Embarrassing newbie question about exercise

BrennaRawks
on 12/11/12 3:35 am - CT
RNY on 10/03/12

Hi everyone! I'm a little over 2 months out from RNY. I'm not very happy with my weight loss so far. I need to get in more exercise but don't know where to start. Honestly, I'm just starting to get my mobility back.

Does anyone have suggestion for exercise at home for those with low mobility? I'm at a loss.

HW: 355 SW: 321 CW: 142 GW: 130

Lap RNY 10/3/12   Panniculectomy 8/6/14

Each day holds new victories!

Laura in Texas
on 12/11/12 3:57 am

Honestly, I did nothing the first 7 months and still got to goal. Try to get more activity in, but if mobility is an issue, I would not push yourself too much.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

acbbrown
on 12/11/12 6:29 am - Granada Hills, CA

When I was 420 lbs...I started by walking. Literally just 5-10 min at a time, and over the course of 2 years, worked my way up to running a half marathon. Those early days were absolutely miserable - it hurt, and I never wanted to do it, but I kept going, and it paid off. I wasn't burning a ton of calories, but I was building a base so that I could do more formal exercise. You have to start some where. 

I know there are some chair exercises you can do - google some videos. Id suggest picking something you like - like boxing, dancing, walking, yoga, weights - get some videos you can do at home. You can literally just start with 5 minutes at a time and work your way up - the goal is just to start moving - dont focus so much on the emphasis of working out to burn calories but just to start improving health, mobility, strength, flexibility. 

You can do this - great job for looking for ways to get started!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Phatchick
on 12/11/12 5:30 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

HI Brenna,

The trick to exercise is doing something you enjoy. I would have never got that concept 8 months ago.

I started with baby steps. I knew I could walk so i did. I got on my new 4 year old treadmill and walked for 5 minutes. My goal was 10 minutes. I did 5 everyday until I could do 10. I HATED EVERY MINUTE I WAS DOING IT. But I did not stop. I now work out about 1 1/2-2 hours everyday and love it.  

I am 54 and never exercised before. I started walking one month after having surgery.

I suggest working out 6 days a week at the beginning. This is because you want to create a new habit. Start out with 5 minutes and slowly work your way up to more. Take a day off to rest.

It got too hot to walk in my garage so I started the 1 mile walk with Leslie Sansone in my house. It was empowering to do that video because i completed it no problem. Then I went to the 2 mile and finally the 3 mile before i signed up for a gym membership.I now go to the gym everyday.

I found I love the water, so much of my workout is water aerobics, water zumba, swimming, water racing etc.  I also weight train everyday which I love too. It is amazing to see and feel muscles on this old bod .

You will be amazed at what your body can accomplish. 7 months ago, 5 minutes on a treadmill was my work-out. Now when I go to the gym I warm-up for 20 minutes on the arc trainer. I then do my 1 hour work-out. If someone would have told me I would be working out everyday for 2 hours I would have called them insane.

You will get more than weight loss if you work out. You will obtain peace of mind, strength, self confidence, and a spring in your step that cannot be obtained any other way.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know how you do. I'm cheering for you.

Sharon

mickeymantle
on 12/13/12 2:12 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I have trouble walking so I go to the pool 5-6 days a week , for a arthious class and water aerobics , spent 1 1/2-2 hours a day in the pool, surgical tube bands work ok for exercise at home or a bike

Lucky2talk2
on 12/15/12 7:24 am - Renton, WA
First off... no reason to be embarrassed in this forum with questions like these. I am pretty sure that alot of us were in the same boat starting out. I can speak of my excersize or ways to get going. Like most, start small and build it up. Not sure exactly what your mobility looks like or is... but for me I could hardly get out of bed and do much walking. Standing for a longer than few minutes at a time was what seemed the impossible.
I had to "think outside of the box".
Be creative and make it fun. Ok, so not always is it fun... but it can be so worth it as you begin to see the gains in your mobility and the losses of your weight.
Remember, movement more than you are currently doing is going to give you burn. If your body is not used to getting up throughout the day, change that. Meaning, stand up and sit down more than you normally do. If you can do that, but have difficulty standing... then get up and stand a few seconds more than you could before. Try to increase the things that you do normally to live. If you can walk, walk a bit more each day with the simple things. It is finding ways to get more movement into you day... more activity. Find ways to do go out of your way to increase this. I fould cans of food worked for me as weights to do arm lifts as it got easier. I also was able to get a bike that could be taken apart, the pedal part would be put on my bed eventually for me to use as I lay there. Eventually as I lost I could get on the floor flat and then eventually able to put the stationary trike bike together to be able to ride it. I had access to pools, but even that was a challenge. Through each thing that I regained the ability to do with regards to mobility and living was all in process and took "thinking outside of the box".
There are so many things that can be done to burn calories especially when we have not been doing actiivities or movements.
Just remember to do more than you did yesterday. Your body will react to changes. As we start out it will be our marathons. Not always easy. Each time you make a change for the better in more movement it will be a conquer of that marahon. Just keep upping the activities as you go. Push yourself harder and then as it gets easier, push something more.

YouTube is also a great place to go. They have videos posted there for free use of so many different excersizes. If you find something that you enjoy, Modify it to fit your needs. Be honest to yourself on if it to easy. You can always make things to fit your needs with excersize. Be PROUD OF YOURSELF for you accomplishments in ea*****h or step that they come by!!

You can do this and I feel will do great in finding what works for you. Low impact will work for you.

PS.. you have lost weight and are doing great!!!!!!!! You will see your goal and will be in maintenece before you know it! Practice good healthy activities now so that you will find what you love to do. Surgery is a tool, finding life long ways of change to go along with your weight loss will help in loss and maintaining!!

HUGS!

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

Most Active