"Saxenda" - New Injectable Weight Loss Med

Batwingsman
on 9/25/19 2:23 am - Garland, TX

Just got notice of this brand new med supposedly for weight loss. First time I'm seen an injectable form of weight loss drug, too (it comes in a "pen", similar to insulin for diabetics) .. Looks like this one works on the body's "hunger hormone" levels .. Curious as to just how well it works, as the ads mention the usual, "used in conjunction with reduced calorie diet & increased exercise " disclaimer (as well as a ton of "warnings"). I'd post the link here, but don't want to get in trouble with violating some posting rule about "ads". Interested people can go to the website with that same name and check it out there.

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

White Dove
on 9/25/19 7:17 am - Warren, OH

Some people on here have posted about taking it. If you go to Google and search obestityhelp saxenda, it will bring up links to where people have mentioned it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Batwingsman
on 9/25/19 7:52 am - Garland, TX

Wow .. I thought it was just approved earlier this month .. Guess I got that mixed up somehow ..

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

Vanvooh
on 9/25/19 8:43 am

I think its the same as the diabetes injectable drug Victoza but just in higher doses. I am currently on Victoza. I could see that working

TheWombat
on 9/25/19 1:24 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Saxenda and Victoza are both liraglutide.

My endocrinologist had me try victoza while I was waiting for WLS. She told me that most people only lose a little on it, but a few are "super-responders" and lose a lot. It causes some digestive distress early on, which for most people goes away. She said that if it was going to work for me, I should experience the reduction in apetite in a few days. Unfortunately, it had no effect on me, and the sulphur burps were unpleasant.

jmk187
on 9/25/19 4:00 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I too was on victoza for my diabetes...it had no effect on my appetite/weight.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Batwingsman
on 9/25/19 8:20 pm, edited 9/25/19 1:22 pm - Garland, TX

Are you guys sure they are the same exact med? I notice in the warnings for Saxenda they say not to take it, "if you are allergic to Victoza" .. I can't imagine a doc putting a patient on the very same drug that they already had an allergic reaction to, but maybe the co. is just trying to "CYA" .. It also says Saxenda is not to be used for the treatment of diabetes (i.e. it is a "weight loss" drug only), yet on the other hand I read where it is advised for purposes of weight loss in persons, "with weight-related medical conditions", which I would think would include diabetes ..

TheWombat
on 9/26/19 4:13 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Imagine this scenario: Patient has an allergic reaction to Victoza. Years later they consult another doctor, who suggests they try Saxenda. The patient doesn't think to mention that they are allergic to Victoza because they don't realise it's the same drug. So the warning in the leaflet is necessary.

Batwingsman
on 9/29/19 7:44 pm - Garland, TX

Ah k, makes sense now ..

Partlypollyanna
on 9/26/19 4:16 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Here's an article from 2014 that covers the drugs approval, it's goals and it's overlapping ingredients with Victoza.

https://diatribe.org/fda-approves-novo-nordisk-saxenda-treatment-chronic-weight-management

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active