Finally Fast Food For Me!

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/19 4:16 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

It's always such a challenge to find something for me to eat for breakfast during a road trip. I usually pack boiled eggs, protein bars or veggies and hummus but am getting bored with these foods and just want to get something that's fast food but healthy for me.

Yesterday I went thru the Tim Horton's Drive Thru for my tea and saw a new item on the menu. Omelette Bites! I ordered the Spinach and they were fantastic! I'm looking forward to my next road trip just so I can go thru the Drive Thru and order like a normal person!

Willie H.
on 9/16/19 8:24 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Great! What does a serving involve? How many 'bites'?

Greek yogurt w/ berries, and Oatmeal? Never heard of Tim Horton's before. But it appears that they try to have a more healthy menu, just gotta watch the servings!

You know I never understood why places like McDonald's, Wendy's, etc, do not have omelets, "grilled" chicken nuggets? Or Burgers wrapped in lettuce (5 Guys has that now) especially since they have the eggs, nuggets and the lettuce there already.I could see if it were not part of their inventory!? Dunkin Donuts has an omelette bowl I hear, I'm sure it's low-carb but don't know the caloric information. Funny how when an establishment does go to low-carb or even lower calories-they charge more!! How can you charge more by taking something away like the bread, or by giving you less like Subway does!??? Is it any wonder why there is an obesity epidemic in this country?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/19 10:06 am

Lol Willie and OP thanks for bringing up an interesting subject - fast food post BS...

of course all of us must occasionally break down and get a convenient cheap bite ( though honestly fast food isn't that cheap - you can pick n choose from a good Chinese buffet for the same price especially at lunch . )

This is my experience . I had to eat fast food a few years ago at least for lunch cuz I was renovating two homes 4 hour drive from home . And since I was I was motivating the male crew I was working with by working alongside them ( and supervising they actually worked ... Momma didn't raise a fool ) I also bought them lunch - dollar burgers basically, the occasional taco or chicken wrap .Ate exactly the same fare as my men .. supposedly seven hundred calories for two cheeseburgers and a diet soda .

Working HARD physical labor 12 hours a day I blew up like a balloon WITH post op malabsorption .

So I can't say one calorie equals another . Yes my other meals were largely from 7-11 and Arby's and grocery stores ( this was two GUT renovations so no stove no fridge no microwave often and a lot of air mattress sleepovers due to the distance ) but still .i always make healthy low-fat choices so .. either the fast food restaurants are lying about the cals or fat cals count a lot more towards weight gain.

One thing I did notice - those supposedly healthy " grilled" chicken options are just as caloric as fried ! I wondered about that ... the answer is they and chicken nuggets are made with " rib meat " ( translate fatty chicken skin) . These restaurants have two goals - addict you and make a profit - so they spend huge amounts developing addictive but deadly Frankenfoods from very cheap ingredients like chicken skin that nobody wants for anything else . I've noticed " rib meat " is also an ingredient in just about every low priced frozen chicken tender . If you make your own nuggets or breaded n baked chicken breasts they're 1/2 the calories and almost no fat . Doesn't take long - and it's cheaper !

Willie H.
on 9/16/19 11:55 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Good point - the rib meat. I've notice that also. And they cook probably even the so-called "grilled" in the same oil. Moral of story: Stay away from fast and packaged foods! Prepare beforehand at home.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/19 5:04 pm

I agree w U Willie ... I've never spied a real grill at a fast food place ... only fryers n salamanders ( toasters ) for the bread ... hmmm

that said once in a while I'll indulge in Arby's 1.49 sliders ... with 25 cent AU jus dipping liquid . Super filling Nd relatively better for you ( of course Arby's r hard 2 find but worth it ) .

They used to have a free lettuce/ tomato / onion / pimiento topping bar too bad they discontinued it it was a big draw . I think a few remain active in truck stops lol.

ScaleSkater
on 9/16/19 10:35 am

Horton's is a Canadian company. You can get egg bites here at Starbuck's and Chik Fil A has grilled bites.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

jmk187
on 9/16/19 3:37 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

Haven't tried the Tim Hortons ones but they sound alot like this frozen brand of egg bites they sell at Costco.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/19 4:57 pm

I tried these Fremont Fish Market Shrimp Power Bites from Aldis . 12 bites to a package - they boast they're loaded w superfoods - shrimp edamame spinach broccoli lime scallions cilantro n Siracha . Supposedly 2 servings per box only 2 grams fat per six bites 10 G protein 9 grams carbs .

Not too terrible tasting - 2 or 3 are plenty for a meal 4 me

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/19 5:53 am

But WHY eat " fast food ? " ... it takes the same amount of time to cook or bake what U desire . Much healthier fresher lower fat so much better .

What U NEED is a great dishwasher 2 get rid of the (very minor ) evidence . Society is evolving every day .

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/19 7:34 am
VSG on 03/21/19

Thank you for your replies.

FYI I do prepare the majority of my own food. I just was very happy to find a healthy fast food for those times that I'm away from home and cannot prepare and store my own food during road trips.

Most Active