small victories-questions

dreamer1234
on 3/6/19 4:33 am

First of all i do want to thank everyone for their feedback. it does mean alot to me. But here is why i am writing-I have an appt to go to today and wanted something nice to wear and all my pants, skirts were way too big. (I have lost 112 lbs in not quite 6 months)so i sent a friend out and she got me something from the clearance rack at Wal-mart. She got me a pr of black skinny stretch jeans in size 22. they fit perfect and i just wanted to cry. Pre-surgery i wore a size 32 jeans. So what do people do about the clothing issue? I live in a small town so my options are limited. So do you go on-line to get smaller ones or keep the big ones and get them altered? Then about the small victories, I am in a wheelchair but now i can actually see my toenails now and can trim them on my own, same thing with putting on and off slacks. I had a hip replacement 10 yrs ago and i can actually see the scar on hip for the first time. Oh yea my belly there are more wrinkles now than stretch marks. Yea! Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Laura in Texas
on 3/6/19 5:49 am

I went to thrift stores and got 3 new pairs of pants a month during my losing phase. I made sure they had belt loops and usually no pockets so I could take them in myself pretty easily up the sides. I drilled new holes in my belt and made them last longer that way.

What about dresses? They do not need to necessarily "fit" especially if they do not have a fitted waist.

What a great problem to have. You will figure it all out. Keep up the good work!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Liz J.
on 3/6/19 5:58 am
DS on 11/29/16

Walmart is pretty cheap and they have clearance stuff, that's how I shopped until I was getting close to goal. Now I'm super picky about clothes and found that Khols has a lot of stuff nicer than Walmart or Target for around the same price or less, plus I can shop at Macy's and hit the clearance rack. I have found tons of cute stuff for work and play. FYI, if you can get to a bigger town both have plus sizes.

Congrats on the NSV!

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Looch1126
on 3/8/19 10:59 am

You can try the online consignment-like stores Poshmark and/or ThredUP. I've gotten a lot of very gently used clothes on these sites quite inexpensively. It's worth a shot! Good luck!

RNY on 12/22/14

Like laura in Teces, I spend as little and clothing on the way down as possible. I also altered my own clothes, by taking the pants in down the side seams. That seemed to get a few more months of we're out of them, but after a hundred pounds lost, you would probably have to remake the clothes.

So I think it's on to Goodwill, even if you plan a trip to a further away big City and get enough clothes to last a few more months. I did not keep this clothes that were way too big ie2 in three axes, but I did keep my old mediums. If I had a special occasion, I tried to borrow something. I even needed new shoes.

Good luck and enjoy your new body and new health

Sharon

Amy R.
on 3/10/19 9:52 am

I also think Laura has it spot on and did/do the same things still.

If you're rural, consider online shopping. Just make sure you measure before you order. Choose a retailer with a solid reputation and a generous return policy. I think about 99% of the time we have an incorrect feel for our body size early out as we are losing quickly.

Amy R.
on 3/10/19 9:53 am

Also congrats on your loss!

Most Active