I'm So Upset

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/5/16 3:05 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I have been impatiently waiting for nearly 2 years to have my wls and probably have almost another year to go. I've been trying to be proactive by making healthier choices in my diet, adding regular exercise and getting all of the required medical tests done so everything is in place for the surgery.

I've been feeling so positive that my surgery is finally coming after secretly believing that it would never happen for me but I just got the medical tests results back and I'm devastated.

I have pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, mild sleep apnea and worst of all - kidney problems.

I know that the first 3 can be managed but I don't know about the kidney issues and I'm terrified that I will not be able to get the surgery as a result. I don't know what stage I'm at with my kidneys but I am scheduled to have an ultrasound soon to find out.

Has anyone here experienced this and was you surgery cancelled as a result?

Any insight would be appreciated.

I have invested my entire mind, body and soul into getting the surgery and if it doesn't happen I will be crushed.

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

Laura in Texas
on 3/5/16 3:50 pm

SeattleDeb had weight loss surgery so she would be healthy enough for a kidney transplant. I hope she sees your post. HERE is a post from her talking about her story. She is very inspirational.

Hang in there!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

seattledeb
on 3/6/16 2:08 am

Thanks for posting that link. To the original poster, I had WLS because I had renal disease and needed a kidney. My disease was a congenital kidney disease and actually the 200 pounds I lost helped improve my kidney function.

Your renal stuff may be a side effect of high bp or your diabetes. WLS can help make both of those things go in to remission.

It does not have to preclude surgery and might be a reason to have it sooner.  My kidneys were so bad I did have to some things differently after RnY surgery. I ate a little less protein and my vitamins needed to be adjusted. But it worked. I lost the weight. A month after surgery I was off 4 blood pressure meds. I got on the list and 2 1/2 years later I got the call and received a kidney.

Good luck to you. Feel free to message me anytime.

Deb

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/6/16 10:01 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I really appreciate it. I feel so much better after hearing it. You are such an inspiration!

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/6/16 10:06 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thank you the response Laura. Hearing from you and SeattleDeb has been wonderful. I really appreciate it and feel so much better.

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

ChristyO
on 3/5/16 4:56 pm
RNY on 02/01/16

3 months after I met my surgeon, I had the surgery, doing all the requirements .  

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Laura in Texas
on 3/5/16 5:20 pm

The OP is in Canada. The process is much different there.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Chanti_
on 3/6/16 1:40 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

It sounds to me like these health issues make you even more of a candidate for WLS then before.  The high blood pressure, sleep apnea and in most cases the pre diabetes can be resolved after having WLS..  If anything this should bump you up on the wait list.  

I haven't heard of anyone having to cancel surgery because of kidney issues, but to ease your mind why don't you call your doctor's office and ask.  You won't be able to rest easy until you know the answer from the horses mouth.  

Even if they want to wait on further testing you might ask specifically what is the criteria for exclusion from surgery.  How much renal function do they require in their patients to go ahead?  

Try not to stress too much over what you can't control.  Keep up with your healthy habits as this will help you after surgery as well as before.  

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/6/16 9:51 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thank you so much for this Chanti, it has really helped me to calm down. I will be speaking to my doc about it after I get the results back from the ultrasound.

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

RNY on 12/22/14

It's hard, but just hang on until you have all the tests results - I have my fingers crossed that things will work in your directions.  My friend had a cardiac issue come up pre-op.  It just meant that she needed the suggery even more, but she had a cardio surgeon on call in case she coded during surgery. She was fine and is still doing fine -18 months post WLS and down a bunch of weight.  Good luck to you!!

Sharon

Most Active