Recent Posts

paknee
on 1/6/16 12:05 am - Savannah, GA
Topic: RE: Thyroid Cancer survivor - which WLS would be best??

I have been researching also.  I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer 2/2015.  I had TT and RAI.  I want to have the gastric sleeve done.  The bariatric Dr is saying I need to be 2-3 years cancer free before he will consider.  Any idea why?

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/15 11:18 pm - Russia
Topic: RE: Daily aspirin may reduce colon cancer risk

Whenever I heard about cancer feel like if I had cancer I would have died right after hearing that but I would like to tell all of you, do not think as I think because now medicine and other technology has innovated for successful cancer treatment.

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/15 2:06 am - Russia
Topic: RE: kidney cancer-any others dealing with tumors after R&Y

Thanks, to share this with us. I had mined at long ago and I wish the pain had been gone all at once like vanish forever.

shutrbugjo
on 11/1/15 2:33 pm
Topic: RE: Tamoxifen

I have not had WLS yet, but I have attributed some of the weight gain that has brought me to this point to be due to taking Tamoxifen. I have not gotten a clear read on this from doctors -- some say it does, some say it doesn't -- but I believe it has made me gain weight -- or at the very least made it next to impossible to lose weight. I've been on it for a little over 3 years after being treated for breast cancer.

M_reeds
on 10/8/15 7:21 am
Topic: RE: Kidney Cancer

Looking at this post and your replies im glad you look forward positive in life.

alicespeaks
on 9/10/15 1:57 am
Topic: Daily aspirin may reduce colon cancer risk

New research suggests a daily dose of aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) can reduce a person’s risk of colon cancer.Their findings suggest a daily baby aspirin (one or two pills) for a minimum of five years may reduce the risk of colon cancer

Source: Daily aspirin may reduce colon cancer risk

Kara R.
on 8/18/15 12:47 pm - Sarnia, Canada
Topic: RE: CML and Gleevec

Nora - if you are on Facebook, there is a secret group called Friends by Choice, CML Sisters by Blood -- there are several women on there who have become pregnant and breastfed babies while still dealing with the CML.  I think a few have also had gastric bypass ...

If you are interested in the group, send me a message with your email address and I can add you.  It's hard being in the minority, isn't it? (rare blood cancer AND gastric bypass)

I am not here.  I am lost.  I have gone to find myself.  If I should get back before I return, please ask me to wait!   

Kara R.
on 8/18/15 12:45 pm - Sarnia, Canada
Topic: RE: CML and Gleevec

I had my RNY 5 years before I was diagnosed with Ph+ CML.  RNY July 7/09, CML diagnosis July 3/14.  I was first put on Gleevec, but my body couldn't tolerate it at all.  I'm now on Tasigna, but my absorption issues have made it so that even the maximum dosage (400mg twice a day) didn't work ... I got taken above the maximum dosage and am now on 900mg/day (3x150mg, twice a day) and my counts are FINALLY stabilizing.

While it is recommended to take Gleevec with food to minimize GI upset, it isn't necessary.  Even something like a protein shake can help cushion the nasty side effects of the Gleevec.

Alternatively, your oncologist may look at switching medications if there are issues.  Sprycel is another which has a good response and can be taken with or without food, but pleural effusion is a well-known and fairly common side effect.  Tasigna needs to be taken on an empty stomach ... the box insert says no food for two hours before or one hour after.  However, because food doesn't stay in our system as long, my oncologist cut the timing in half (no food an hour before or half an hour after).  If you have any issues with blood sugar control, Tasigna can be problematic.

I am not here.  I am lost.  I have gone to find myself.  If I should get back before I return, please ask me to wait!   

happyteacher
on 8/6/15 3:09 pm

I initially lost about 10 pounds during the first 6 weeks or so, and then no weight gain. This was post vsg but prior to a double mastectomy and reconstruction then revision. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Baby1234
on 8/5/15 7:48 pm

I am on anastrazole and a monthly Nupron injection.I am 2 years post metastatic breast cancer.I have gained 40 pounds.I am seeking WLS to a gastric sleeve.

Most Active