Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer? not true with WLS

SuMari
on 9/28/20 3:28 pm

I saw something this weekend that really resonated with me. I can't remember it verbatim, so I am paraphrasing here...

Most of the scars on your heart were not left by enemies, but people who you thought had "your best interests in mind". It seems as if those in my inner circle are the most critical about my decisions to have WLS and have made things extremely eye opening of who I decide to tell. It's one thing to be supportive and still voice concerns and it's another to tear someone down.

I am taking this as another lesson learned because all I want to do is eat, but I also want to prove everyone wrong. Using it as motivation.

Using Tek's message about Journaling and adding: "first compliment received by someone who was against me having surgery"

White Dove
on 9/28/20 3:54 pm - Warren, OH

I told very few people at first and waited until they said something about how much weight I had lost. Then I would tell them I had had surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 9/29/20 6:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 28, 2020 at 10:28 PM Pacific Time, SuMari wrote:

I saw something this weekend that really resonated with me. I can't remember it verbatim, so I am paraphrasing here...

Most of the scars on your heart were not left by enemies, but people who you thought had "your best interests in mind". It seems as if those in my inner circle are the most critical about my decisions to have WLS and have made things extremely eye opening of who I decide to tell. It's one thing to be supportive and still voice concerns and it's another to tear someone down.

I am taking this as another lesson learned because all I want to do is eat, but I also want to prove everyone wrong. Using it as motivation.

Using Tek's message about Journaling and adding: "first compliment received by someone who was against me having surgery"

the best revenge is being successful in your weight loss and staying successful.

Dee_Caprini
on 9/29/20 10:37 am

I strongly agree. Take note and prove everyone wrong. I think you have a great mindset and are going to do great things.

HaleyyGirl
on 9/30/20 10:31 am

I was just advised of something similar and to be selective of who I tell about my interest in having surgery.

TJFox
on 10/1/20 8:55 am

Great post and resonates with me for sure!

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/20 2:25 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I never told ( and still don't tell ) family or " normies" about having WLS.

I discuss it as hiatal hernia surgery- which it was ( also) if I have to.

For me the WLS component actually wasn't as important as finally correcting a giant hiatal hernia birth defect that caused my insides to constantly burn and which I self-medicated with constant eating.

Please don't misunderstand me- I KNOW there IS an addiction component to my overeating ( and after WLS alcoholism) also which I dealt ( and deal) with in twelve step groups as well as by posting on and learning from others on this site.

But as far as I'm concerned there's only ( certain and permanent ) loss of respect and the opportunity ( and probability) of profound misunderstanding if I disclose my lifelong personal struggles with addiction.

I feel that discussing the surgery ( before and after ) is almost asking for permission or approval.

A normie hasn't BEGUN to be where I was before surgery- sick and tired of a lifetime of suffering from overweight and being unable, despite daily and many years long making it a priority in my life, and STILL despite all the effort and sacrifice being unable to lose the excess weight.

Sure they THINK they can relate because they dieted at one time or another - NOT !!

I jumped at the opportunity to surgically correct my issues because I'd tried EVERYTHING else and it hardly worked !

I knew as I aged my weight and health issues would only get worse and I definitely wasn't looking forward to how profoundly depressing that would be and how carrying excess weight would adversely affect literally every aspect of the good life I am ( still) focused on trying to build .

I can't begin to tell you how glad and relieved I am that at least my struggles with eating excess food are finally OVER.

Even the noncompliant WLS recipients are in a better place weight and health wise than they were before they "hit the reset button" mostly and they're certainly in a healthier place ( and at a lower weight ) than they would have been had they not chosen to have this lifesaving surgery .

SuMari
on 10/8/20 12:53 pm

Veggiewoman, Thank you for being honest about your addictions. Really opens my eyes to the whole process and coping with things that may be an issue once food is no longer available for comfort.

Most Active