Did you tell your friends and family you had surgery?

LeonaCR
on 7/21/21 6:06 am

Janet P.
on 7/18/21 3:58 am

I told everyone. I've always been very vocal about the benefits of weight loss surgery and the different types of surgeries. If anyone pushed back I just simply didn't care and push back harder. It was my decision and it was the absolute right decision for me. Personally it really didn't matter what anyone else thought (or currently thinks).

That's just me.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

LeonaCR
on 7/21/21 5:58 am

BriarRose
on 7/19/21 9:51 am

I only told my closest family members. I would not tell acquaintances or work colleagues about the details of an illness or of any other medical procedure. I had surgery at 55 years old. I didn't share my hysterectomy with people either - I am taking time off for some needed surgery. Same answer to both questions. As to how I lost weight ? " I eat less and move more " Both true. No lies. I eat protein and fruit and veggies and then a bit of healthy carbs. And a treat daily. Then I find something to praise about them - I love your shoes !" And they are off telling me about their shoes. Done.

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
LeonaCR
on 7/21/21 5:56 am

Thats so very true...we don't usually tell people about our other surgeries!

GracielaSusana
on 7/19/21 12:42 pm - Ft Myers, FL
RNY on 06/07/21

I've told everyone, but some I only told afterwards. After you have the surgery the usually keep their opinion to themselves. I got all positive feed back anyway.

LeonaCR
on 7/21/21 5:59 am

That's great that you have received positive feedback!

Kelly M.
on 7/20/21 4:17 pm - TX

First Congratulations and stay hydrated! Yes I did tell, my mom was very concerned with in her mind great reason to be. But she did tell me before I was having it she was ok and happy for me. Those haters out there that Im sure we all have waiting to see if Im going to gain have had no comfort from me and wont! And that has given me much happiness! Do what's best for you.

Kelly in Texas   Gastric Bypass   Oct 15 2012  

LeonaCR
on 7/21/21 6:00 am

Thank you! I am trying to stay hydrated for sure!

sweetpotato1959
on 7/20/21 8:56 pm

LeonaCR, I the planning stages of surgery and during recovery my family was supportive. I also had co workers who had had a similar surgery and were very secretive re:their procedure. My DM(DearMom) had surgery by same surgeon 6 months before i did. I was her support and caregiver( was required then for extensive open surgeries.- no longer absolute necessity-depending on individual and procedure.)

The long and short of it is i was open about my surgery after i had it with select few outside my family, and it was not freely discussed with those who had no idea of seriousness or Obesity metabolics or other issues.. the skinny ppl just did not usually understand.

It is a private medical decision and what ever the amount of open-ness you choose, is right FOR YOU.

You should never have to feel compelled to lie.It's your body, your decision and your life. NO one else's business.This surgery gives you a tool to have control over an area of life, you have never had control over before.

Find answers to anticipated questions, so you do not need to lie.. a simple" i don't wish to discuss it right now" ,should be sufficient.that covers not with the one that asked , and also covers those you would like to talk to about it, but time is insufficient. Before surgery... " I have surgery scheduled and expect to be off work for 2 weeks..beginning...date_". is one way to handle it with an employer...

Denise
Most Active