When did you replenish your wardrobe? What did you do for the "in-between"...

Miss150
on 10/23/18 4:08 am

Writergurl08
on 10/22/18 4:06 am
RNY on 02/15/18

Thrift stores, clearance racks, even regular store sales. if I find a good deal I'll buy it even if it's too small for the time being. I have a plastic tote in my closet full of smaller clothes on standby. Whenever I feel I've lost some inches, I get it out and try things on again.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Miss150
on 10/22/18 4:51 am

Ditto Thredup.com-- also try Zulily (retail- but they have huge discounts--huge-- sales Also a good place to find name brand bras (Bali-Warners-etc). Look for little rocket icons inside the description boxes. This means they are available and ship immediately.

My biggest and expense was also in the bra/underwear department. For future reference, your cotton panties are going to make WONDERFUL DUST CLOTHS! Enjoy your weight loss journey. It is an exciting ride and wonderful learning experience!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

TripleAxel
on 10/22/18 12:15 pm
VSG on 09/20/18

Wow, congrats on your awesome weight loss!

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

Liz J.
on 10/22/18 6:36 am, edited 10/22/18 6:34 am
DS on 11/29/16

I hit up the clearance rack and bought stretch pants that would allow me to lose and wear a bit loose. I hit up Walmart, Target, and Ross. Plus I got some good stuff on Facebook market place. I found that I could skip sizes and that helped. I was luck that I had a big drop during the summer time.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

crqvingchange
on 10/22/18 9:00 am

Check out Value Village. They have weekly specials if you sign up and I have found some nice things there in the past. I got a gorgeous designer cashmere sweater for $3. That and Giant Tiger got me through the losing phase. Especially Value Village for winter coats.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Kathy S.
on 10/22/18 10:20 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I slowly packed clothes that were getting too big. Sadly I had gained and lost so much through out the years I had clothes in sizes 32 - 12. Once I went past 12 I just bought a couple of cheap pants and tops. I was not going to shop until I hit goal and then.... It was the most amazing experience of my life. I didn't have a clue what size I was and remember being in the changing room asking the sales person to keep getting me a smaller and smaller size. I was in shock and think I let out a WOOHOO when I realized just how small I was.

Check with your support groups and they usually have clothing exchanges and get a few basic to get you through

Bras, again I was good but as I got smaller I found I liked sleeping bras as they worked the best for me since I lost all of my breast.

Good Luck to you!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

SweetRide1
on 10/22/18 1:45 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Where exactly do you live? There's a Bariatric Buy and Sell FB Book operating out of the Hamilton area that I am a member of. Lots of clothes being posted for sale there at extremely reasonable prices.

I did Value Village, Salvation Army Thrift Stores, Style Encore, Walmart etc. I also traded clothes with a group of ladies that I meet up with once a month. We've traded clothes back and forth for the past year. Bras as well.

The bra thing has been a conundrum for many. I went from a 44D to a 34A (Actually, I measured today and I'm now a 32A). Yikes.

Anyway, I bought some Danskin Bras at Walmart in various sizes just to get me through. I understand that at this point that isn't an option but hopefully it will be at some point. Just after surgery I went to a Bra Store in Burlington. That's all they sell. They measured me and got me outfitted.

Today I went to Victoria's Secret for the first time in my life. I had a wonderful sales woman *****ally knew her stuff. She brought me all kinds of bras that would hide the skin at the sides and fit PERFECTLY. She was great!

It's a process, and a costly one at that I'm afraid.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Shannon S.
on 10/22/18 5:42 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Thrift stores, Walmart, and Amazon! Walmart has stepped up their game a bit in the clothing DEPT, and you can't beat their prices. Buy stuff that you can mix and match. Tops you can wear a little baggy with leggings. You can get different color leggings for 6 dollars at Walmart. Amazon also has super cheap stuff. I just got a shirt for $2. Many of the companies sell Asian sizes so read the reviews and it will help give you an idea of the size you need. The sizes seem huge. Don't be surprised if you have to buy a 4x or so. Even skinny Minnie's are in 1x/2x. Best of luck.

MichelleS61
on 10/23/18 7:12 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

Bras seem to be the big issue, I was lucky as I had 3 smaller ones tucked away in a box from when I lot weight 12 years ago, unfortunately they're now too big, and I'm not having much luck finding new ones yet, I guess I'm used to buying really nice ones, and the few cheap ones I've tried on have been yuck, but I hate to spend big bucks if they'll need to be replaced too. Still searching.

I was lucky in that I found a local thrift store that has a good selection, I've been donating my clothes and picking up the odd thing as needed, between that and Walmart and Giant Tiger I've been managing. I've been able to keep wearing some shirts/sweaters from that same period 12 years ago, and have been mainly getting bottoms as I worked in a dressier office back then and am now in a strictly jeans kind of place.

I've just managed to get a couple of coats as I mentioned that I needed new ones and as I work in construction we usually have that kind of stuff made to give away, so went through the leftover boxes and found 2 new coats and hey I don't really mind advertising the company I work for.

Good luck it's hard as you want to be able to show off your progress but don't want to spend a ton.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Most Active