I am SO ready for change

KayLaw4170
on 5/31/19 8:12 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Hi everyone... I'm just feeling a bit down about myself right now and need some support. I feel more than ready mentally to get this surgery. I'm at my biggest weight I've ever been and I just feel so bad about myself. I'm dreading the summer because I hate the way I look in summer clothes and don't even get me started on a swimsuit!!

All my life I have struggled with my weight. I always felt out of place and awkward growing up. I wanted to be "normal". I just want to finally be happy and accept my body. I want to be healthy and have energy. I'm SO sick of my weight holding me back. More than anything I just want this surgery to be successful. I know I have to put in the work. It's not going to be easy...it hasn't been easy. Nothing good ever comes easy as they say!

Any advice or words of encouragement would be so appreciated...:)

TY,

-Kailey

White Dove
on 5/31/19 9:07 pm - Warren, OH

The surgery is not magic, but feels like it when you follow the pre-op diet properly and watch the weight disappear. For me, it was easy. I just followed the same diet I had been following for years, but after the surgery, the diet worked.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary Gee
on 6/1/19 9:41 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hang tough Kailey....

I know waiting is hard. Looks like you're scheduled or hoping to have surgery in October. What stage of pre-op are you at now?

I feel your pain, having to wait until October. Once we make the decision to have surgery, we want it to happen immediately! Keep your eye on the prize. The pre-op stage is tough and frustrating, but it prepares you mentally and physically for surgery and post-op life.

Keep reading and researching and posting.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

KayLaw4170
on 6/1/19 12:55 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Thank you Mary. I basically started this all March 4th. I'm not sticking to a hardcore healthy diet. It's been a struggle to stay on track. I have good days eating healthy and bad days! I get a lot of exercise being a mom to an energetic (and I mean VERY energetic) 3 year old boy. I take him on walks a lot and also use a stationary bike and I've signed up for exercise classes this summer. I'm also having to quit smoking for this surgery. I've been smoking since I was 16. A long time! But I want to get healthy more than anything. It's a good sacrifice. Thanks for the support and congrats in your weight loss! People think having WLS is an easy way out but it's a very hard thing to do and definitely takes hard work and dedication...little do "skinny people" know. :)

btm61
on 6/5/19 11:43 am

Kay,

If I may I'm going to take a bit of a different approach. I don't know if surgery is right for you or not, only you and a skilled provider, not one looking to make a buck, can determine that for yourself. It sounds to me like you are also suffering from a bit of Clinical Depression as well as your weight. I've been going through counseling for a couple of years now and that has played a major role in my weight loss. For me, I needed to learn how to develop healthy eating and exercise habits (yes, exercise should be part of the daily routine no matter how much you weigh) so I opted for a Medically Managed approach to weight loss. I meet monthly with a Medical Professional, in my case a LPN, a Nutritionist with a Masters Degree in Nutrition, and an Exercise Physiologist with a specialty in working with obese people. All of these factors have played a role in weight loss, now at over 100 pounds, but it isn't an overnight solution. The research that I've done shows that people who enroll in such programs have much better long-term success than even those who opt for surgery, though results will vary from individual to individual.

Our clinic won't perform surgery until you have lost a portion of your current weight, and in my opinion, no one should. I wish success for you no matter what you decide to do.

KayLaw4170
on 6/6/19 6:42 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

I just saw my nutritionist/doctor/psychologist today at the weight loss center and I feel a lot better about this whole thing. It's a process and I'm taking the steps to make some changes. The exercise I've been staying on track with and the diet they want me to follow is basically eating every 3-4 hours high protein lots of water. They are trying to "train" me in a way for the post surgery way I'll have to eat. I have until October to continue this journey and I also found I've lost 2 pounds and am on my way to losing more once I get my blender and protein shakes! Lol it's hard when you don't have a lot of money to buy these pricey health foods but I'm getting there. I know I will be successful in this, I have no doubt about that. I'm not saying it'll be easy or happen overnight but so many years of unhealthy habits is a work in progress.

I also agree with you that surgery is not for everyone. Some people think it's a quick fix and I guess they think they don't have to change much because they'll lose regardless. With VSG how much you lose is really on you and it's definitely on you to keep it off because your tummy CAN stretch back out. If I go through all this I'm making damn sure I am successful and take it seriously.

I'm on anti depressants and they don't seem to be helping 100 percent so I'm going to talk with my other primary care doctor next week to find an alternative medication. But lately I've been more positive and just force myself to exercise and eat healthy so it helps.

btm61
on 6/6/19 9:02 pm

KayLaw,

I don't know if your doctor's are three individuals or all three-in-one, for me personally I would have serious issues if it were all three in one, but I wish for you all the success that you want. You didn't mention how much overweight you are but I would worry about anyone who would recommend surgery unless you are more than 100 pounds overweight.

KayLaw4170
on 6/7/19 8:04 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Uh, no three different very qualified doctors. I'm going through a very good hospital and yes I'm 100 pounds over weight. Bmi 43....

NYMom222
on 6/1/19 5:48 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Take it one step at a time. You do not have to do it all at once. Follow whatever stages of weight loss protocol they give you presurgery. None of us would be here if we knew how to do this long term.

I would start with quitting smoking. That is tough, but you can do it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

KayLaw4170
on 6/6/19 6:43 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Thank you for your kind words:)

Most Active