How did you choose your user name?

Gina 21 Years Out
on 3/2/18 5:39 am - Burleson, TX

It's hard to recall, but I THINK when I first joined OH, back in the Ice Ages, in 2001, we were instructed to use our first names...or maybe I had no imagination...probably the later...

I was Gina (Tx) for years and years...I'm one of those weird peeps who has never taken an "OH break"...you know...the ones who pop in, to pat themselves, on the back, every year or so, ut don't stick around, to give daily support, to others...

I switched to my current type of name a year or so ago, so people would know how far out I was (as in years post, not "far out" as in "groovy"), so they might THINK I know something. You don't get to be 15 years and counting without making a million MISTAKES, and having a lot to SHARE

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Nknerr
on 3/2/18 7:12 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I usually use either my name, Natalie, or NKnerr, which is first initial and last name, OR when I'm kind of leary of the site, I will use MickeyMoo, or MickeysMom, as Mickey is my furbaby Chihuahua! And...speaking of the devil, here he is to make an appearance. This was the day I brought him home from the rescue at 9 months old....back in March 2008

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Writergurl08
on 3/2/18 7:46 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I like to write, and I am female, and when I first thought up this username, I was 13 and it was kewl to spell things wrong. So...gurl instead of girl. It was my AOL screen name, email address (not one I use any longer), and now it's just one I use whenever a username is required, with varying numbers behind it.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Donna L.
on 3/2/18 5:38 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I always use variations on Meep or astronomy for user names. Because, well, I meep in real life and also like astronomy. I was Meep at first, but I also made a lot of friends here and so decided not to care about using my real name.

In my younger and more foolish days I read far too much Jane Austen and did my best to come up with outlandishly fake British snobby names. Thankfully, while I am still full of hubris, at least my hubris is far less dramatic and annoying. >.>

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Amy R.
on 3/2/18 7:19 pm

I love the British names, like Pippa and such. I also met someone named Bronwyn once and have loved that name ever since. It's probably Irish or Scottish and not British I guess.

Jane Austen is one of my favorites. I also love the Bronte "sisters" and D.H. Lawrence. I can't remember who wrote "The Mill on the Floss" but it is quite the piece of work too.

Sometimes I wonder if there is anything written today that will still be read a 100+ years from now. (don't hate. ;) I'm sure there is something. For the life of me I can't imagine what it will be though.)

on 3/2/18 7:06 pm
DS on 01/15/13

1976 was my favorite year. I turned 18!

NYMom222
on 3/3/18 7:42 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Me too! It was a very good year :)

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/2/18 8:47 pm
Well, a long time ago I had another name, but then there were surgery wars. It was ridiculous. RNYers telling DSers they were going to die of malnutrition in a pile of poo, DSers telling Lapband patients they were on a diet with a choke chain and that they'd regain all their weight only after having their Lapband damage their stomachs (which actually turned out to be true)...and don't get me started on the Rant and Rave board drama....people actually took the conflict into real life....stalking people and stuff like that.

So "beam me up" sounded like just about right.

Scott
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/18 6:20 am

Wow!!! I had my surgery in 2008 but only started looking here last March or so sounds terrible! Such a wonderful place for support now, I can't imagine. I wonder if a totally different group of people now for the most part? I wished I had found this support earlier.

Amy R.
on 3/3/18 7:15 am

A lot of the folks who had a particular surgery moved to their own space, separate from OH. So yes, a lot of those folks are gone. Then there were some particularly vicious forum nannies whose intent was to mold OH in their own image and that ran a lot of really good people off the boards here and into private groups or onto facebook.

So yes, in a way, it is a different mix of people.

Most Active