Eat less? Do something else? I'd love to hear from other folks who experienced a stall that lasted a month or longer to learn what you did. Also, I'd love to hear how long your stall lasted. Thanks!

RNY on 9/17/15. High Weight: 375 / Surgery Weight: 330

Laura in Texas
on 2/20/16 11:52 am

What does a typical day of eating look like? Are you weighing/measuring your portions and tracking every bite? Are you taking your measurements? Sometimes we lose inches when we are not seeing any movement on the scale. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Tish6918
on 2/20/16 12:11 pm - Seattle, WA

Good questions. I'm not taking measurements of myself, though I clearly should.  As for food, it varies day-to-day of course, but here's a typical day:

Breakfast: 1/2 cottage cheese + a peach fruit cup + 20 grams of isopure protein

Lunch: An apple with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter *or* 1/2 to 1 cup of a homemade chicken soup or chili I make that's super rich in protein. 

Snack: Tangerines right now, but I've also had a slice of cheese, a dove chocolate (I know), a slice of meat, etc.

Dinner: 3 ounces of meatloaf with 1/2 cup of a sugarless tomato sauce with some veggies thrown in.  

In general, I make all of my meals and keep it to under 300 calories per meal. I do measure and prepare my food in advance.  

Again, any tips or advice others can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

RNY on 9/17/15. High Weight: 375 / Surgery Weight: 330

hollykim
on 2/20/16 2:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 20, 2016 at 8:11 PM Pacific Time, Tish6918 wrote:

Good questions. I'm not taking measurements of myself, though I clearly should.  As for food, it varies day-to-day of course, but here's a typical day:

Breakfast: 1/2 cottage cheese + a peach fruit cup + 20 grams of isopure protein

Lunch: An apple with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter *or* 1/2 to 1 cup of a homemade chicken soup or chili I make that's super rich in protein. 

Snack: Tangerines right now, but I've also had a slice of cheese, a dove chocolate (I know), a slice of meat, etc.

Dinner: 3 ounces of meatloaf with 1/2 cup of a sugarless tomato sauce with some veggies thrown in.  

In general, I make all of my meals and keep it to under 300 calories per meal. I do measure and prepare my food in advance.  

Again, any tips or advice others can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

you are eating a lot of sugar in the form of fruit. As long as your body has sugar to live on it will not burn your stored fat. Sugar is sugar to the body, doesn't matter if it comes from a tangerine or a snickers. 

A month with no weight loss means you have gone into maintenance because you are eating too many calories. Most ppl do best on 800 calls or less for continued weight loss with those calories coming from protein and non carbs vegeatables.

Maria27
on 2/20/16 4:10 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

You are eating too many carbs. I rarely eat more than 200 calories per meal and try to keep carbs to less than 50 per day. Fruit cups should be off of your menu entirely. I hope that peanut butter is all natural, but even it if is, I still suggest eating whole nuts instead. Whole nuts do a better job keeping you full. Tangerines should also be off your menu due to their high sugar content.

In general, the foods you are choosing are very soft, slider foods. I highly recommend eating more dense protein. You will likely find that dense protein makes you full faster so that you eat less volume per meal.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/22/16 12:30 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Ditch the fruit.  I didn't eat any for almost a year after surgery.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

acbbrown
on 2/20/16 12:18 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Usually a 30 + day stall means you are at a maintenance point calorie wise. You might want to use an app like Myfitnesspal to keep track of every bite and every calorie you consume so you can see what/where you can cut back to keep losing weight. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

chevtow41
on 2/20/16 3:10 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Cut out all those carb laden fruit and I bet you'll start moving again

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/20/16 4:15 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It looks like from your menu a couple of posts down is pretty carb heavy & your protein is coming from mostly slider foods, cottage cheese, chili, soup, protein drinks etc may have a lot of protein but it won't fill you up. I'd up the dense protein & cut back on the carbs.

As you work your way down you'll have to adjust your numbers. i.e calories, carbs, protein, etc, at a heavier weight you can eat more & lose weight, but after a certain weight you'll have to cut back to keep losing otherwise you end up n maintenance.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NYMom222
on 2/20/16 7:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I also think you are at the low end in terms of your protein grams. I know they say 60-80, but at 6 months out I would be shooting for 80g or more. Also don't forget fat. We need that too. Add some healthy fat and skip the carbs.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active