Help :( I'm a statistic

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/20/19 10:49 am

Check this post by someone who had a 100 lbs regain and is working on losing that. So far she lost 30 lbs... it can be done.

https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/6042941/Update-3-mont hs-later/#50541399

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

notdamomma
on 12/23/19 7:16 am, edited 12/22/19 11:19 pm

I can so relate to your situation. I had surgery and lost weight, but I got caught up in life and wasn't focused on things like I should have been and regain happened. I too, feel like a failure. The ability to lose regain is much slower, but it can be done. We have to make a plan and follow it to a T in order to be successful. I was able to lose some of my regain on keto which kept me feeling full, but as soon as I stopped I put the weight back on. Good ole yoyo dieting at its best. I have decided to tackle things starting after the holidays and get back to basics whi*****ludes moving my ass daily instead of making excuses as to why I shouldn't. With the combination of meal planning, prepping and exercise I feel like I should be able to get this weight off. For me, it really is a mental issue, so I am trying to stay busy and focused on my meal plan for the day and not wing it as I had in the past. I joined obesity help soon after I had surgery, but didn't use it like I should, now I am trying to use it as much as I can to help. There are a lot of great people here that will answer questions and give you insight and it is so helpful when you don't have a support group or network that is readily available. I've been using the recipe page to help me with meal ideas and so far so good. I've enjoyed many that have been published and all are bariatric friendly and portion-controlled, so double thumbs up from me on that.

Just know you aren't alone, Laura. Many people here have battled regain and won. We can too!

jbskaggs
on 12/24/19 8:58 pm - holt, MO

Modern food is too fattening and too available.

We eat because it pleases us, self medicates, and eases our loneliness. Add to that almost everything we eat has been processed and added chemicals, plus the stress of modern life it is hard not to gain weight.

Essentially you are asking to reinvent your desires and break addictions to modern processed foods. In many areas you cannot even buy natural foods easily- or they cost more than the bad foods. And honestly most of Modern humans do not like raw natural foods- we are eating for the joy of eating. We are Epicureans possessed by the fallen god stomach.

I can personally go without eating better than eating healthy. I had to fast for 30 days before my surgery and that was easy. But eating healthy on a consistent basis- nope I emotionally hate healthy- I was raised on fried MCD's, twinkies, and cokes. When I see a meal of just salads or veggies I sometimes get angry and feel cheated. Exactly the same way if I do if I want companionship and my wife says no. It is a psychological thing of how we were raised and what we were taught was real and good and what was punishment.

I thought if I lost the weight my personality would change. But it did not change as much as I thought it would. I cannot and have not had any thing carbonated since 2010. And I still eat only a fraction of what I used to ten years back. But I still hate healthy fru fru foods. Also my health has been slipping with different issues and this makes me live in chronic pain and sadness.

To do what you want means you have to reinvent your desires. Somehow you must learn to love natural foods and crave them, while despising the bad. This is very very hard.

Laura in Texas
on 12/25/19 7:29 am

If you are not in counseling, you should look into it. It has helped me a lot.

I love junk food, but I love being healthy and wanting to remain healthy in my old age so I persist. I hope you find the motivation to do the same.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Willie H.
on 12/26/19 7:52 am
VSG on 08/26/14

......we are eating for the joy of eating."We are Epicureans possessed by the fallen god stomach"....

Epicurean creed: "Eat, drink, and be merry-for tomorrow we shall die"

Good post.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

kaneishia1
on 12/26/19 5:46 pm

Hi, just wanted to know how did your visit go?

sweetpotato1959
on 12/30/19 6:48 pm

Laura,

I have not gotten on the message board in a while. Your post compelled me to.

I had a hybrid weight loss surgery i the 1990's. Basically a RNY with specific modifications and additions.. I set my original goal at 160 lbs, i am within 8 pounds of that goal...once again...Most of the time I vary within 15 lbs. I have not had any of the surgeries to take off excess skin...weigh****chers allowed too many carbs for me.and do not allow enough protein.

You have already been given some very good advise by some very knowledgeable pro's. No one can make you reach your goals but YOU. ...no one can STOP you from reaching them but you.Your diet begins between your ears. You have to feel ful -filled. I think the best thing you can ask help for is : "getting the train back on the track" a weekly or bi- weekly weigh in and keep a diet log... complete carb , protein and water log... yes water. no colas no diet drinks. filtered water... not bottled- has flouride in it...flouride messes with metabolism and brain function.(other countries have outlawed it., used in Germany during WW2, -look it up.)..

It sounds like you lead a very busy life and will need to make some time for taking care of yourself into that schedule. Begin with 10 -15 minutes of walking around/ thru the house.. make it a time you do picking up and straightening... just get moving. repeat every 2-3 hours. this is in addition to your routine...you must start building muscle and getting your metabolism back up.

The last thing you should do before bed should be a light exercise. I prefer isometrics, can do them on t he bed at night. Even they will help keep your metabolism up during part of your sleep time.This info came from my dietician Oh so many years ago at the Obesity wellness center in Memphis. My Mom and I were part of a study by researchers. They did find there is a genetic component to obesity...is in the same genes that trigger carb metabolism and maintain blood sugar. It can be overcome.

Surgery is a helpful tool. You need to put it back to work.Think of it as having been on vacation. Prepare it and yourself. You can do this.It will take a huge effort, You ARE worth this effort.

Make sure the anti depressant you are taking is weight negative. there are some that will produce weight gain.

If you have a diet program that has worked for you in the past , use that.

You need to find what your diet /eating triggers are.. They are different for every one of us..caffeine can be for me if i over do it as can artificial sweetners. They are in every diet food. if a product says low fat it has added sugars... and low sugar foods often have artifical sweetners even if they have the one i can use.

Get very good at measuring your food. especially carb dense foods. eat meat first. then light carb foods/ green beans/ stewed tomatoes.. and just bite of anything high carb.( my personal is 1/2 - 3/4oz... potato or sweet peas, carrots ) If i cut my carbs out my blood sugar is too low. so I have had to learn what MY amounts are...that fill me, maintain My blood sugar levels.

.Think about these things... are you hungry when you first get up... ? if not does caffeine trigger eating.. It does for me...causes a insulin release in pancreas and lowers blood sugar causing hunger. If you are aware can mitigate this by using Lemon or orange water instead for part of your morning beverage. a slice of either n a glass of filtered water.

.. My best plan is close to 100 grams of protein daily and carbs below 50 consistently. as a daily.. goal with days of below 30 spaced thru the week. Use Natural foods as much as possible...little that is highly processed/ no mixes. unless a high protein-low carb shake... real food. Use Olive oil or coconut oil to cook in... it only takes a little. get rid of the rape seed/canola/corn/vegetable oil and the highly processed ones. Canola has chemicals designed to make cows fat.I used it for years and it worked.This" old Cow" no longer uses it..

The idea on turkey breast.. is a good one... same principal will work with any high density meat. I find it easier to alternate my meat with the family.. if they have lean pork i have that all day. if they have chicken ditto.

I also have consistent trouble with fats/ even accidental ingestion from a food i did not prepare...am hypoglycemic, and milk intolerant.. lactose free milk i use for coffee creamer... . the only sweetner i can currently use is stevia.

Lots of luck to you..It is a hard road but you have the tool kit. take it off vacation. Hang in there.DH

Most Active