Best exercise for weight and body fat loss?

Willie H.
on 5/17/18 9:39 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Ok, you have an hour at the gym. Best exercise for losing weight and body fat? Weight training? Cardio? Circuit Training? Fitness class. Spinning? Swimming? What's the best overall training exercise?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/18 10:07 am, edited 5/17/18 3:07 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I do strength training on the weight machines, then cardio. Recently I have gone from walking to running in a sort of hiit style and I've been enjoying it, It's also increasing my endurance for running, which is my end goal! I do 30 seconds of a high burst of speed, which to some is probably a jog but for me who has never done it in their life it's a big strain, then I cool down for 30-40 seconds with a fast walk, then repeat it. I can only do about 10 minutes and it wipes me out, but I feel incredible once I cool down.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/17/18 10:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is no best exercise for weight loss. You can burn more calories and keep your metabolism up by staying active for more h ours of the day, rather than working out hard for a briefer period.

Plus, working out hard is going to result in short term weight gain. It's only water weight, but it's still weight gain.

Losing weight is far more dependent on cutting the calories we eat. Far more.

For maintaining or building muscle, only lifting heavy will do that.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kathy S.
on 5/17/18 10:48 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This is new in the gyms and I love it! Try it you may like it....

TRX Workout

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Gwen M.
on 5/17/18 11:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The best exercise is the exercise you'll do.

When it comes to weight/fat loss, diet is where it's at - not exercise.

Do the exercise you'll enjoy and feel compelled to keep doing. Here's a link to recommended exercise guidelines -- https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenorama
on 5/17/18 3:43 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Like others have said, any exercise is good exercise. If you want to gain muscle, lift heavy things lots of times. Be advised that it's extremely difficult to build muscle while eating at a deficit.

Grim mentioned water weight and I can definitely vouch for that. When you exert your muscles through whatever activity, you make micro tears that heal up (this is what increases muscle size), but in the interim, they fill with water and swell up. I had a hard leg day on Saturday and was very sore and my weight shot up about 5 lbs with no change in eating habits. It's taken a good 4 days for that to go away.

I've been working with a trainer for a bit over a year now and I haven't seen a lot of movement on the scale, but I know that my body shape has changed. I would say to take your measurements before you start. Measure things like your biceps, thighs, calves and neck in addition to your waist and chest. I bet you'll see changes there before you see them on the scale.

Keep in mind that losing weight is 80% what's on your plate. You have a leg up on everyone else with your surgery, so get down on it! :D

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/18 6:19 pm
Shannon S.
on 5/17/18 6:37 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

My NUT says a little of both. Cardio for your heart, to speed your metabolism, burn calories, lower the blood pressure.

Weight training again helps speed metabolism, and build muscle which can help reduce the effects of excess skin.

As a nurse, a physician would say if you only could do one, cardio has the best impact on health. You should also work at strengthening your heart through cardio before you get into strenuous weight training. There have been many of men who have had cardiovascular events while over doing it in weight training.

Willie H.
on 5/18/18 9:51 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks all. Planet Fitness has a good 30 minute circuit workout that incorporates both cardio and resistance training. I warm up by Walk/Jog on treadmill 15-20 mins. Then the PF 30 minute training circuit, and afterward t15 mins of stretch and body Calisthenics-crunches, planks, leg lifts, etc. Since I work in an office with a very large self-storage warehouse behind me I'm able to get in 10000-15000 steps on other days. Also golf ((I walk) once a week for 3-4 hours. Being over 50, and sitting all day Dr says it's good to have some sort of resistance training to prevent muscle atrophy. So as mentioned "all activity" is beneficial. Thanks.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Valerie G.
on 5/18/18 4:08 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My vote is swimming. You get cardio and muscle at the same time, and it's all over. You can target certain areas by binding your feet to work your chest and arms, or using a paddleboard for your legs.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active