New Member - Waiting for Surgery Date

HOWES
on 1/17/19 11:24 am
RNY on 03/24/19

Well. what can I say that hasn't been said on here before.

I am a 45 yr old Male, father of 5, although 2 or Step children but mine anyways. I always been on the heavy side although not quite as much as now. I am sad and embarrassed to say I weigh 420 pounds. Its even hard to type that number!

I have gone through the Clinic at North York and am currently awaiting the Surgeon Appointment to get my date. Looking forward to it! Actually cant wait.

This is my year (2019) I have lots of changes to do and WILL do everyone of them

Looking for support from people who have gone through this before.

Gwen M.
on 1/17/19 1:44 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome and congratulations on starting the process to get WLS!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Pure_Prairie
on 1/18/19 7:45 am
VSG on 01/10/19

Welcome!

We do have similar stories, nothing wrong with that. It is because we belong to a special group: humanity

I had a friend who always said of her blended family, "I count the ones I pay for." So we could edit that to say, "I count the ones I care for!"

I think when we begin to say out loud (type) what our numbers are, we become honest enough to stand in our truth, and that is the only way we can begin to change.

The wait, can be an exciting time as well. Begin now to set yourself goals that will set you up for post op success. Drinking water, reducing negative habits, walking, finding a therapist. One small step a week will help you stay excited, focused, and working towards your goal.

Ask lots of questions, everyone here is kind and understands the highs & lows, the defeats and triumphs. You have come to the right place.

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

PrivateCitizen
on 1/18/19 11:18 am

Prairie!! how are you, sent a msg before your surgery...is any news posted anywhere?

still can't figure out how to locate people easily who are 'friends'.

Love to hear how you are doing (sounds like great!)

>>>"I think when we begin to say out loud (type) what our numbers are, we become honest enough to stand in our truth,"

I see a councelor, I decided to give numbers, she tried not to raise her eyebrows. But she is skilled, and I found it freeing to talk numbers.

and what is funny is NO ONE wants to give that number when they are still CLOSE to that number...but get a good loss under their belt, and suddenly everyone hears the amazing loss they made happen.This is EVERYONE who ever went on a diet in my experience.

Pure_Prairie
on 1/18/19 4:48 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

Hey Sailor!

I have been using the blog feature, since we are friends you should be able to see it. Yes, doing better every day. My WLS doctor's office gave me all of my records so I can get them into the VA system. I cannot wait to see my VA PCP who has been such a jerk, a lean mean thinning machine!

I couldn't agree more no one wants to say their high weight until we have it far behind us, then it changes for sure. If you read the boards though so many have their weights posted now. Pretty impressive to see!

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

sapphireis
on 1/20/19 10:41 am

I've heard from a vet friend, VA docs are not all compassionate, lol.

Similar to orthopedic docs who say lose weight that will help ur knees and back, then come see me. Being overweight, I believe, we experience quite a bit of discrimination and each hit degrades the spirit. This discrimination is still an "acceptable" form of discrimination. People know the ethnic, religious, etc. jokes are not okay, but fat jokes are still acceptable in today's society.

I had a fractured vertebrae and was told to lose weight. No productive instructions or how to relieve pain, should I stay out of work?, is there a way to repair it.

i was embarrassed and I dragged myself into work in excruciating pain. I told my cardiologist if I was 100lbs, I would have been given treatment options, not dismissed with a wave of a hand and told to lose weight.

Kristi T.
on 1/18/19 10:50 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome Howes, you have come to the right place! Congratulations on taking your first steps towards WLS. Check out the menu threads to see what others are eating, to get great information and wonderful support. I wish you the best and hope to see you on OH to let us know how you are doing!

Kathy S.
on 1/18/19 11:06 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Let us know what we can do to help you to make this a great journey!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

sapphireis
on 1/20/19 10:23 am

Hi Howes,

don't be embarrassed, be proud you have made this decision and look forward. This is not a miracle or easy fix. I had my surgery on 1-16-19. I made it through the preop diet, after surgery nothing to eat or drink for a day diet and now getting to eat shakes and liquid diet, looking forward to adding soft foods to it.

Dont make are the same mistake I did, I came home after surgery and weighed myself thinking I had lost 7 lbs preop and I had to have lost a ton of weight from not eating, and clear liquids only for 2 days after surgery. I gained 10lbs from my preop weight. It is normal and just fluids, because they give IVs to u after.

i wish the dr. Told me that, because I was questioning why I put myself thru that.

i wish you the best and you need to live for your 5 children, so you can keep up with them and watch them grown.

this is not as easy as people think it is only a tool and still requires much work. I am still new to this, only been 4 days after surgery, but my blood sugar being controlled with 2 types of pills and haven't had such great numbers in a long time.

keep me posted on your journey, people have been great on this site.

PrivateCitizen
on 1/20/19 2:09 pm

The miracle of total revision of diabetes within HOURS of many bariatric surgeries is proof it is not a 'progressive unto death' as thousands of new diabetics are taught!

I can't think of a better, more powerful REWARD for the surgery risk than this.

This mechanism for no, or less meds for life is not yet understood by MDs and researchers, but apparently removing most of the stomach or part of digestive system does "something" that is permanent (for most- some do have issues but it may also be foods consumed and the factors combined)

But years/decades of better health? Wonderful.

The removal of the brain's connection to the ghrelin hormone via stomach loss is another not fully understood 'gift'. Not being hungry is that gift in my thinking.

I agree on not weighing often, very different advice on daily or weekly, monthly weighing...we each know which is really better for us. For me If I had saltier soup, or more volume foods, whatever it could be, I know weighing daily only depresses me from the desire to do all I can, weekly is great for me. Especially if I have the same experience of 'fat discrimination'-casually tossed at me by MDs who had 5 hours of nutrition training in 9 -12 years of education, and believe exactly what the FDA says with no doubt that I MUST be eating donuts all day. I LOATHE with all my being or thinking myself a victim of anything, I am a fighter, my inner strength has carried me thru a lifetime of all kinds or human insult, but it is still my responsibility to myself to overcome, I just don't engage, or tune out these people now.

Having great support and 'tough love' from those who have walked the same path is more helpful to success!

Most Active